TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 08:49:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FC Live at Rockpalast 1976 CD+DVD  (Read 2018 times)
David Gladwin

Loc: The Greenwood

The Wood Road North

« on: November 04, 2022, 10:26:37 AM »

Spotted this at Amazon after seeing it listed in the new edition of Record Collector:

Live at Rockpalast

Press release says:

Rarely seen 1976 performance by Fairport Convention live on German TV’s Rockpalast available on CD/DVD for the first time!

Mainstays of British folk Fairport Convention performing live in 1976.

Experience the band’s virtuosity and stylistic range on CD and DVD.

Booklet includes liner notes by Fairport bassist Dave Pegg.

2022 sees Fairport Convention celebrate their 55th anniversary. Famous for the many who have joined and left only to re-join, remarkably everyone who was ever involved remains part of the band’s extended family, returning to the fold for an annual reunion festival at Cropredy in Oxfordshire.

Starting out as a London ‘underground’ band, their early sound was defined by West Coast American rock and singer/songwriters. Helmed by bassist Ashley Hutchings and featuring singular guitar hero Richard Thompson, the band added folk club singer and songwriter Sandy Denny and signed to Island Records in 1968. Over an astonishingly productive two years, during which fi¬ddle virtuoso Dave Swarbrick joined, the band’s creative gaze shifted from San Francisco to 18th century England. When Hutchings and Denny left at the end of 1969, bassist Dave Pegg joined and Swarbrick became the de facto leader – adding singing and songwriting to his skills. By the time of the band’s fi¬nal Island album, Gottle O’Geer (1976), their name had momentarily changed to ‘Fairport’ and the band consisted of Swarbrick and Pegg with various guests. The music was delightfully quirky and eclectic, and mostly composed by Swarbrick with former Grease Band drummer Bruce Rowland. Augmented by Breton guitarist Dan Ar Bras, ex-Wizzard pianist Bob Brady and young ¬fiddler Roger Burridge, a touring version of Fairport took the Gottle O’Geer show on the road. This line-up lasted only seven months but, happily, one of its fi¬rst gigs was for German television’s Rockpalast – presented here for the ¬first time on DVD & CD, ¬nessed by mastering maestro Eroc. Seven of the ten pieces performed (two in a medley) are from Gottle O’Geer with the others being a Dan Ar Bras hornpipe arrangement for solo guitar and two full-band Scottish and Irish traditional tune sets: ‘Sir B. McKenzie…’ and ‘Dirty Linen’. This March 1976 Rockpalast concert is a compact, sparkling glimpse of Fairport Convention creating a new sound from the mid-70s doldrums and delivering 45 minutes of magic. Dave Pegg remains the keeper of the Fairport fame to this day and this previously unreleased performance remains one of his personal favourites.

And the track list:

Disc: 1
1   Applause
2   Friendship Song (AKA Come and Get It)
3   Limey's Lament
4   Sir B. McKenzie
5   The Boys of Blue Hill
6   When First Into This Country
7   Our Band
8   Lay Me Down Easy
9   Cropredy Capers/The Frog Up the Pump
10   Dirty Linen
Disc: 2
1   Friendship Song (AKA Come and Get It)
2   Limey's Lament
3   Sir B. McKenzie
4   The Boys of Blue Hill
5   When First Into This Country
6   Our Band
7   Lay Me Down Easy
8   Cropredy Capers/The Frog Up the Pump
9   Dirty Linen

MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 10:35:46 AM »

That would explain why an extant Youtube copy of the show recently vanished...
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 10:55:45 AM »

I haven't watched the DVD yet, but the music, while not world-shaking (it's mostly from Gottle...), is good and it's a nice record of a brief moment in the band's history.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 12:33:53 PM »

I'm sure that when I saw it on YouTube a few years ago it included Sloth ... wonder what happened to that ...
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 01:14:16 PM »

I'm sure that when I saw it on YouTube a few years ago it included Sloth ... wonder what happened to that ...

You're not thinking of this one?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxExYZfbKAM

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: