TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 11:16:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2024  (Read 3643 times)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2023, 06:27:49 PM »

David, the point I am making is that the festival is moving away from what I like , obviously with a few exceptions . I have a family wedding next year but I doubt whether I could justify paying nearly £200 each for one or two bands I like.

The interest on those ISAs has to be spent somehow, man...  Grin

Yes on a wedding in France!!!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2023, 07:50:42 AM »

I treasure a photo , from many years ago , of a hippy looking character , smoking a huge joint chatting away to 2 smiling coppers , on the Cropredy field , completely ignoring the joint.
In 2012 , my wife, retired oncolgy nurse and not known for extreme views , scanned the seried rows of chairs and expressed the view that it had become a primary school teachers day out!
Yes of course I’m being contentious  but I would like a serious conversation re festivals.
Going to a festival is an expensive process and attracting a particular clientele.
Some festivals , New Forest for example, often by nature of the line up, are aimed at an older demographic and there is a recycling of acts.
This would also apply to river cruises , with Fairports, Rt, Show of Hands and the Costa Festivals.
I went to Magpies Fest this year , lovely little fest , a younger audience but it was still that , white , relatively well off ,middle class .
At Cropredy , Cambridge , Warwick, the sea of tents has turned into a forest of motor homes ( and yes I own a motor home, which I’m selling if anyone’s interested) .
I probably should have started a seperate thread for this, I have been enjoying a nasty cold , so finding myself awake and struggling to breathe I just started rambling,
For those of you, some friends of mine, who go to Cropredy to renew friendships, that’s wonderful. Because for years , I went with the same people , I was very much in a bubble, when we lost some of those people, the bubble burst.
So enjoy Cropredy everyone, I will do Warwick, Magpies, Beardy, Bromyard , possibly Folk in a Field, this year and a musicians weekend in the Lakes and I am still searching for that unknown gem of a fest where I discover someone new.
Loved the 4 piece Honey and the Bear at Magpies this year, They would have been great for Cropredy.
I am fascinated by the rise of the alternative fest at the Brase. I ve played it, 3 times I think but it’s now effectively  a fest in its own right . I did consider it this year, interesting line up and friends were playing it but where do you park for a day in Cropredy , mid fest, to go to the Brase.?
I’m sure you’ve heard this all before. Please spell any abuse accurately…..
Yorkshire Chris
Did you have a Sloppy Guiseppe?

Loc: Yorkshire (who'd have guessed...!)

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2023, 12:28:18 PM »

I don't think anything you've said should attract any abuse! I personally think your posts usually strike just the right chord and I enjoy reading them.

I think the thing is, we've all felt the magic of Cropredy at some point in our life which is why we're still here discussing it and, in some cases, are struggling with the decision of whether to go or not. My wife and I first attended in 2006 and have been every year since albeit for the Saturday only from 2018 when my little lad was born. We still feel the magic (and a sense of nostalgia too) but when the magic fades or stops then we will stop going too.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2023, 02:46:22 PM »

Some love it some hate it…. We all have our own reasons…

I love Cropredy and only Covid cancellations have kept me away since 1990

All the vast elements of that annual weekend there are so diverse , sometimes not as positive… thunderstorms or intense heat… sometimes just perfect…

Some years I am enthralled by many of the acts, some years I ‘switch off’ when not so keen, but I don’t judge and I aim not to moan, I am there each year for the craic, the atmosphere, the love.

Enjoy the weekend if you are there xxx

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2023, 11:50:30 PM »

I don't think anything you've said should attract any abuse! I personally think your posts usually strike just the right chord and I enjoy reading them.

I think the thing is, we've all felt the magic of Cropredy at some point in our life which is why we're still here discussing it and, in some cases, are struggling with the decision of whether to go or not. My wife and I first attended in 2006 and have been every year since albeit for the Saturday only from 2018 when my little lad was born. We still feel the magic (and a sense of nostalgia too) but when the magic fades or stops then we will stop going too.

Thanks,  Chris. I tend not to post on here often, not attending Cropredy it felt a bit hypocritical and it should be left to afficianados…..
I never know whether scattering my mates ashes in 2012 was a turning point.
2013; 2014 , I used the camping and caravan club site opposite the stores , one year not attending main fest at all, met some great people who became friends .
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2023, 07:18:55 PM »

Interestingly, Eddi Reader et al have announced they're reforming Fairground Attraction for a tour of Japan in June 2024.

I wonder if this bodes well for guests at Croppers?

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2024, 10:11:30 AM »

HOT FROM THE WEBSITE...
I
"Hello Fairporters,

We hope you all had a great festive season and – like us – are looking forward to the forthcoming Wintour 2024. The dates are on our website.

In our previous newsletter, we listed most of the artists booked for Fairport’s Cropredy Convention 2024. Now we are pleased to announce the final three acts that complete this summer’s great line-up.

First up is the legendary Tony Christie.

Best-known for smash hits including ‘Avenues and Alleyways’ and ‘(Is This the Way To) Amarillo’ Tony is one of the UK’s most memorable singers. His 50+ years career has been characterised by great songs and incredible showmanship.

Peggy says: “When Ric, Chris and I saw Tony perform at the Costa Festival we were immensely impressed. His classy show earned him a well-deserved standing ovation.”

At Cropredy Tony will perform a mix of classic tracks as well as songs from his new album ‘We Still Shine’

Americana/folk duo Hannah Sanders and Ben Savage supported Fairport on the 2023 Winter Tour.

Those of you who came to one of the gigs last year will be no strangers to their fine musicianship, exquisite songs and intimate duets. As well as their own set, they will also join Fairport on stage on Saturday evening.

Our third addition is the hardest working trio in Kent.

If you are a fan of electrifying guitar-based rock and blues, The Zac Schulze Gang is the band for you. Fast, fun and a real force to be reckoned with.

Lastly, don’t forget our Special Surprise Guest who will take the stage on Saturday evening immediately before Fairport Convention’s marathon closing set. Who can it be?

So the complete line-up for Cropredy 2024 looks like this..."
Hmmm...

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2024, 12:17:39 PM »

Is WHO can it be, a clue?
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2024, 12:27:36 PM »

Is WHO can it be, a clue?

Ha.  I like your style.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: