TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 20, 2024, 07:05:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oxford Folk Festival 2006  (Read 153724 times)
David Delarre
Pocklington? I've never pockled..

Loc: Essex

Cheestastic!

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2006, 11:31:57 PM »

Should be a cracking fest, I'll be trying to get me girlfriend to buy me a ticket, as it is my birthday in April!

Cant wait for On English Ground, saw the first show in November and it was spell binding.

Hurrah!

Mawkin - New Album 'Crow' out 21st of April 2012
T
Proper Job!

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2006, 06:53:22 PM »

I read that as "I'll be trying to get me a girlfriend to buy me a ticket" and thought that was a bit going to extremes! Wink
Pete Standing
Cheesy Wonder

Loc: Oxford UK

fka Cheesy

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2006, 03:11:39 PM »

Latest news:

Spiers and Boden to do festival pre-event at the Holywell Music Room, 17th Feb

The festival now has its own forum - not that we wish you to stop discussing it here! Link from the main page.

www.oxfordfolkfestival.com

If the devil is so bad, why has he got all the best tunes?
Pete Standing
Cheesy Wonder

fka Cheesy

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2006, 09:53:15 PM »

Any news on the Steward application front?
The form is now available on the web site.

Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2006, 10:05:29 PM »

Any news on the Steward application front?
The form is now available on the web site.

The b*gger beat me to it........

So come on, have a think about it... there's no better place to be in early April that Oxford. The company will be fantastic and the music even better.  Grin

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2006, 10:16:36 PM »

Just to update you on the festival.

We have had fabulous news that we have been awarded a grant of £10000 by the Arts Council that will enable us to expand our programme of public and family events.

Chief amongst these will be the creation of Melomania (I know, it sounds like an illness), an eight piece marching melodian band featuring squeezbox maestros John Spiers and Dave Townsend which will be accompanied by various other musicians and dancers plus a Hobby Horse and Jack in the Green.

It will also mean that we can have more children's events, street entertainers and general madness.

The second lot of good news is that we have been invited to use the gardens and piazzas of newly opened Oxford Castle site (http://www.oxfordcastle.com/home.html), which houses the first ever hotel built in a (now redundant) prison, to house our outdoor events. These will include the folk-jazz band Tongues of Fire, the New St George Waits, The Outside Capering Crew, belly dancer Nikki Livermore and dancing giant effigies of King Stephen and Queen Matilda, who are closely associated with the Castle site.

The Castle will now also be our main Morris dancing site.

We are also pleased to announce that we have a unique special accommodation/season ticket package of two nights in a traditional Oxford College coupled with a Festival season ticket.

Full details can be found on  http://www.oxfordfolkfestival.com/2006/index.html.

Sandra

Boatgirl
I split my pink wellies

Loc: Cropredy

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2006, 02:05:00 PM »

Hurrah for Sandy and all the organisers! That's really great news, the prison development will be a great place for Morris dancing (sigh, if only they would put the canal basin back in instead of that awful car park that side of the city centre would be completely rejuvenated).

I digress. Really looking forward to April and Boatboy and I are still well up for stewarding if you still need people (flourescent yellow is so me).   Grin

"What you can do or think you can do, begin it. For boldness has magic, power, and genius in it." Goethe
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2006, 03:42:50 PM »

I've tried to email about the accommdation package, using the contact click, but it's bounced, is it me or the click on the site please?

Mic- I bet it's Fred Roll Eyes

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2006, 04:26:47 PM »

Others have got through, Mic, but I will check it out tonight.

In the meantime any enquiries can be sent to me at info@oxfordfolkfestival.com or sandra@oxfordfolkfestival.com.

Sandra

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2006, 08:00:24 PM »

Nice plug in the new Word magazine - the only festival listed in their A-Z of the best things about the new folk revival. Trebles all round, chums  Smiley

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2006, 11:42:55 AM »

As can be seen from the 'countdown' at the top of this page - there is currenlty just 38 days to go to OFF 2006

As can be seen from the OFF website (http://www.oxfordfolkfestival.com/) 2006 looks like being another triumphant year.

With events taking place at the Town Hall, the Holywell Room, Oxford Castle and other sites the need for stewards has never been greater.

If anyone feels that they might like to\be able to help then I would love to hear from you - drop me a line at stuart@oxfordfolkfestival.com

If you are not sure and just want to find out more, then get in touch with me - no experience is necessary, just a desire to help out at this terrific festival & rub shoulders with some very decent Folk folks (the beer is very good too)

Hope to hear from you soon

Stu

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2006, 07:31:57 PM »

Just another update.

The Oxford Folk Festival have been given their own stage at this year's Cornbury Festival. It will be on the Sunday of the festival and will be housed in a 1000 seater Big Top. We are currently sorting out what we hope will be a really exciting line up.

The festival is on 8th and 9th July (when I will be on holiday, boo, hoo).

Cornbury's site is at http://www.cornburyfestival.com/ (its rumoured to be the only festival that has catering by Waitrose).

More info as we get it.

Sandra

Ps The Oxford Folk Festival web site has been updated again. More info on the free events at the Castle site and more.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 08:21:35 PM by sandy » Logged

Anne Dunn
Gr...Annie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Royston

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2006, 08:55:19 AM »

Hi Sandra
Where exactly is Cornbury? And do you know any of the artists who will be appearing?
We have a free weekend then and it sounds interesting.

Anne

(by the way, we seem to have given up booking holidays in the festival season! (apart from Sidmouth last year and this))

Learn From the Past, Live in the Present, Create the Future
Fi
Savoy

Loc: Somewhere near Oxford

My child is addicted to Zingzillas...

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2006, 10:06:56 AM »

Hi Anne

Cornbury Park is a lovely country house setting  is in North Oxfordshire, nearish to Woodstock/Witney:

http://www.cornburypark.co.uk/

And is famous for being in the Argos adverts!

Their own website has loads of information...

I suspect there may be a need for a "Cornbury Festival" thread now... Cheesy

Pete Standing
Cheesy Wonder

fka Cheesy

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2006, 11:42:16 PM »

The final tickets prices for all concerts are now on the web site plus a detailed schedule of who and what is happening when.

Don't forget if you want to get to enjoy some fantastic music for free, check out the scedule for the most convenient time to volunteer to be a steward.

http://www.oxfordfolkfestival.com

Anne Dunn
Gr...Annie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Royston

« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2006, 04:14:34 PM »

Thanks for that, just printed it out.

Home with my marker pen now! I sometimes think I enjoy the anticipation more than the actual event  Grin

Learn From the Past, Live in the Present, Create the Future
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2006, 04:49:30 PM »

If anyone wants tickets for just the Bellowhead concert I suggest you get them now at http://www.oxfordplayhouse.com/Calendar/TO/view.asp?Promoter=76  as they are selling fast.

Weekend Season and Day tickets are still available, and include admission to all concerts and events.

Sandra

PS Our stewarding needs continue to grow as the festival expands by the day, so if you are interested contact Stuart (Nuthouse) on stewards@oxfordfolkfestival.com

Pete Standing
Cheesy Wonder

fka Cheesy

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2006, 10:27:45 PM »

Thanks for that, just printed it out.

Home with my marker pen now! I sometimes think I enjoy the anticipation more than the actual event  Grin
Was it Phillip Larkin or John Betjeman who (kind of) said that it is better to travel than to arrive?

Anyway, away mark away, there'll be glossy progs at the festival this year.

AndyCarter
Good Ole Boy

Loc: Chalfont St Peter, Bucks, England

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2006, 10:51:22 AM »

Probably a silly question, but I've bought some tickets for my family and I've got the piece of paper back to swap for their wristbands, but it doesn't seem to mention where you have to go to do this. Would I be right in assuming the Town Hall? And is it the same place for performers wristbands?

Thanks
Andy

Putting the bottom into folk bands since 1979

https://hindzeit.wordpress.com/
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2006, 11:35:40 AM »

All wristbands (season ticket, day ticket, artists etc.) can be collected from the Box Office in the Town Hall.

Fi has made sure that they will come in colours to brighten your heart.

Sandra

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: