TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:29:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pebble Mill at one  (Read 23493 times)
Portmeirion

Loc: Co. Wicklow , Ireland

Now we rise and we are everywhere

« on: September 20, 2004, 07:48:29 PM »

Does anyone remember an appearance by Fairport  on the famous " Pebble Mill at One " programme. It was just fantastic stuff for the mid day.It must have been around 1988 or so ,  as all the material was from  the "Red and Gold" album.

They played " Summer before the war " and  "London river". Thats all I can remember of it, but it was good and obviously to promote the album.

Perhaps they have been on the programme many times,but this is the only time I ever saw them.

Did any one else see this one ?

Cheers

Pat

Isn't it amazing how , as the years go by Peggy resembles Victor Meldrew , more and more.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 08:20:55 PM »

Yes, I remember that - I tried to get an audience ticket but they were only available to Brummies - and I was in Kingson, Surrey at the time. Roll Eyes

Ces
His audience wanted more
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Ammanford, South Wales

Fear & loathing in Lllllanvegas

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 08:24:34 PM »

Hi Pat. Can't remember that line-up of Fairport on Pebble Mill but in the early 80s, when I was in school, I do remember Swarbrick & Nicol being on at least once (apparently the host - Bob someone was a fan). And I vividly remember the Full House line-up & Martin Carthy being on a spin-off (6.05 special?) in 1982-83.

Carey Cheesy

It's hard being the only grey-beard in the village
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 09:26:21 PM »

Hi Pat. Can't remember that line-up of Fairport on Pebble Mill but in the early 80s, when I was in school, I do remember Swarbrick & Nicol being on at least once (apparently the host - Bob someone was a fan). And I vividly remember the Full House line-up & Martin Carthy being on a spin-off (6.05 special?) in 1982-83.

Carey Cheesy

I think most of the Pebble Mill audience were in their early 80s. Didn't they used to get free tea and biccies to make up the audience?

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Portmeirion

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 09:50:46 PM »

Carey Cheesy

Was it Bob Laraby , Carey ? That name seems to ring a bell with me.

Pat

Isn't it amazing how , as the years go by Peggy resembles Victor Meldrew , more and more.
Ces
His audience wanted more
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Ammanford, South Wales

Fear & loathing in Lllllanvegas

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 10:04:12 PM »

Actually, was it Bob Langley? Huh

It's hard being the only grey-beard in the village
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 10:51:05 PM »

Well your memory ain't that vivid...it was the Nine line-up!  Smiley Well actually Nine plus Simon Nicol & Martin Carthy and the presenter was that Sally from Tiswas (men of "a certain age" will know her....the Holly Willoughby of her day). It was a few days before Cropredy 1982. Got it on video & it's smashing...

Fairport (the Swarb/Simon/Peggy/DM or Bruce line-up) and Swarb & Nicol appeared several times in the early 80s. I've got a few on video & there was probably more. Not sure if it'd have won many new fans though....half the audience was probably knitting!

Alex@Atrax

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 10:57:42 PM »

Any chance you can compile those videos Alex, I'm sure the good folks of the board would buy it up PDQ, sounds like good stuff.   Wink

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 11:08:33 PM »

Any chance you can compile those videos Alex, I'm sure the good folks of the board would buy it up PDQ, sounds like good stuff.   Wink

Suppose I could do... Since I seem to have inadvertently offered, anyone interested can get in touch & I'll see what I can do.

Except bcfc dave that is....who's Holly Willoughby?!?  Wink The best reason to get up on a Saturday morning....and she managed to hit the headlines a few weeks back after...ahem...falling out of her top on Saturday morning kids' telly. Basically the modern equivalent of Sally James (?) from Tiswas...

Alex@Atrax

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 11:23:25 PM »

To bring this smartly back on topic.....yes, it was! Grin

Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2004, 11:48:57 PM »

Righto.

Sally James and whatesername appreciation club moved to the Arms..

Sandra

BPTNT
5-18

Loc: london W11

Tarzan versus the BPI

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2004, 01:00:37 AM »

Remember a couple of the Swarb & Nicol appearances from the early '80s.  Would love to see those again  Roll Eyes.

Also seem to remember a story of Fairports on Pebble Mill At One sometime in the mid-80s whereby Swarb was issued with BBC regulation trousers when the producer didn't approve of his jeans Grin

The 6.55 Special show from '82 is totally priceless. Suddenly seems far too long ago. A full half an hour show including a version of Meet On The Ledge with Martin Carthy singing the second verse. They also appeared on the show (from what I remember, a kind of Pebble Mill At One for the under 60s) the following year playing Royal Seleccion No.13 and Adieu Adieu. Simon dressed  up in tennis gear for some strange reason....
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2004, 08:20:34 AM »

Remember a couple of the Swarb & Nicol appearances from the early '80s.  Would love to see those again  Roll Eyes.

Also seem to remember a story of Fairports on Pebble Mill At One sometime in the mid-80s whereby Swarb was issued with BBC regulation trousers when the producer didn't approve of his jeans Grin

The 6.55 Special show from '82 is totally priceless. Suddenly seems far too long ago. A full half an hour show including a version of Meet On The Ledge with Martin Carthy singing the second verse. They also appeared on the show (from what I remember, a kind of Pebble Mill At One for the under 60s) the following year playing Royal Seleccion No.13 and Adieu Adieu. Simon dressed  up in tennis gear for some strange reason....

I remember the Pebble Mill appearance, and I think they also appeared on an ITV breakfast spot?  Slightly off topic, but does anyone remember Simon appearing in a Eurovision "heat", playing acoustic guitar in the background?  'Fraid the song & artist never registered, but I'm sure it was Sir Norm...

Flobbadob!
Portmeirion

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2004, 08:06:47 PM »

Suppose I could do... Since I seem to have inadvertently offered, anyone interested can get in touch & I'll see what I can do.

Except bcfc dave that is....who's Holly Willoughby?!? Wink The best reason to get up on a Saturday morning....and she managed to hit the headlines a few weeks back after...ahem...falling out of her top on Saturday morning kids' telly. Basically the modern equivalent of Sally James (?) from Tiswas...

Alex@Atrax

Hi Alex, I think a lot of us would be interested in these little video snippets that crop up or people might have collected over the years.

Maybe they could help raise money for Swarb,or is it too big an undertaking ?

Pat

Portmeirion

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2004, 08:10:46 PM »

Bob Langley , thats the lad. I at least have an excuse for watching telly all those years ago.

I work in a hospital and telly's are on everywhere.

Cheers

Pat Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: