TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:16:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Concert Chatter  (Read 411479 times)
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2005, 07:34:20 PM »

My bet is that the artist doesn't like it much either....

That's totally confused me Chris, as I've been close to the front at a lot of his gigs and it's really nice to see him smile or look up when a song is acknowledged.

I'll agree with jj, last night was excellent, although 'very polite'. I felt that he was giving us a lot of effort to put on an excellent performance and the audience wasn't (at times) acknowledging his undoubted skills. He is a master with words, creating superb imagery, taking you different places with his songs, making you think, creating different emotions and that's not talking about his playing.

And, no, I'm not a 'Ralph can do not wrong' sort of sycophant, I just appreciate someone who can use language so descriptively, poetically.  Adding his musicianship and his modesty he's, as Billy Connolly put it , a 'National Treasure'.

ps where were you Jess?

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Geoff

Loc: Wigan, Lancashire.

now it's come to talking, I don't have much to say

« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2005, 11:59:15 PM »

Just got back from a wonderful evening at the Lowry, Salford.  I wanted to post this while it was still relatively fresh in my poor little memory!
Lovely venue...very "intimate" and comfortable...I'd guess about 400 seats, pretty much filled, as far as I could tell.

Ralph, of course, was wonderful...very relaxed, lots of good preambles to most of the songs - some stories I hadn't heard before.  Lost his plectrum during one number...which took him into a tale of another performer once losing his false teeth whilst trying to play the harmonica on stage with a dodgy harness.

I don't take notes, because it distracts me from listening, but [most of?]the set list, from memory, and probably not in this order...

You, well meaning... (haven't heard him do that live for years)
Sylvia
England 1914
Maginot Waltz
I'm not really blue
Nanna's song
Still in dreams
Easter lilies
Peppers and tomatoes
Nettle wine (after asking the audience for requests)
Streets
Cape Horn
Anji (yes, the Davy Graham one!)
FIN
Lost Boys
Naomi

Couldn't stay afterwards, sadly, due to other committments, so no photos (sorry MAJ!).

So glad I made the right decision...the alternative was watching GB get beaten by the Aussies (yet again!).  Not that there was any doubt; either in which one I'd choose to see, or in the match result!

If I missed out any of the set list, no doubt John will be able to complete it!

Geoff

John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Manchester, UK

« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2005, 04:20:15 PM »

You missed only one, Geoff  - the opening number,  "Walk into the Morning".  This was the first time I'd heard it.  It's destined to open Ralph's shows for a long time to come.

The flat pick went flying as Ralph started the last verse of "Peppers".  He didn't even blink and finished the song with his fingertips.

Donard had put two guitars on the stage - the Yamaha and what I assumed was the new Gibson.  Ralph walked on and picked up the new one, and, sure enough, it bore the unmistakable "Gibson" signature on the head.  He put it down just twice - to go to the electric piano.  The Yamaha remained on its stand throughout.

"Anji" has become the new guitar showpiece, and, sure enough, Ralph has added another tune to the middle.  For me he could have kept on playing it all night, weaving in and out of Davy's original theme but always returning to base.  Wonderful.

And the Gibson sounded wonderful, especially on "Still in Dreams".  Were those six harps on a backing track or just the Gibson's harmonics?

Ralph  - or was it Donard? - did play a backing track over "Sylvia" -  full strings over piano, so definately not down to the harmonics!

Other highlights?  A rare invitation to sing along on "Streets" - not that I and mine need an invitation! - and "Around the Wild Cape Horn", which was fantastic at The London Show and has got better with each hearing since.

Talking of The London Show, no DVD yet, but 'coming soon'...

John B

Eternity lies waiting where imagination and reality collide.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2005, 02:24:12 PM »

It was a GREAT gig in Newark last night.. fantastic... I apologise though to Ralph for coughing... err.. quite a bit.. very embarrassing..  I was near the front in the very middle and the seats are so tightly packed there was no way I could get out Embarrassed Embarrassed

Anon Shocked

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Gibson

Loc: West Yorkshire, UK

It's got to be a Gibson

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2005, 12:37:54 PM »

Q. What do you do when you realise that another branch of the family has organised a weekend at Center Parcs and it clashes with your local Ralph gig?
A. Lots of travelling!

Friday morning, up early, pack the car and drive up to the Center Parcs near the Lake District.  Meet up with everyone else, leave them with all our luggage, kids etc. and mid-afternoon drive all the way back home and then to the City Varieties in the evening.  Great place, and well attended with appreciative audience in fine voice for Streets.  Spare Yamaha guitar, but played the 'new' Gibson throughout, other than a couple on the piano.  Set list pretty much as below, although not this order (didn't write it all down, just copied from the previous list with the changes I could remember)   

Walk into the Morning
That'll Do Babe
You, well meaning brought me here
Sylvia
Maginot Waltz
I'm not really blue
Nanna's song
Still in dreams
Aquamarine
Fear of Flying
Grande Affaire
Peppers and tomatoes
Streets of London 
Wild Cape Horn
Anji
FIN
Lost Boys

Some tricky stuff to play, so I'll forgive a couple of wrong chords!  Instrumentals faultless as usual.  Plenty of people wanting a chat and autographs afterwards, so Ralph spent the best part of an hour in the bar giving everyone as much time as they wanted.  A great evening all round.

Saturday morning, up early, and drive up to the Center Parcs near the Lake District – shades of Groundhog Day.  And we all enjoyed the rest of the weekend, so sorry to keep you waiting for the review.

Was it all worth it?  - you bet.
 Cool

You can't have too many guitars
Al

Loc: Reading

Take it easy

« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2005, 02:36:44 PM »

I've just got in from seeing Ralph at Norden Farm, Maidenhead.

Review will follow later (Thursday) as it is 1:00a.m. and I'm shattered. 

It was a fantastic evening, if not flawless.

Really nice to meet up with Al and share Ralph's meet and greet with him afterwards.  Pics taken, things signed, good company, good music. 

I wonder why I can't sleep........ Roll Eyes

I'll leave it to Maj to do the review, I will undertake to report on Saturday's events in Leicester, but last night was really good, a nice varied set with a couple of surprises despite having seen the set-lists in previous posts on here, and of course it was nice to see Maj again and get to speak to Ralph.

I am glad he has found an old Gibson that he is happy to gig with because the sound is much better, and so I agree entirely with previous posts about the marked improvement in sound over the Yamaha. I asked what it was and its a 1959 model that he found on Ebay, one of a few he found on Ebay in fact in search for one with the sound and feel he liked.

Mentioning the Yamaha, which was picked up for one song last night, I was amused that Ralph did not himself seem clear what it was he was actually doing on Saturday, except that he knew he was in Leicester. When I said that the flyer for the show said that Ralph was there representing Yamaha guitars he exclaimed "I'd better take the Yamaha then !" :-)

You never know, he might even be spotted wandering round the stalls at the show :-)

MAJ
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Buckinghamshire

Little Birdie

« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2005, 10:27:38 PM »

I wondered how the evening was going to progress when the announcer said "please welcome to the stage, Mr. Ralph McTell"..................(long pause with nothing happening)..............................

Eventually Ralph came out and before playing his first song said "That took me by surprise, I wasn't quite ready to come on out!"

Anyway this was the set list:

Walk Into Morning
Nanna's Song
Maginot Waltz
I'm In The Jailhouse Now
Still In Dreams
Around The Wild Cape Horn
You Well-Meaning
Sylvia
Pity The Boy (the only number played on the Yamaha)
Streets of London
Aquamarine (Saucers)
Heron Song
Peppers and Tomatoes
FIN
Grande Affaire
Anji

Encores:
Terminus
Lost Boys

He was on form both musically and with his anecdotes.  I especially like the one about him finding a copy of YWMBMH at a car boot sale and trying to get one of his kids to go up and buy it for him.  "Aww Dad! You go and get it!" was their response.  So he did and when he asked how much the man said "40p"  Ralph gave him £1, got 60p change which he handed back and said "it's worth £1".  The man said, "blimey! Is it?" Shocked

The theme for the evening was very much beginnings.  And even at the end of the evening he went back to the beginnings by playing Terminus.  One poignant comment after Nanna's Song was that "there's certainly more of my career behind me than there is to come".  I thought the set was a really good mix of old and new and I really do hope he keeps using the Gibson.  The sound was so different to the Yamaha - warmer, fuller, richer.  It did lack the edge that the Yamaha has for numbers like Peppers or Lost Boys though.......  (I did ask after the grand old lady and apparently she is frail but still keeping very well....!)

The synthesised string section effects on Sylvia worked.  It was almost eerie.  To hear You Well-Meaning live was magical.

As said in another thread somewhere sometime ago, when Ralph makes mistakes we seem to love him all the more.  He goofed the end of Peppers really well by starting to sing completely the wrong verse.  The ever-true professional he finished the verse and then sang the right one.  Nice one!

Anji was intricately and superbly played and the picking on Jailhouse was electrifying.

Al and I met up again after the show and waited for our "2 minutes".  In the event it turned out to be nearly 10 mins I think (am I right Al?).  So nice that one of the pics taken was of Al and I together with Ralph.  (Haven't seen that myself yet.......).  My few minutes were exceptionally special this time round.  Can't wait for the next opportunity to see him again.

And blow me, found another unexpected Ralphite at work this morning.  I'll be dragging her along as well to the next gig. Cool Wink
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 10:05:36 PM by MAJ » Logged
Al

Take it easy

« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2005, 02:06:35 PM »

Saw Ralph last night at the Acoustic Avalon guitar show put on by Sheehan’s, a large music store in Leicester at the conference cente on the Leicester racecourse.

Firstly, a word of the guitar show itself for anyone who might be interested, I was decidedly underwhelmed as it seemed to be not much more than the contents of Sheehan’s acoustic guitar dept shipped over to the racecourse for the weekend. There were some great performances by players demonstrating various makes of guitar and amp that were well worth watching though and, of course, there were plenty of guitars to play on. Indeed, it was whilst sat playing a Martin that I realized that the guy sat opposite me also playing a Martin was trying to get my attention and it was because he’d guessed from what I was playing that I was a McTellite ( those Blake tunes are a dead give away !!! ) and it turned out to be our own Ragtime ( aka Chris ), so we had a chat and got aquainted, nice to meet you Chris  Smiley

Right, onto Ralph, the setting was very cosy to say the least, one end of the canteen had been made into a small stage with about 200 seats arranged in front of it. The ceiling was very low, I knew Ralph would be intimidated by the close proximity of the audience and for sure he was.

When announced he had to squeeze down the side of the crowd to make his way to the stage and immediately his unease was apparent. As well as the close proximity of the crowd he also seemed, in his typically self-deprecating way, to be very mindful of the fact that being a guitar show that the audience was likely to contain lots of players “better than me” and he mentioned this a few times. I think in truth most of the audience were Ralph fans and very appreciative of him, but it seemed to be on his mind so much that he not only included some of his showier guitar pieces but also tried to spice a couple of others too, but with mixed results. As usual though, Ralph was hugely entertaining and a joy as always, if only he would realize that himself  Smiley

He took the stage remarking that they had only just managed to find the place, even though they had found it ok for the soundcheck ( “otherwise known as the complete waste of time” – ouch – mustn’t have gone to his liking ! ). A thick fog had descended since tea-time and I had had trouble finding it in the gloom, even more trouble finding my way back out again, a wrong turn took me into a field which I suspect might have been the track, maybe if I had carried on I would have fallen at the first hurdle ..ho ho ho !

There were some technical gremlins. During the second song in his set the mic cut out during one of the verses and when it was restored just sang the whole verse again and carried on. At the end of it he remarked that when you he was starting out you had no such things as mics etc in the clubs so you had to sing and pick hard but then said “I think I just showed myself up then because I bet you couldn’t hear a thing !”. unfortunately he was right !  Grin 

He played a great set, not very different to the one we saw in Maidenhead on Wednesday, but notably included “That’ll Do Babe”, “Nettle Wine”,  “Dry Bone Shuffle”  as well as “Anji” to try to showboat a bit more I suppose. Ralph played the Yamaha exclusively last night, no doubt due the fact that according to the show listing he was there ‘representing’ Yamaha guitars although he did not seem to know this when I spoke to him at Maidenhead !

Anyway, here’s the set-list, I was too concerned about getting out of the place through the thick fog than to hang around much after the show, Ralph remarked during his set that he had had to change in the room updstairs were all the guitars were, so maybe instead of heading back home he decided to stay in there all night playing all the guitars J

Walk In The Morning
Nanna’s Sng
That’ll Do Babe
Still In Dreams
Round The Wild Cape Horn
Maginot Waltz
Dry Bone Shuffle
Summer Girls
Nettle Wine
Streets Of London
Peppers & Tomatoes
Grande Affaire
Anji
Lost Boys
Easter Lillies
ragtime

throw out a line and dream

« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2005, 02:45:20 PM »

As Al mentioned I was a the Acoustic Avalon exhibition yesterday. Unfortunately I couldn't get a ticket for the Ralph concert (all sold out by the time I enquired), but it was good to meet you Al. I was very impressed with your playing BTW  Grin

I have to confess that I bought a guitar!! I couldn't resist a beautiful Taylor made with maple back and sides. I went to Leicester and fell in love with a beautiful blond  Kiss It was massively reduced because it had been left in a warehouse for two years and was now part of a discontinued line, but it is in perfect condition and plays and sounds like a dream. Perhaps this bit belongs in Guitarists forum ...

I wondered how Ralph would have coped with the setting - all a bit casual. The freezing fog didn't help getting in and out of the place, but I'm glad he survived. As Al and I discussed in our brief chat, Ralph really shouldn't get so intimidated about his guitar playing. He's right up there with the best of them if only he can relax and believe in himself.

Chris (Ragtime)
MAJ
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Little Birdie

« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2005, 08:04:31 PM »

I sent my match report of Maidenhead to Andy Langran for the Ralph Albert & Sydney website together with a photo.  

It can be viewed here: http://www.ralph-mctell.co.uk/fansreviews2.html
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 09:48:44 AM by John Beresford » Logged
Leighton

Loc: Wigan UK

Proud Father and Daughter

« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2005, 09:53:30 AM »

Ralph at Pacific Road - 24th November 2005.

It was a cold and very windy night as we got out of the car and headed for the entrance to The Pacific Road Arts Centre in Birkenhead, but the chill was soon warmed as we entered the lobby. First thing was to see where our seats were - third row, bang in the centre. Perfect. Same eye height as Ralph.

One of the guys from The Centre is on the stage. He is asking that No Photographs be taken, at the request of Ralph.

I have always be useless at remembering the song list that Ralph Plays so please excuse the lack of info as there were more songs played than I have listed.

Donard brings out the guitars, The Yamaha (I must remember to ask Ralph about the missing truss rod cover), and the "new" Gibson. The Yamaha keyboard is already there.

Ralph appears from the rear of the stage "guitarless", but with an harmonica and holder round his neck.
He acknowledges the audience's applause. He has a gift that he is thanking me individually, although I suppose that is my wishful thinking, and probably everyone else is thinking the same.
He lovingly picks up The Gibson, straightens up the harmonica, and starts the concert with a new song. I do not catch the title but going from previous postings it is "Walk in the morning", It takes me back to the 60's with mentions of Woody Guthrie and other heroes in the lyrics. Maybe a touch of early Dylan.

Ralph has been looking for "A new song to open with", I can see this being a long runner, as it is absolutely fantastic.
He starts with a new song, and follows on with an old one, Nanna's Song. I hate using the term old one, as it does not do the song justice. Shall we say a timeless classic.

There is an obvious love of the new Gibson, and Ralph explains that this was one of 4 (or it could've been 5, my memory plays tricks on me sometimes), that he won on eBay. Although he says he is putting some of his collection on eBay sometime.

I agree with previous posters with regards to the sound of the Gibson. A much softer tone. I love it.

There is a bit of a distraction, as someone has turned a light on in the control room at the back of the audience. He mentions it to Donard, who sorts it out straight away. Ralph asks the audience to give Donard a round of applause. We do, but half way through Ralph says not to give too much, as it will go to his head. Smiles all round.

Around the wild Cape Horn was introduced with the story of the documentary that Ralph saw about The Peking and a young lad who originally sailed around The Horn, and who added the verbal documentary to the film.

You Well Meaning was the first song played on the keyboard. It brought back memories.

The Yamaha is tuned to D, and he uses it for a couple of songs including Sand in your shoes.

He asks the audience for any requests, and before the sentence is finished the guy behind me is shouting First and last man. I wish my mind worked quicker sometimes. Apart from a slight repetition one of the first and third lines in one of the verses (He smiles during this), it was perfect. Wonderful.

Anji is played flawlessly.

The Audience joins in with Streets, and I felt a strange sensation as the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end. Although all the audience were singing along, they sang in a hushed tone. No blasting out the chorus. A really strange sensation. For a while my thoughts go back to article I read, about Streets of London being sang following the suicide bombings in London. It is as though I am hearing the song for the first time, and in a new light. There is a lump in my throat, and I feel a chill. 

Naomi is played as an Encore.
~~~~~~~~~
We get in place ready to meet Ralph, I am full of questions.

I have a picture that was taken at The Lowry a couple of years ago, and am hoping he will sign it.

He strolls out with Donard, and has a glass of red wine.

Eventually it's our turn, "Hello Leighton, how are you keeping ?" - I am really taken aback that he remembers me. All, and I mean all my questions have just left through the Fire Exit and I am at a loss for words. He smiles. I think he realises. He talks about the book, and I suddenly get the use of my brain and mouth back. I enquire about the DVD, and he explains about copyright issues holding the release. We chat about more stuff and I get a CD signed, my Red Sky With a different number. I ask if he could sign the A4 sized photo, and he tries to remember where it was taken. I am thinking this could be a time for a bit of a quiz, and I could give Ralph some clues. I am looking forward to this, but I'm afraid my joy was short lived as my good lady wife pipes out from beside me "It Was The Lowry", God Bless Her. He mentions the tropical shirt I was wearing in the photograph makes me look like the star (I wish). He smiles. I am nervous to ask about getting another picture taken together, following the initial request prior to the start of the concert. But there was no need to worry. Of course he says.

He shakes my hand and wishes me all the best. I tell him to look after himself, but there is no need, he is looking better than ever. He says cheers.

As we exit The Centre and head for the car I think to myself - What a great guy, and

Why didn't I ask him about the missing truss rod cover on the Yamaha.

Ah Well, maybe next time.

My Poor Attempt at the song list is -

Walk Into Morning
Nanna's Song
Still In Dreams
You Well-Meaning
In The Dreamtime
Sylvia
Streets of London
FIN
Lost Boys
Anji
First and Last Man
Sand in your shoes
Pity The Boy
Naomi

This dream I have that keeps me hanging on
When our letters get crossed in the mails
Is to wake up at home in the house on the shore
With you by my side in Wales
 by - Ralph McTell
Leighton

« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2005, 07:04:40 PM »

Just for you MAJ  Grin

by - Ralph McTell
Naomi

Loc: North Wales

« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2005, 11:33:50 AM »

We  (my husband and I) must have been sitting directly in front of Leighton at Birkenhead as we were in the middle two seats on the second row!
Excellent as usual,  seemed to me a bit different too.  I agree with the previous comment that he seems a  little more confident/relaxed after the Up Close tour.

I think there were a couple of songs missing from the previous list - 'A Feather Fell', and 'Pity the Boy'.
The full play  list was ( the order for the second half is approximate!)

Walk into the morning  (new)
Nana's Song
A Feather Fell
Wild Cape Horn
Still in Dreams
All these on the 'new' Gibson

You well meaning brought me here
Sylvia
( k/b)

Ralph invited an audience request - so unexpectedly that my mind went completely blank and somebody shouted:

First and Last Man  - then back to his own list
FIN
Sand in Your Shoes (these 3 on the Yamaha)

and back to the Gibson

Pity the Boy
I'm not really blue
Streets
Dreamtime
Anji
Lost Boys

Encore: Naomi - which he messed up - missed half the first verse and sang bits of the second twice - Did we mind? Of course not, Lovely anyway

Ralph also gave us a brief 'masterclass' in fingerpicking - he explained that when he was learning he gave each finger a name - so he could tell it what to do, and tell ift off if it wasn't doing what he wanted it to! He said that his fingers often bled when he was learning.

Donnard got a round of applause at Ralph's request.

All went much too fast -as usual.

This was the eighth time we've seen him live - can't wait for the ninth!

Naomi

(My name - not the song!)

ciemme
n3wb

Loc: naples

I'm a llama!

« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2005, 10:48:35 PM »

Kiss  thank you Ralph for your kindness, for your availability, for your dedications on my books and at the end thanks to play my favourite song "Barges" introduced by a pretty dedication, during your gig in Darlington.
thank you Ralph to be so big.
MAJ
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Little Birdie

« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2006, 12:45:17 AM »

This is a report of the concert last Friday night in Sneek that our friend Coen included in an IM to me.  I thought you would like me to share it with you.  As you will read at the end, it was difficult for him.  He has been keeping in touch with me via IM telling me how he is and I am so pleased that he and his wife were able to go. I wanted Ralph to know that he was going to try to be there despite fighting his illness.  I knew that Ralph would have wanted to know, so I got a message to him.

So thank you Coen for reporting back to us.  God bless.

First of all thank you. Ralph was aware that I would be in Sneek, so I suppose that was your doing.

It was a wonderful concert, and short report follows below.

A small report on the concert in Sneek.

Sneek is an old city in the Netherlands, and one of places where Ralph performed. That would be sufficient reason to make it a special concert, and it was. The number of visitors was, I think, roughly 125. It was not advertised at Ralph’s own site (it is now), so there were mostly locals. Sneek is in Friesland, and we from Utrecht were welcomed as foreigners. Friesland has its own language. Luckily they also speak Dutch, and as it turned out English…

One man and a sound engineer is always impressive to me. I’d seen Ralph live only at the RFH. Obviously a great concert, but the intimacy here was great indeed…

   Nanna’s song
   Arthur Blake
   Girl from the north country
   A feather fell
   Tequila sunset
   Around wild Cape Horn. I understood the story better this time, but maybe this just because I’m not a native speaker. It was an impressive performance.
   Nettle Wine
   From Clare to here
   That'll do babe

Followed by a half hour break.

   This song I didn’t recognize. Ralph mentioned that he intended it as starting song. It was about Guthrie and being walked into the morning rain I believe. Perhaps someone can help me there.
   First Song. A special request for me. He made it sound very special and I was very much touched.
   Hands of Joseph.
   After Rain
   Peppers and tomatoes. Very intense, and very painful. Srebrenica is a very sore spot in the Netherlands, and the song hit home.  As it would anywhere I suppose.
   Anji. An instrumental number is so old that is fresh again. Created by various people, and somehow connected with Paul Simon? Very nice number anyway.
   Streets of London. Nice number, deserves a wider airing!
   Let me down easy
   An old song about someone jailed for casting two votes, and more legal action. Nice song, but I don’t know more about it.
   Dry bone rag (I think)

After that he was forced to stop…..

I don’t think I missed much. For me and my wife it was very memorable concert.  I didn’t think I would make it because a brain tumour is very busy killing me.  But I made it, and that obviously was great gift.

Thanks Ralph,

Coen Fischer
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2006, 03:08:21 PM »

Very impressed with the whole set last night at Croydon's Ashcroft Theatre which had a relaxed atmosphere and a responsive crowd, especially as it is Ralph's original hometown venue! He said that when he used to run around Croydon during the day as a boy, he once climbed up to the top of the huge office block (about 15 storeys) when it was being built. It is opposite the theatre and when I looked up at it after the show I think we are lucky that he survived!!  Shocked I didnt keep note of the songs and tunes but of course Bently and Craig featured in the set as did Hands of Joseph and Red and Gold which pleased me greatly!  Afterwards a cheery Ralph came out amazed at the length of the queue for signing! I got Times Poems signed and I think the posters are a good idea also, they are ready signed but Ralph personalised 2 for me  Wink  Managed to find Donard and congratulated him on the sound.  Grin A great night with just the Gibson, harmonica and the man himself!

Apparently the website will be updated soon after this tour with regard to the Upclose Tour dates etc.

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
SarahG

« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2006, 10:38:25 AM »

Saw Ralph in Basingstoke last night and as ever he was fantastic.  I thought with the length of the queue for signing he may miss the Newport gig tonight.  As ever Ralph made time for everyone who queued and as always it was lovely to chat to him.

I've still got the lovely (though hard to describe) feeling that I always have after a Ralph gig.  What better way to head into a bank holiday weekend.  Can't wait for the next tour.

Happy Easter everyone.  Grin
MAJ
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Little Birdie

« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2006, 11:17:09 AM »

Smashing concert at Basingstoke last night.  Met up with Al again which was nice.  What a shame he couldn't stay and join that queue at the end.  Funnily enough even before there was a queue he predicted that it would be a long wait.  However, it was certainly worth it.

I will write a review and post it on Andy Langran's site.

Here is the set though:

Nanna's Song
A Feather Fell
Factory Girl
Now This Has Started
Conundrum Of Time
First Song
Red And Gold
Lost Boys
In The Jailhouse Now
Still In Dreams
Anji
The Girl From The Hiring Fair
Streets Of London
Walk Into The Morning

Encore: Bentley And Craig

Nice suit too..... Wink
Leighton

« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2006, 01:39:17 PM »

Thanks for the song list MAJ, and will keep an eye out on Andy's site for the write up.

Has Walk Into The Morning been relegated from the opening number ?

by - Ralph McTell
Henrik
I live in the wrong place - BEEEP !
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark

Oh, hands of Ralph - how you can play !

« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2006, 02:06:30 PM »

Thanks for the song list MAJ, and will keep an eye out on Andy's site for the write up.

Has Walk Into The Morning been relegated from the opening number ?

Well, maybe our Ralph was just out of sync. last night ?   Grin

Wish I had been there, and I shall really lookiing forward to your 20 page
report with pics and all, dear Maj  Wink Tak for this little appetiser.

I am so happy that he has recently ( I think ?) started playing Red & Gold again -
I bet that must have been totally amazing. I really wish that I can some
day get to hear this most amazing song at a Ralph concert ( Well, along
with all the rest of them of course  - D'oh ! Roll Eyes ).

H.

Don't know when we'll meet again ...
All I know is .... that we will.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: