TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:40:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gerry Departs  (Read 10222 times)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2022, 08:32:19 AM »

It was bittersweet reading that announcement the other day. It did not come as a surprise, I was almost expecting it. I have always loved Gerry’s playing, especially his use of percussion in addition to the full kit. I first saw the band in 2005 so he’s always been a defining part of that sound for me. In recent years, though, I will confess I have been more excited about DM joining them on stage at Cropredy because he just puts a bit more power behind it. This year, in particular, me and a friend of mine both kind of gave each other a look when the band came on for the Acoustic set on the Thursday. A look that said  “Gerry doesn’t look well”.

I’m sure this is a dramatic reading of it and that he is perfectly fine just looking for a change of pace. For a band consisting of mostly guys in their 70’s they do well to gig as extensively as they do and I have nothing but respect for them and, in this context, Gerry for keeping it going.

I certainly hope this change becomes a positive one, and that a newcomer can bring some new life into the band. My candidate would be TRADarrr’s Mark Stevens but I expect his diary is pretty full.
I think that Trad Arr could provide excellent backup for more than just the drum stool.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2022, 08:36:07 AM »

It was bittersweet reading that announcement the other day. It did not come as a surprise, I was almost expecting it. I have always loved Gerry’s playing, especially his use of percussion in addition to the full kit. I first saw the band in 2005 so he’s always been a defining part of that sound for me. In recent years, though, I will confess I have been more excited about DM joining them on stage at Cropredy because he just puts a bit more power behind it. This year, in particular, me and a friend of mine both kind of gave each other a look when the band came on for the Acoustic set on the Thursday. A look that said  “Gerry doesn’t look well”.

I’m sure this is a dramatic reading of it and that he is perfectly fine just looking for a change of pace. For a band consisting of mostly guys in their 70’s they do well to gig as extensively as they do and I have nothing but respect for them and, in this context, Gerry for keeping it going.

I certainly hope this change becomes a positive one, and that a newcomer can bring some new life into the band. My candidate would be TRADarrr’s Mark Stevens but I expect his diary is pretty full.

My dramatic reading is the same as yours.  A younger folk-rocking drummer would of course be great but what band would they be joining?  As a jobbing band, Fairport are not (and have not been for a very long time I don't think) a folk-rock band.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2022, 10:03:20 AM »

My dramatic reading is the same as yours.  A younger folk-rocking drummer would of course be great but what band would they be joining?  As a jobbing band, Fairport are not (and have not been for a very long time I don't think) a folk-rock band.
They are, but it's a sliding scale. They need a percussionist these days rather than a full-blown Bonzo  Smiley

My vote is for Owain Wyn Evans...

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2022, 10:08:11 AM »

My vote is for Owain Wyn Evans...

Lol.  At least he'd be good at predicting the Thomo precipitation effect at Cropredy.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2022, 10:21:04 AM »

How about Cormac Byrne? He's more of a percussionist than a drummer. He's played with Seth Lakeman and Show of Hands though I think the first time I saw him was when he was in Uiscedwr.

And he would bring the average age down a bit.  Grin

Quite a list of people he's worked with...
https://www.bcu.ac.uk/conservatoire/about-us/birmingham-conservatoire-tutors-and-staff/cormac-byrne

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2022, 10:46:49 AM »

Potential replacements:

Mike Gregory - old mate of the band, folk rock royalty, part of Rics trio. May suit the "lighter" FC sound
Paul Burgess - heavier drummer, followed Gerry in Tull, followed a parallel path to Fairport, seasoned no nonsense professional
Mark Stevens - great folk rock fit, would the chance to play with FC lure him away from Tradarrr
Neil Marshall - one from a few years back but his work with the Albions / Blue Tapestry / touring with Beth NC was excellent - where is he now
Clive Bunker - keep the Tull link going, would Clive fancy taking the drum stool on with FC or is he too long in the tooth

Or maybe no replacement and DM / Gerry come back for Cropredy to fill an otherwise acoustic 4 piece.

Interesting times.

DW

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2022, 11:31:39 AM »

Potential replacements:

Mike Gregory - old mate of the band, folk rock royalty, part of Rics trio. May suit the "lighter" FC sound
Paul Burgess - heavier drummer, followed Gerry in Tull, followed a parallel path to Fairport, seasoned no nonsense professional
Mark Stevens - great folk rock fit, would the chance to play with FC lure him away from Tradarrr
Neil Marshall - one from a few years back but his work with the Albions / Blue Tapestry / touring with Beth NC was excellent - where is he now
Clive Bunker - keep the Tull link going, would Clive fancy taking the drum stool on with FC or is he too long in the tooth

Or maybe no replacement and DM / Gerry come back for Cropredy to fill an otherwise acoustic 4 piece.

Interesting times.

DW

I could definitely see Mike Gregory / Neil Marshall in the current lineup.  Not sure about the others...  Do wonder if the final option is the most likely.

Andy Leonard

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2022, 11:37:33 AM »

Potential replacements:

Interesting times.

DW

Funnily enough Clive Bunker is a mate of mine and I had lunch with him only yesterday and I asked him if he was interested and he said no. So I can put that one to bed straightaway.

PL (Peter)
able to create swamp magic

Loc: SW Germany

If it`s Wednesday, you survived Tuesday.

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2022, 04:35:32 PM »

Well, I do hope there will be a drummer/percussionist following Gerry, but firstly
Thank You, Gerry, for 24 years of vital contribution to FC music.
All the best to you.
Sue & Chris

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2022, 05:03:05 PM »

Sorry to hear this, but after seeing him at Cropredy not hugely surprised. Thanks and all the best, Gerry.

As for a replacement, what's Barriemore Barlow doing these days?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2022, 05:36:41 PM »

Sorry to hear this, but after seeing him at Cropredy not hugely surprised. Thanks and all the best, Gerry.

Long retired isn't he?

Sue & Chris

« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2022, 06:04:45 PM »

Long retired isn't he?

I think so, yeah.  But would be perfect if he fancied one more go around...
garrypbrooks

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2022, 06:51:36 PM »

How about Cormac Byrne? He's more of a percussionist than a drummer. He's played with Seth Lakeman and Show of Hands though I think the first time I saw him was when he was in Uiscedwr.

And he would bring the average age down a bit.  Grin

Quite a list of people he's worked with...
https://www.bcu.ac.uk/conservatoire/about-us/birmingham-conservatoire-tutors-and-staff/cormac-byrne

Would be very interesting indeed, but highly unlikely IMHO. He's a very busy lad already.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2022, 07:27:39 PM »

Potential replacements:

Interesting times.

DW

I could definitely see Mike Gregory / Neil Marshall in the current lineup.  Not sure about the others...  Do wonder if the final option is the most likely.

I guess if this is the case then the Wintour would likely be cancelled (as no different to Autumn or Spring tour)….
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2022, 07:37:36 PM »

Potential replacements:

Interesting times.

DW

I guess if this is the case then the Wintour would likely be cancelled (as no different to Autumn or Spring tour)….

I'm not sure one necessarily leads to the other does it?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: