TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 03, 2024, 12:53:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 858913 times)
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #2100 on: May 29, 2024, 01:19:51 PM »

Thanks for that. Saw the Bristol gig and it was just as the review says. A minor stumble over a lyric here or there but a refreshing and varied set. Jack Hobbs is a very fine player and has mastered a lot of his Grandad's technique. Loved the interplay between the two of them.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #2101 on: May 30, 2024, 08:19:04 PM »

Here’s another. Yes, before you mention it, ‘Zac’.  Wink https://louderthanwar.com/richard-thompson-bristol-beacon-live-review/

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2102 on: May 31, 2024, 09:29:37 AM »

Here’s another. Yes, before you mention it, ‘Zac’.  Wink https://louderthanwar.com/richard-thompson-bristol-beacon-live-review/

Hmmm. I'm fairly certain Beeswing wouldn't have been my highlight of the concert.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #2103 on: May 31, 2024, 10:30:01 AM »

Hmmm. I'm fairly certain Beeswing wouldn't have been my highlight of the concert.

Well, you weren't there, so... Roll Eyes

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2104 on: May 31, 2024, 10:34:27 AM »

But I have heard another of the gigs.  And I'm not a particular fan (that's probably overstating it, but I don't think it's an automatic Top 3 RT song like most seem to) of the song, so on balance I reckon I'll allow my own opinion to stand...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #2105 on: May 31, 2024, 11:25:20 AM »

Thanks for the review, pretty much says what I wouldn't have the words to say. Zac it is from now on!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2106 on: May 31, 2024, 11:43:43 AM »

But I have heard another of the gigs.  And I'm not a particular fan (that's probably overstating it, but I don't think it's an automatic Top 3 RT song like most seem to) of the song, so on balance I reckon I'll allow my own opinion to stand...

I'm with you David. There are two songs that I slightly dread at any RT show ( though I am not seeing this tour). One is Beeswing. The other is 1952 Vincent Black Lightning. I appreciate that this is a minority view.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2107 on: May 31, 2024, 12:28:58 PM »

I'm with you David. There are two songs that I slightly dread at any RT show ( though I am not seeing this tour). One is Beeswing. The other is 1952 Vincent Black Lightning. I appreciate that this is a minority view.

Heresy! He's a witch!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2108 on: May 31, 2024, 12:43:24 PM »

Heresy! He's a witch!

Jules

Snigger.  What have I started?  Vincent isn't in my Top 10 either...I kind of respect it rather than love it.

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2109 on: May 31, 2024, 04:12:55 PM »

Snigger.  What have I started?  Vincent isn't in my Top 10 either...I kind of respect it rather than love it.

In theory, I'd think the same. He's always guaranteed to play it, so by rights it should be overfamiliar. But then the song begins, and before long I'm weeping buckets. Every single time. Masterpiece.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2110 on: May 31, 2024, 05:12:34 PM »

Damned if he plays VBL, damned if he doesn't.
What's a master songsmith who's never really had a hit to do ?
Play what's arguably his nearest equivalent.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2111 on: June 01, 2024, 09:05:04 AM »

Heresy! He's a witch!

Jules

I haven't seen RT live since the 90s,  but  '1952 Vincent...' got far too many radio plays for my liking. I don't care if I never hear it again. 'Beeswing' is another matter.  I bought Mirror Blue blue vinyl reissue  and that track is a highlight for me.
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #2112 on: June 01, 2024, 09:59:53 AM »

Two gigs this week. On Wednesday, the Sound of Springsteen at the Grand in Blackpool. Very enjoyable tribute band who caught the spirit of the Boss very well.

And then last night RT at Aviva International in Manchester. As all the reviews have said, he and the band are on great form. Very good mix of classics, rare old stuff, new material and a few surprises. Oh and no VBL but we did get Dimming of the Day in its place.
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #2113 on: June 01, 2024, 03:57:05 PM »

Meant to say, Jim Moray did a very fine set supporting RT. He is really is a fine guitarist, always good to hear him playing Lord Douglas.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #2114 on: June 01, 2024, 04:47:12 PM »

We saw RT too, last week…agree with what people have said/linked to. Loved hearing RT doing Beeswing and Dimming of the Day by himself. Zac was fantastic, ably taking on some of the big solos…good to hear the legacy being passed on.

Also, I would add, we liked the way the show alternated between old and new,interweaving the tracks… giving enough of a taster for the new work and plenty of classics. (Strange choice of song, we thought, to commemorate fifty years of ‘Bright lights tonight’…..’Withered and died’!).

The support guy, Jim Moray, has a fantastic voice, but for me he did too many narrative/story songs and I can only take so many.

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #2115 on: June 01, 2024, 06:05:50 PM »

Dimming of the Day is one of my all-time favourite songs.

Flobbadob!
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #2116 on: June 01, 2024, 11:59:57 PM »

Saltlines, performed by Raynor Winn and the Gigspanner Big Band at the Subscription Rooms in Stroud.

A word on the premises: impressive

Some words about the performance: a folk rhapsody, perhaps even a folk tone poem in the first half. All the musicians pulled their weight and Raynor Winn was an interesting speaker and very friendly to chat with afterwards.

It was an unusual evening and all the better for that.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #2117 on: Yesterday at 11:00:41 AM »

RT last night in Stoke. Absolutely brilliant , one of the best. We seemed to get about 10 minutes longer than other gigs reported, partly due to a shouted extra encore request of Vincent. Beeswing and Vincent were both fab, definitely two of my faves. Nice to see/hear some rarely played oldies too. Zac was great Wishbone Ash eat your heart out. Also bumped into old school chum and ex RT and Clive Gregson roadie Paul Owen who was desperately trying to find the new Tour Manager to get backstage. Recommended to all despite the high ticket price. Nick Mason at the same venue next week then on to Beardy.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: