TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 11:53:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Magpies Festival  (Read 2826 times)
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« on: January 22, 2023, 10:14:54 PM »

I realise that this fest clashes with Cropredy ….11th,12th, Aug
Sutton Park nr York
A smaller fest with….
Rachel Sermani, Chris Difford, Edward 11nd, New York Brass Band, Holy Moly and the Crackers,Liz  Stringer, Blair Dunlop, Honey and the Bear, Bonfire Radicals, The Magpies, (more tba)
Lovely lineup I think.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 07:53:15 AM »

Sutton Park nr York
A smaller fest with….
Rachel Sermani, Chris Difford, Edward 11nd, New York Brass Band, Holy Moly and the Crackers,Liz  Stringer, Blair Dunlop, Honey and the Bear, Bonfire Radicals, The Magpies, (more tba)
Lovely lineup I think.

https://www.themagpiesfestival.co.uk/

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 10:59:57 AM »

Sutton Park nr York
A smaller fest with….
Lovely lineup I think.

https://www.themagpiesfestival.co.uk/

Thanks David
garrypbrooks

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 03:10:40 PM »

Good line-up but I'm on hols. Will keep an out for this fest next year
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2023, 10:25:35 PM »

I realise there is little point reviewing a fest which clashes with Cropredy but….
First time at this 3 yr old fest run by the Magpies. It is invidious to compare it to Cropredies of the early 80’s but here is a small fest run by a band at which they play.
The setting is just beautiful, set in the grounds of Sutton House, 8 miles north of York. Huge camping area, beautiful small arena ……main outside stage and 2nd tented stage , 100 yds from main stage next to  bar.When one stage finished 15 min gap between acts.
So a beautifully run little fest, with that lovely friendly relaxed vibe , good food stalls, good beers, ( an excellent 3.4 session ale) great bar staff.
So , high lights,  Chris Difford, ( having a Fri night audience in the palm of his hands as a raconteur fleshing out his songs . Simply a masterclass )
Holy Moly and the Crackers ….perfect Fri night headliners….
Saturday…
Honey and the Bear, as a 4 piece, great songs and delivery , drew us in…….and a cracking drummer /
bodhran player…
Megan Henwood……I nipped over to catch her on the bar stage…..just lovely
Blair Dunlop….he was unlucky to hit the big but short downpour of the afternoon but I was surprised , having seen him before how much I enjoyed his songwriting and performance as a trio.
Tom Moore and Archie Moss in the bar….just class folk tunes…..which some found a bit samey!
Rachel Sermani, who we didn’t know at all , delivering beautiful, gentle songs on the main stage in a style that drew people, particularly Sheena, in.
Festival hosts Magpies, delivered a lovely upbeat , main stage set
Nipped to bar to catch the fabby Bonfire Radiczls and then…
Edward 2nd delivered a classic headlining Sat night set…a last gig before taking next yr off.
…..and a celidh in the bar venue to end the fest.
We met some lovely people.
This fest will grow and morph…..glad to catch it in its early days…..
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 10:42:46 PM by hendo (Dave) » Logged
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2023, 10:59:15 PM »

That sounds really lovely. It was nice  to read about it even with the festival clash. So glad you had a good time.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2023, 11:22:57 PM »

That sounds really lovely. It was nice  to read about it even with the festival clash. So glad you had a good time.

Thankyou.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2023, 11:57:03 AM »

Looks like a nice festival. Will keep an eye out for it next year
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2023, 02:34:23 PM »

I realise there is little point reviewing a fest which clashes with Cropredy but….
First time at this 3 yr old fest run by the Magpies. It is invidious to compare it to Cropredies of the early 80’s but here is a small fest run by a band at which they play.
The setting is just beautiful, set in the grounds of Sutton House, 8 miles north of York. Huge camping area, beautiful small arena ……main outside stage and 2nd tented stage , 100 yds from main stage next to  bar.When one stage finished 15 min gap between acts.
So a beautifully run little fest, with that lovely friendly relaxed vibe , good food stalls, good beers, ( an excellent 3.4 session ale) great bar staff.
So , high lights,  Chris Difford, ( having a Fri night audience in the palm of his hands as a raconteur fleshing out his songs . Simply a masterclass )
Holy Moly and the Crackers ….perfect Fri night headliners….
Saturday…
Honey and the Bear, as a 4 piece, great songs and delivery , drew us in…….and a cracking drummer /
bodhran player…
Megan Henwood……I nipped over to catch her on the bar stage…..just lovely
Blair Dunlop….he was unlucky to hit the big but short downpour of the afternoon but I was surprised , having seen him before how much I enjoyed his songwriting and performance as a trio.
Tom Moore and Archie Moss in the bar….just class folk tunes…..which some found a bit samey!
Rachel Sermani, who we didn’t know at all , delivering beautiful, gentle songs on the main stage in a style that drew people, particularly Sheena, in.
Festival hosts Magpies, delivered a lovely upbeat , main stage set
Nipped to bar to catch the fabby Bonfire Radiczls and then…
Edward 2nd delivered a classic headlining Sat night set…a last gig before taking next yr off.
…..and a celidh in the bar venue to end the fest.
We met some lovely people.
This fest will grow and morph…..glad to catch it in its early days…..

Did you catch Gilmore and Roberts who also played and were there for the whole weekend?

I must check out The Magpies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: