TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 15, 2024, 05:53:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour 2011 - Reviews  (Read 97608 times)
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2011, 11:13:24 AM »

I was most impressed with Ric's little acoustic bass guitar which he played when Dave was on mandolin. It took a while to realise he was playing bass as I though it was a tenor guitar or something similar. Can anyone give me some more info on that instrument? Would he have been playing it thru an octaver effects pedal?

No octaver pedals or trickery involved...Ric was playing a bass ukulele for the nautical section of BL and Celtic Moon, an example of which can be found here :
http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/0706229/details.html?kbid=1582
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »

We got there at 7.00, and there was already barely a seat left in the central block.  Luckily, we just about managed to find two seats there (we don't like sitting at the side at the Platform - it's an odd space at the Platform, I feel).

We were just getting in the car when we realised we had completely forgotten to buy the new CD.... have now ordered it, though!

I wonder if they're aware of the venue at Lancaster University? The Great Hall I think it's called. I've seen Show of Hands there and it's a much better venue than the Platform.

Ditto re the cd. I got into a discussion with a friend afterwards about the early line-ups. He was convinced that MOTL was written after the motorway crash (Mrs B thought the same) and that Dave Pegg was in the line-up at that point. I managed to convince him that Ashley played on that song but I really didn't have the energy to go thru the line-ups album by album up to B Lee! Not after 3 hours of fabulous music. T'was home time.

PS Thanks for the bass uke info Dan. Mmm, want one of them! Bit pricey tho'.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2011, 12:24:06 PM »

I wonder if they're aware of the venue at Lancaster University? The Great Hall I think it's called. I've seen Show of Hands there and it's a much better venue than the Platform.

It is called the Great Hall, yes. I imagine it would be good, though I've only ever seen classical concerts there. I've often wondered why the chaps don't play the Grand Theatre in Lancaster. I know Steeleye have played there in the past, and I would have thought it's about the right size.

I don't much care for the Platform as a venue. It has a certain character, but the room is too long and the acoustics a bit naff. And those seats are unusually productive of unpleasant posterioral aches!
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2011, 12:43:29 PM »

I've often wondered why the chaps don't play the Grand Theatre in Lancaster. I know Steeleye have played there in the past, and I would have thought it's about the right size.

I forgot about the Grand but yes, you're right, it would suit them down to the ground. I've heard that the Guildhall in Preston is under threat of closure but I must admit I've never been to a gig there.

I was pleasantly surprised by the number of youngsters in the audience last night. I saw one couple with quite a young kid leave before the end as it was doubtless way past his bedtime!

Martin Simpson in Kendal tonight. Not seen him since he played at the Glasson Dock Festival back in 2005. Should be a good one.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2011, 01:09:18 PM »

I forgot about the Grand but yes, you're right, it would suit them down to the ground. I've heard that the Guildhall in Preston is under threat of closure but I must admit I've never been to a gig there.

I've seen Fairport there in the past. The acoustics are dire for amplified music, though I'm told it's good for orchestral music.

I was pleasantly surprised by the number of youngsters in the audience last night. I saw one couple with quite a young kid leave before the end as it was doubtless way past his bedtime!

I had one in tow myself, as mentioned above. If you saw a young chap in  a Led Zep t-shirt, you saw him. It was well after his bedtime by the end, but you've got to educate your kids, haven't you? Smiley
ChrisN
n3wb

Loc: Southport, UK

« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2011, 03:25:55 PM »

Siobhan beat me to the computer today but I feel a need to add my bit about last night in Morecambe.

BL has always been one of my favourite Fairport albums - it has some of Swarb's best vocals, I reckon, and some of those wonderful musical moments, and really powerful lyrics, that send real shivers down my spine every time I listen to it.

I think I remember the band performing the whole thing at Cropredy in the early 1980s, and enjoying it, but last night was just extraordinary, mainly due to Chris' vocal performance in all the Swarb parts.  He made it his own, while also staying faithful to Swarb's approach to the songs - which can't have been an easy thing to achieve.  And in places (I too would pick out "Cell Song" in particular), his singing was nothing short of exquisite.  

And yes, the shivers down the spine were there too.  Thank you Chris and Fairport!

Chris N
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2011, 04:09:52 PM »

I think I remember the band performing the whole thing at Cropredy in the early 1980s, and enjoying it

Friday, 13 August 1982 (when, incidentally, Fairport 'supported' Home Service...)

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2011, 04:17:45 PM »

I may as well chip in with my Morecambe related thoughts, I came in half through the fine support slot obviously from what previous posters have said the doors open at seven thirty was a bit bogus. Ended up out at the edge where the sound was sub optinal bt hey ho! Thoroughly enjoyed JBL with HUGE thumbs up for Chris Leslie for an outstanding performance.  Smiley
Great to hear so many good new songs as well, although I will go on record that I prefer the original of "Celtic Moon"
I left before the end as the combination of early shift at work and the most uncomfortable seats in the world took their toll on my aching body but felt I surely got my money's worth!

Happy mainly.
Mick
n3wb

Loc: North Derbyshire (via Planet Gong)

« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2011, 09:56:14 PM »

Hi everyone,

I thought the Chesterfield gig was superb, particularly perfect renditions of 'Sailor's Alphabet', Matty Groves, and 'Who knows where....'

The fellas were on form (musically and wit!)

Cheers

Mick
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2011, 07:04:27 AM »

The Maltings was packed.  The seats hard and the queue for the bar and toilets long at times.

A very good evening, though JBL is not one of my favourite albums, it was nice to hear it through and it was not as i remembered it. The standout track for me last night during bl was the sailors alphabet.  The new stuff was a lot better than I expected and I didnt really miss any of the old favourites. The second half flew past finishing with the wkwttg, mg and motl.  Except for Ric's bass uke it was also virtually a uke free zone.

Kat & Jamie were very good and I am looking forward to seeing them again sometime soon in April back at the maltings.

According to Fairport the weather in a certain part of Oxfordhire is going to be drought like for most of the sumer and the only problem forseen is the clouds of dust kicked up by the audience.  A good proportion of the audience laughed Smiley

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2011, 06:59:37 PM »

Just spotted Mr Nicol in the Wetherspoons across the road from the venue. He's not who I am here to meet though. Cool

Think he missed the fight. Oh dear!  Sad
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 07:14:03 PM by GubGub (Al) » Logged
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2011, 09:34:03 AM »

I know I started it, but back on topic please.
I'll write more later.

[attachment deleted by admin]

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2011, 10:30:46 AM »

Judging by Colin's photo he was up in the posh seats so will be interested to hear what it was like from up there. We were down in the stalls, about 6 pews back in front of Simon. It seemed like a pretty full house downstairs.

I thought Katriona & Jamie were really good and am looking forward to listening to their new CD, the only song I'f heard before was Fleetwood Fair and they got a big round of applause for their Hancock award, although I wonder quite how many people knew what a Hancock is. Perhaps a few nerves on show, but nothing wrong with that.

Not much point in going through the Fairport set, everyone else has already said what is on offer. I looked at the set list, of which there were several lying around on various desks, before we started and saw no surprises, but one disappointment was that we didn't get WKWTTG - presumably the time went.

Babbacombe Lee was prefaced by a quick resume by Simon who also told us it would be OK to show our appreciation between items if we were so moved, I think this helped avoid any uncertainities and there was the occasional hiatus for instrument changes. One of these went on longer than anticipated due to instruments in the wrong place. Cue Peggy's stamping on the stage and muttering about "this scaffolding looks a bit dodgy" (or similar). Much applause at the end, especailly for Chris who played hte part of Dave Swarbrick very well, and then off for the trip to the merch table. I think this is where the time went as we got longer than 15 minutes.

Back for the second half and lots of new stuff, although some has been aired before of course, and it all went down well. Ric's jokes don't get much better although we did enjoy the spoonerisms. Having only heard Rui's Guitar once before (last Agust in the rain) I was interested to see how familiar it seemed, that Chris Leslie writes a good tune. No instrumental wig-outs - the nearest we got was Danny Jack's Reward with its highlighting of the rhythm section. A big cheer for My Lord Gerald of Conway. We finshed with a basic Matty and then community singing for MotL, with added cornet and the return of Kat & Jamie.

My only negative comment is that the sound wasn't as clear as has been in the past - especially the vocals, and the bass was rumbling rather than clear notes. I don't know if this an effect of the Union Chapel. Other than that it was all as good as usual and great to see a band preparped to take chance on playing osmething really old alongside something really new. Let's hope some of the old favourites have enjoyed their rest and we'll be able to welcome them back next year. Roll on Wintour 28! If it's in the Union Chapel I must remember to take a cushion.

PS - celebrity spot, we had Alun Armstrong sitting right behind us so when he spoke or laughed it was if we'd entered an episode of New Tricks.

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2011, 11:32:50 AM »

For a minute there Colin I thought you meant you'd started the fight!

Not much to add to the above review other than that we were up in the gallery as a result of arriving a little late. The sound was really not great up there. Very boomy and echoey. Fascinating venue though. Special praise should be given to Peggy's backing vocals during BL. He has to sing and remember almost as much as Chris and it was highly effective.

Enjoyable night. I just wish I could have heard it with better sound. The new and unfamiliar material got a bit lost as a result.
YaBB Master (Colin)
Administrator

« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2011, 01:00:16 PM »

Day started out badly. John Lewis  Tongue
Things improved rapidly at the salt beef bar in Selfridges.

The Union Chapel is a very atmospheric venue, but the acoustics are awful. It's mostly the vocals that get muddied dreadfully by the echo. About half way through Babbacombe Lee something was tweaked and that improved things a bit.

Katriona & Jamie were great, but I now want to hear them somewhere with a clearer sound.

The set list has really revitalised the Wintour.
Viv (Lady YaBB) had only ever heard the 'hits' from Babbacombe Lee, so I was a bit wary as to how the whole thing would be received, but she really liked it. She was also very happy that we got comfy seats in the bar and a couple of drinks. Forty years seemed to flash by.

I think Festival Bell is definitely the strongest album that Fairport have done this century, so tracks from it filled the second half without any problem. (Still not sure about Darkside Wood.)
Lots of changes in instruments and vocals, with some particularly fine bass playing from Peggy.

The journey home was also entertaining thanks to the Crawley Town supporters, who had been on a grand day out to Manchester.

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2011, 04:06:28 PM »

Two thoughts. I hope that BL is reprised at Cropredy and, notwithstanding the new album, I hope they put out a recording of the new interpretation of BL at some point. I've even got a name for it. The Man They Couldn't Hang: Live!
YaBB Master (Colin)
Administrator

« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2011, 04:51:19 PM »

->

[attachment deleted by admin]

Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2011, 06:48:18 PM »

Don't remember that set at Chesterfield  Huh

David VB

Loc: Abingdon

« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2011, 07:26:19 PM »

Totally agree about last night.  Perhaps the winter tour had got a little samey and the changes really gave it a lift. Nice to hear an unadorned Matty again, but the big surprise was just how strong the new material was. The new album gets better every tme and how nice to see Simon on electric more.

Not as passionate about JBL as some on here as I didn't know it at the time, but really enjoyed it and do agree a new recorded version would be good to have. (Hope this isn't going to be a trend for album based evenings - don't fancy the Gottle of Geer tour!)

Took friend of son who had never seen Fairport before - another one won over!
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2011, 11:59:06 AM »

Cambridge last night was good....very good! Was thinking I wasn't going to like BL but it was great; the muscianship shone through more than ever and Chris's voice superb!

Loved the whole show, refreshing and so different.

On a personal note, please don't let Peggy sing (other than backing or duetting.  Roll Eyes Having said that its the first time I had my eyes opened to what a fantastic bass player he is, must be the new pink/mauve guitar!

Loved Simon on electric, definitely wanted more of that, especially on Wild Cape Horn, I liked Fairport's version but felt it needed more 'drive' and less chorusy singy-songy if you get my drift?! I think Simon should play the electric guitar on that one!Still haven't bought the new album, maybe tempted now.

Good to chat with Ollie, Diane and of course Martin Driver  Wink Think Ric stole his Pirate jokes from Pugs  Grin

Katrina and Jamie were good and the Hancock award was mentioned at least twice.

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: