TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:01:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Matty Mystery  (Read 2516 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« on: January 09, 2023, 03:22:29 PM »

I have just been listening to the version of Matty Groves from the Cropredy Capers box which claims to be from 1991. That year was my first Cropredy and I have my own recording of that year's Fairport set. (Yes I know. Naughty me.) On comparison of the recordings this morning I have discovered that these are not the same performance at all and therefore the version from the box is not from 1991. Does anyone have any idea what year it does originate from? It has elements of the Metal Matty arrangement but is not the full wig out that became familiar in 1991/92. It is not from '92 as that version is available on The Cropredy Box album of that year's festival. Could it be 1990? I saw Fairport that year but not at Cropredy and I can't remember what Matty sounded like that year.

There are definitely dating errors on these boxes. The version of Mystery Train with Andy Fairweather Low which it claims as 1992 is certainly from 1991 for example.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 07:55:58 AM »

I have just been listening to the version of Matty Groves from the Cropredy Capers box which claims to be from 1991. That year was my first Cropredy and I have my own recording of that year's Fairport set. (Yes I know. Naughty me.) On comparison of the recordings this morning I have discovered that these are not the same performance at all and therefore the version from the box is not from 1991. Does anyone have any idea what year it does originate from? It has elements of the Metal Matty arrangement but is not the full wig out that became familiar in 1991/92. It is not from '92 as that version is available on The Cropredy Box album of that year's festival. Could it be 1990? I saw Fairport that year but not at Cropredy and I can't remember what Matty sounded like that year.

There are definitely dating errors on these boxes. The version of Mystery Train with Andy Fairweather Low which it claims as 1992 is certainly from 1991 for example.

There is a 1990 Matty on the Cropredy To Portmeirion album, recorded at Brum Town Hall. It's sometimes on YouTube as individual tracks or the whole thing. I'll dig them out and compare.

Well I never did..
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 10:39:19 AM »

The boxset does say that the recording was from a Banbury Mill rehearsal in 1991. But it does seem unlikely that it would then sound that different from the version played on the night.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 02:38:02 PM »

The boxset does say that the recording was from a Banbury Mill rehearsal in 1991. But it does seem unlikely that it would then sound that different from the version played on the night.

Ah, I didn't notice that despite reading the sleeve notes yesterday. That would explain it. Thank you. The festival performance has a much more "stadium rock" ending.
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 05:55:53 AM »

There is a complete 19991 Mill recording floating about on the net.

If you have change for a dollar.

Well I never did..
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 08:37:08 AM »

So! you can see in to the future Mike, prices will have gone up by then!  Wink Grin Roll Eyes

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 03:57:09 PM »

So! you can see in to the future Mike, prices will have gone up by then!  Wink Grin Roll Eyes

Smiley Never listen to Paul Hardcastle when typing numbers.

Well I never did..
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 04:28:44 PM »

Smiley Never listen to Paul Hardcastle when typing numbers.

Grin Grin

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: