TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 12:04:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2022 - Clannad  (Read 2204 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« on: August 23, 2022, 02:37:54 PM »

I had really been looking forward to seeing Clannad since they were announced, given that it looked like being my only chance to ever see them as they are on their farewell tour - and it currently looks as if this may have been their penultimate gig, given that they have had to cancel the North America leg of their tour.

I did wonder a bit how they would go down in an outdoor space, but from the front, where I was, they were excellent, despite some technical issues.  I was a little surprised not to see Noel Duggan on stage as the programme suggested that all four surviving members would be playing, but the three Brennan siblings did a good job, ably supported by three backing musicians (never named apart from Aisling Jarvis - who appropriately enough is Maire's daughter, thus keeping it all in the family!  I'm not sure that the extra keyboard player wasn't her son Paul either.)

It was good to hear quite a mixture of music from across their history, from the first song they recorded to the most recent (produced apparently by Trevor Horn, who followed them onstage).

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 04:34:18 PM »

For self preservation I missed several sets because of the heat, others because I didnt want to see them and this one which I would have watched, but the lure of Merry Hell was far too great. Despite all that my poor old body had a very good time but took a few days to recover!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 05:07:15 PM »

Having loved them since (and especially in) their earlier more folky days, i was slightly worried for them that they might be  bit too "quiet! for Cropredy and might bomb a bit. However, I'm delighted to say I think they stormed it right through to the end and did themselves proud. Tír Eoghain abú   :-)

PS - I just learnt how to do a fada/acute accent, by holding Alt-Gr as you enter the vowel...

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 08:12:53 PM »

Loved them. Very ethereal and beautiful, felt like a gentle massage at the end of a hard day battling the heat.

Lovely to hear numbers I recall listening to when I was young, in the family home, as my mum had a tape of theirs.
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 09:20:05 PM »

A bit dubious after several years off and in such a big space, but positioned myself in the shade of the stage and was transported. Loved every moment and found tears running down my cheeks with the early favourites. Worth missing Merry Hell!
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 09:36:13 PM »

I really enjoyed their set. I think I was expecting a lot of the ethereal stuff, which wouldn't have gone down so well, but they did lots of lively folky stuff as well. And Harry's Game was sublime.

Paul

StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2022, 11:42:40 PM »

I forgot to say I've seen Máire do a fair few things on Irish telly in the last few years (some IMO ill-advised) and her voice was maybe beginning to slip - but she sounded better than ever and even looked better than ever at Cropredy. the magic of the place!

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: