TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:17:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Fureys  (Read 16177 times)
clive
Called out for 'Olive'
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Leicester

Why do I always want to learn guitar in August?

« on: April 23, 2006, 11:37:54 AM »

or I didn't Predict a Riot...

I wasn't sure about this from the start, for one I was Billy-no-mates, I couldn't entice anyone along and Mrs C had
gone to Malvern to watch a play with her mother (we know how to rock in our house) and second, it doesn't exactly
shout teenage kicks especially as Leicester audiences can be a bit tame on occasions.

I only really know The Fureys and Davey Arthur because they got a fair bit of airplay on local radio in Liverpool but
'When you were Sweet Sixteen' is just one of those songs that has stuck with me. Instant memories of the days when I
didn't have to worry about a damn thing.

First off, apologies to anyone whose offspring have themselves had children but sure enough, it was Grab a Granny
night at the Y Theatre. Fortunately it was a table and chair setup on the lower floor and In the absence of anyone my
age I sat down with a group who at least looked like they wouldn't need CPR by the end of the night. Equally
fortunately there were quite a few familly groups, like the lot on our table. Father, his mother, wife, their  twentysomething daughter with boyfriend and others. Full house, about 200 all in all I'd guess.

Something odd happened by the second song, drinks were piling up on the table (the bar was slow so people bought in
bulk) and nearly everyone was singing along. Voluntarily. Without cajoling from the artists. This continued for most
of the night, brilliant atmosphere and dare I say it, yes the craic was good. I suspect some dormant Irish genes woke
up last night.

You know how there's always somone who yabbers away during a gig. This time instead of furrowed brows, tuts and
stares the offenders got a full on broadside 'shut up' from a group of sixtysomethings in the corner. Joy.

Oh yes, the music. All round excellence. Davey has a fine, rich voice which he uses to full effect, there was a fine array of instruments on stage and the guitar-banjo duelling instrumental was scary to watch. There are some fine songs on the new album, trad but not too
trad and sadly, some are homages to friends lost. 'Sixteen' raised the roof, the aforementioned daughter rushed over
and sat at the feet of her father and they all rocked side to side, only half ironically I think. 11 o'clock came
around far too soon.
Catch the rest of the tour if you can and get these people to a stage near Cropredy; trust me they probably know more
drinking songs than the Mahones.

It wasn't me. The cat done it.
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 12:16:46 PM »

get these people to a stage near Cropredy; trust me they probably know more
drinking songs than the Mahones.

We had them there a few years ago and they were a flop. Finbar sat at the front of the stage telling long intros and interesting info about the Irish pipes in his gentle voice but never held the audience. They are not really a festival act, nothing to do with the audience age, either IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, I have seen them several times on theatre stage's and they are great. Just not Cropppers
clive
Called out for 'Olive'
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 12:18:40 PM »

What year ??

Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 01:09:18 PM »

1990 I think, didn't seem em but wouldn't have minded doing so. Bought the CD for my granny and while there's a bit too much schmaltz, some of it's really good. Great instrumentally too - Davey Arthur's wrote one of the best tunes (Tam Lin - the reel, not the song); and Finbar's a top notch pipe (he was the piper in 'Gangs of New York').

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
GraemeH

Loc: Nottingham

Dark Side of the Penguin

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 07:05:53 PM »

1990 it was - the year before my Cropredy debut.

This is a quote from "The Woodworm Era" book, which explains why it didn't work too well:

"Folk artists are not always best suited to a massive festival sound system. Used to earning their livings in 500-seater halls, they stand back from the microphone, making it impossible for the crew to generate enough volume. The Fureys in 1990 were a case in point. Whilst a wonderful live band in either concert or club, their sound engineers were overawed by the equipment in use at Cropredy, and they were drowned in the general hubbub of the field. Nowadays, Peggy has to implore every folk act without experience of a festival PA to 'gob the mike' in order to make themselves heard."

If that's anything to go by, it wasn't entirely their fault - I'd like to think that 2nd time around it could be made to work...

This means nothing to me,
The way we were is the way I want to be.
clive
Called out for 'Olive'
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 10:21:13 PM »

Ta Graeme, even I would have remembered seeing the Fureys at Cropredy.

A shame the performance was below par for purely technical reasons. I'd have to go with Peggy's suggestion based on what I  heard last night.
Hopefully stage sound systems have improved and simplified over the last 16 years.

Going to Brum? I can't make the trip over.

abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 10:42:15 PM »

i remember my mother listening to the furys when i was a kid, and although i havent heard stuff for years it still brings back fond memories Cheesy

it'll be fine.......
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 10:13:59 AM »

They became a bit "cabaret" and lost a lot of credibility - certainly over here. Sadly, they are always viewed as the poor man's Dubliners......................

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 11:13:03 AM »

The sun was shining as I lay back listening to the Fureys' Steal Away...  it was 1990 and my first Croppers...  the breeze blew the sound around a bit.. but it was an unforgettable moment...  the song, the sunshine, the atmosphere.... that was the moment that I knew I didn't want to be anywhere else on that weekend... ever...

Good to hear they are still going strong Clive Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: