TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:49:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gerry Departs  (Read 10223 times)
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2022, 07:57:17 PM »

Gerry's a fine percussionist - not "just" a kit drummer.

Exactly that. I've been with him in the studio and he was full of inventive fills.
He played at the first gig I went to with my new girlfriend (Lady YaBB).
I've meet him and Jacqui many times. Both lovely.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2022, 08:14:13 PM »

I think this is a good move for the band overall. DM’s drumming was far more to my taste. Although with all members now the wrong side of 70, perhaps the precipitates the start of them at least slowing down?

All members aren’t the wrong side of 70… one has a long way to go yet still!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2022, 08:16:42 PM »

I think this is a good move for the band overall. DM’s drumming was far more to my taste. Although with all members now the wrong side of 70, perhaps the precipitates the start of them at least slowing down?

4 and a bit years will flash by in the blink of an eye Wink  And actually, Ric's not 70 til December either...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Godzee

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2022, 09:34:02 PM »

Gosh! My total mistake - you are of course right. *feeling embarrassed* !!! Long may they keep playing.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2022, 09:43:34 PM »

Thanks for the music, Gerry!  It doesn't surprise me that he's leaving, seeing how he was struggling to get onto the drum riser at Cropredy. I guess the idea of touring may be what he doesn't want to do any more, as he says he's not giving up playing altogether.  It will be interesting to see who they get in to replace him.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2022, 01:29:10 AM »

We love Brother Conway in Austin. Here we are at the Woodford Halse Social Club on August 6, 2007. We will miss you GC.

* G Conway 8-6-2007 small.jpg (42.14 KB, 627x418 - viewed 1005 times.)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2022, 06:56:11 AM »

It will be interesting to see who they get in to replace him.

It's a fairly crucial decision which I think will define whether there is any "-rock" left in the old girl at all (I'm somewhat unconvinced) or whether they're comfortable doing the acoustic thing most of the time with added DM at Croppers/special occasions?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2022, 10:10:25 AM »

Thanks for the music, Gerry!  It doesn't surprise me that he's leaving, seeing how he was struggling to get onto the drum riser at Cropredy. I guess the idea of touring may be what he doesn't want to do any more, as he says he's not giving up playing altogether.  It will be interesting to see who they get in to replace him.

He didn't look too comfortable walking at the 2nd warmup show, either - hope it's nothing serious.  The statement says "no longer performing with FC" - so studio sessions with the band not ruled out, then?

Flobbadob!
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2022, 10:35:05 AM »

He didn't look too comfortable walking at the 2nd warmup show, either - hope it's nothing serious.  The statement says "no longer performing with FC" - so studio sessions with the band not ruled out, then?

Now we're meandering down this particular path, I'm going to say that I thought something was up when I saw the band at Farnham Maltings on this year's Wintour.

He played the set beautifully, but no more than what was required musically. He seemed to find walking on to the stage difficult, and after the final notes of Matty Groves before Meet On The Ledge, everyone else left the stage but Gerry, who stayed seated behind the kit, elbows down on the snare drum, head in his hands as if pretending to hide - possibly going off and coming on again would've been too much for him.

While he played as well as ever, his drumming lacked some of its previous power, almost as if he was just "getting through" the gig. I'm not using this as a stick to beat him with  Wink as he's such a good player and a lovely guy, but I thought back then "I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see much more of Gerry".

As Paul says above, I hope it's nothing serious. I wish him all the best for a long (and hopefully only semi-) retirement. Much respect to Gerry for being Fairport's longest-serving stick swiper.

And, of course, best wishes to whoever his successor may be.
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2022, 11:19:23 AM »

I seem to remember the rest of the band helping him out from behind his drum kit (probably as a bit of a joke) back around 2005/6.

We have tickets for the Beehive at Honiton next month, will be really sad not to see Gerry.  I would imagine they will adjust the set accordingly .
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2022, 01:22:39 PM »

As one late to the party, who first saw Fairport live in 1997, he has been the only drummer I have REALLY known them with, so this is a big change!

Good luck Gerry.

Likewise. I've probably seen DM more times with RT than with Fairport. Presumably Gerry is still in good health but I'm guessing that he'd probably had enough of being on the road.

I'm put in mind of Jet Black who latterly just drummed for part of Stranglers' concerts before retiring from the band completely. Difference there was that it was pretty much Jet's band and the others still asked his approval of new material.

Anyway, best wishes to Sir Gerald!  Smiley

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2022, 01:50:16 PM »

As one late to the party, who first saw Fairport live in 1997, he has been the only drummer I have REALLY known them with, so this is a big change!

Good luck Gerry.

Likewise. I've probably seen DM more times with RT than with Fairport. Presumably Gerry is still in good health but I'm guessing that he'd probably had enough of being on the road.

I'm put in mind of Jet Black who latterly just drummed for part of Stranglers' concerts before retiring from the band completely. Difference there was that it was pretty much Jet's band and the others still asked his approval of new material.

Anyway, best wishes to Sir Gerald!  Smiley

Jet carried on bashing (and he did bash!) until 79.  He's 84 now I think.

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2022, 06:47:55 PM »

In thinking about what’s next it is interesting to note that with few exceptions, new members of Fairport have always come from circles of friends and or other bands Fairport has familiarity with. Chris Leslie, Gerry, Maart, Ric, Jerry D, Trevor, Dan Ar Braz, to name a few. Not sure how Bruce came to the band, though obviously the guys would have been aware of him and I’m guessing it was down to making sure he was comfortable. So you really have to go back to DM, and Peggy for guys who were actually auditioned in  the traditional sense, though even that came with Swarbs recommendation. My point is I’d be very surprised if it was not someone they already knew. Not sure of their commitments and fit with Fairport but on these lines, how about Michael Gregory or Liam Genockey?

In any event, cheers Gerry! Top gent and great drummer and percussionist!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Greg E

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2022, 04:57:15 PM »

Liam is busy in a Folk Rock band that does still 'Rock'.. 😉  Grin
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2022, 05:32:48 PM »

Liam is busy in a Folk Rock band that does still 'Rock'.. 😉  Grin

If they're going to get an ex-Steeleye drummer in, let's make sure it's DM  Wink Smiley

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2022, 08:59:48 PM »

I know Liam is already ‘employed’, I hasten to add. Just having a little fun!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2022, 09:18:13 PM »

Speculating wildly, I wonder whether they're going to do the acoustic/no drummer thing most of the time going forward, picking up drummers on special occasions or for limited "electric" tours. If they're in the market for a full-time drummer, however, I nominate my second favorite* living English drummer, Kenney Jones. I've listened to the entire Small Faces catalog a zillion times, and I am addicted to his bass drum.  Smiley

*Ringo Starr is busy.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2022, 09:22:10 PM »

Speculating wildly, I wonder whether they're going to do the acoustic/no drummer thing most of the time going forward, picking up drummers on special occasions or for limited "electric" tours. If they're in the market for a full-time drummer, however, I nominate my second favorite* living English drummer, Kenney Jones. I've listened to the entire Small Faces catalog a zillion times, and I am addicted to his bass drum.  Smiley

*Ringo Starr is busy.

I've always rated Kenney, but I can barely think of a single drummer who less matches the requirements of Fairport in the 3rd decade of the 21st century.  Can you genuinely imagine KJ playing on Shuffle and Go?  Anyway, I think he's more interested in polo these days, isn't he? Wink

KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2022, 11:13:52 PM »

It was bittersweet reading that announcement the other day. It did not come as a surprise, I was almost expecting it. I have always loved Gerry’s playing, especially his use of percussion in addition to the full kit. I first saw the band in 2005 so he’s always been a defining part of that sound for me. In recent years, though, I will confess I have been more excited about DM joining them on stage at Cropredy because he just puts a bit more power behind it. This year, in particular, me and a friend of mine both kind of gave each other a look when the band came on for the Acoustic set on the Thursday. A look that said  “Gerry doesn’t look well”.

I’m sure this is a dramatic reading of it and that he is perfectly fine just looking for a change of pace. For a band consisting of mostly guys in their 70’s they do well to gig as extensively as they do and I have nothing but respect for them and, in this context, Gerry for keeping it going.

I certainly hope this change becomes a positive one, and that a newcomer can bring some new life into the band. My candidate would be TRADarrr’s Mark Stevens but I expect his diary is pretty full.

Imponderable Joy
garrypbrooks

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2022, 07:30:10 AM »

Sorry to see Gerry go, but not surprised, given the physical demands of drumming (and touring), and his age.  
He's had a good innings with Fairport, and personally I preferred him to DM whose style I find a bit monotonous at times.
No idea who will replace him - maybe someone (with more knowledge of musicianship than me) could open a book?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: