TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:30:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yacht Rock  (Read 5103 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« on: September 27, 2023, 10:51:27 PM »

authentic yacht rock

Because there's nothing I hate more than that phony yacht rock!   Grin

Jules

Edit: This topic formed in the Upcoming Gigs thread, but was too good not to have a thread of its own...

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2023, 07:28:08 AM »

authentic yacht rock

Jules

Oh, my, I did laugh... Grin Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2023, 08:46:42 AM »

authentic yacht rock

Jules

I've never even heard of yacht rock. Seems to cover quite a variety of bands - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_yacht_rock_artists

I correctly guessed that CSN would be on the list as Crosby was into yachting.  Wink

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 08:53:00 AM »

authentic yacht rock

Jules

I've never even heard of yacht rock. Seems to cover quite a variety of bands - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_yacht_rock_artists

I correctly guessed that CSN would be on the list as Crosby was into yachting.  Wink

That is a truly preposterous list - because CSN, Kool and the Gang, Fleetwood Mac and Spandau Ballet just have so much in common, don't they? Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023, 10:44:58 AM »

Everything you ever wanted to know about Yacht Rock was summed up in a couple of BBC4 programmes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000627v

(ok, the episodes are not currently available, but the synopsis and tracklists tell you a lot...)

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2023, 11:54:24 AM »

Tomorrow night, Pablo Cruise at "The Haute Spot" in Cedar Park, Texas!

I bought all the Pablo Cruise records when I was 14. Their breakthrough single came in 1977, with the eminently danceable "Whatcha Gonna Do (When She Says Goodbye)?" I particularly love the 1978 LP "Worlds Away," which includes the title song, a great cover of Peter Allen's "Rio," and their biggest hit, "Love Will Find A Way." (They are cut from the same cloth as the Michael McDonald-era Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan and the Little River Band.)

The current band includes original guitarist/vocalist Dave Jenkins and original keyboardist Cory Lerios. The original drummer, Steve Price, recently stepped away after 50 years' service. Original bassist/vocalist (and former member of "It's a Beautiful Day") Bud Cockrell passed away years ago, sadly. They added lead vocalist Robbie Wyckoff just a few years ago; he sang David Gilmour's parts on Roger's "The Wall" tour.

Pablo Cruise were inactive through most of the '80s and '90s, but started a low-key comeback in the early 2010s, playing California and Florida and rarely in between. Mrs. J From A and I caught them for the first time at the Sonoma Music Festival in 2013, and I've since seen them a few more times. Only recently, they started venturing into more states. They attract a small but enthusiastic crowd of late-era baby boomers like me.

This is authentic yacht rock at its finest, and I'm always thrilled when they come my way.

Love Pablo Cruise. They put out a very good new single a couple of years ago so I was hopeful they'd follow up with an album. Nothing as yet. I live in hope though.

I was delighted when their most recent studio album, 1983's Out Of Our Hands, finally got a CD release, last year. Great to eventually complete the catalogue!
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2023, 01:18:11 PM »

Everything you ever wanted to know about Yacht Rock was summed up in a couple of BBC4 programmes:

(ok, the episodes are not currently available, but the synopsis and tracklists tell you a lot...)

Essentially, "overproduced schmaltz you listen to whilst wearing espadrilles" 😂

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2023, 01:46:43 PM »

Essentially, "overproduced schmaltz you listen to whilst wearing espadrilles" 😂

Well, what the hell are CSN doing in there then? Wink  The fact that the Croz owned a yacht and there's a picture of it on the cover of one of their albums seems a tad weak as the benchmark for a musical definition...

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2023, 03:45:58 PM »

Sorry to stray so far of the "upcoming gigs" topic, but here is episode one of the world's greatest primer on yacht rock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMTI8vg7A5U

Warning: Some of the humor is NSFW. If I'm not mistaken, these comedians popularized (if not coined) the term "yacht rock" to define late '70s to early '80s soft rock. Jazz pretensions, excessive production, and imagery involving sun and sand (think Jimmy Buffett) put you in this category.

And there is, in fact, phony yacht rock out there. I saw an excellent cover band called "Yacht Rock Revue" opening for Kenny Loggins (a yacht rock pioneer) last month. Wall-to-wall covers of Toto, Steely Dan, the Doobie Brothers, etc. I think "Southern Cross" (not a Crosby but a Stills tune) is quintessential yacht rock.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2023, 07:00:25 PM »

And there is, in fact, phony yacht rock out there. I saw an excellent cover band called "Yacht Rock Revue" opening for Kenny Loggins (a yacht rock pioneer) last month. Wall-to-wall covers of Toto, Steely Dan, the Doobie Brothers, etc. I think "Southern Cross" (not a Crosby but a Stills tune) is quintessential yacht rock.

So yacht rock is phony if performed by a covers band, but authentic if performed by a band from the 1970s with just two original members left? Seems like a pretty arbitrary call to me. I genuinely don't think that fans of this sort of music are looking for authenticity.

Jules

John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2023, 10:31:48 PM »

So yacht rock is phony if performed by a covers band, but authentic if performed by a band from the 1970s with just two original members left?

Sounds right!

But seriously, "phony" may not be the exact opposite of "authentic." Perhaps "inauthentic?" Or a "facsimile?"
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2023, 10:44:41 PM »

But seriously, "phony" may not be the exact opposite of "authentic." Perhaps "inauthentic?" Or a "facsimile?"

I might buy a facsimile yacht.

Jules

MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2023, 12:08:25 PM »

Yacht Rock seems like an accident waiting to happen.  Personally though, my music is divided into stuff I like and stuff I dont. Though as time progresses either can move into the other category and back, mainly be over exposure.

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2023, 03:30:40 PM »

I always thought yacht rock was just a snide name given by a lazy journalist. Bit like dad rock. I have never felt the views of anyone who blithely dismisses acts like Steely Dan in this way were worth giving any credence to.

John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2023, 04:52:17 PM »

Here they are, Cory Lerios and Dave Jenkins, founders of yacht-rock pioneers Pablo Cruise, last night in Cedar Park, Texas! Great show, tons of fun. The ticket taker, a 20-something young lady, told us "I wasn't familiar with Pablo Cruise, so I looked *him* up before the show."

* Pablo Cruise 9-28-2023.jpg (1178.39 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 237 times.)
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2023, 04:59:36 PM »

Since we have our own topic now, I can list some Yacht Rock standards:

Kenny Loggins: This is It
Doobie Brothers: What a Fool Believes
Michael McDonald: Sweet Freedom
Christopher Cross: Sailing
Beach Boys: Kokomo
Jimmy Buffett: Margaritaville
Little River Band: Reminiscing
Pablo Cruise: Island Girl
Steely Dan: Peg
Toto: Rosanna
CSN: Southern Cross
Steve Miller Band: Jungle Love
I might even say the Eagles' New Kid in Town qualifies.

One thing several of these songs have in common is Michael McDonald. He's the unofficial king of the genre. BTW, I have tons of this music in my collection. I love this era.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2023, 05:08:52 PM »

Since we have our own topic now, I can list some Yacht Rock standards:

Kenny Loggins: This is It
Doobie Brothers: What a Fool Believes
Michael McDonald: Sweet Freedom
Christopher Cross: Sailing
Beach Boys: Kokomo
Jimmy Buffett: Margaritaville
Little River Band: Reminiscing
Pablo Cruise: Island Girl
Steely Dan: Peg
Toto: Rosanna
CSN: Southern Cross
Steve Miller Band: Jungle Love
I might even say the Eagles' New Kid in Town qualifies.

One thing several of these songs have in common is Michael McDonald. He's the unofficial king of the genre. BTW, I have tons of this music in my collection. I love this era.

I hereby dedicate the rest of my life to removing CSN from the horrific indignity of a list such as this...  Wink

Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2023, 06:58:03 PM »

..... & don't forget Sails of Silver by our very own Steeleye Span, noting in particular the photo on the back of the LP  Smiley
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2023, 07:55:17 PM »

I hereby dedicate the rest of my life to removing CSN from the horrific indignity of a list such as this...  Wink

The first album and the follow-up with Neil are definitely NOT yacht rock.
The '77 record leans a bit in that direction though.  And as for the Daylight Again LP - choc full of yachtitude.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2023, 08:09:37 PM »

The first album and the follow-up with Neil are definitely NOT yacht rock.
The '77 record leans a bit in that direction though.  And as for the Daylight Again LP - choc full of yachtitude.

Jules

Infidel!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: