TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 02:20:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy On The Radio 2022  (Read 5949 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« on: August 13, 2022, 06:16:53 PM »

Oh dear, after 2 years away the Radio Oxford broadcast quality is up to its usual shoddy standard it seems but as the victims were the world's least funny novelty band I am not too bothered. Hope they will get themselves together in time for the main event though.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 07:46:32 PM »

Oh dear, after 2 years away the Radio Oxford broadcast quality is up to its usual shoddy standard it seems but as the victims were the world's least funny novelty band I am not too bothered. Hope they will get themselves together in time for the main event though.

Sounds like they did you a favour  Wink Roll Eyes Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2022, 08:02:48 PM »

Sounds like they did you a favour  Wink Roll Eyes Grin

The bad news is that the live feed from the field burned out after 10 minutes and isn't back yet so possibly touch and go whether we will get to hear Fairport live.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2022, 09:50:42 PM »

Well, I don't think Radio Oxford have ever managed to broadcast Fairport's set without cocking it up in some manner but tonight they have excelled themselves by not broadcasting it at all.  Angry

Oh well, I'm off to find something to watch on telly.
MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2022, 09:59:22 PM »

Very disappointing Sad
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2022, 10:28:17 PM »

Agreed, very disappointing. Disappointed that there was seemingly no contingency plan for extreme weather conditions : alternative or backup broadcast equipment, we are talking about the BBC, for goodness' sake, not a bunch of amateurs.

At least they're recording the set for broadcast at a later date, fingers crossed some decent footage goes out on YouTube too.

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2022, 10:42:45 PM »

Agreed, very disappointing. Disappointed that there was seemingly no contingency plan for extreme weather conditions : alternative or backup broadcast equipment, we are talking about the BBC, for goodness' sake, not a bunch of amateurs.

At least they're recording the set for broadcast at a later date, fingers crossed some decent footage goes out on YouTube too.

And yet, every time they have covered Cropredy they have sounded exactly like a bunch of amateurs.
Wandering Steve

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2022, 10:47:26 PM »

Sounding good on the field.
Beautiful evening listening to the band.

Shame about the radio coverage but worse things happen.
iandiddams

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2022, 08:53:55 PM »

albeit this was 40 years ago now, but I worked for a local BBC radio station on cricket OBUs. Things may have altered drasticlaly, and without meaning to sound like a criticism of local radio back then, it was a far cry from BBC national programming and stations, and light years from TV provision. That may be the case still.
PhilipK

Loc: Hampshire, UK

Looking forward to Cropredy 2024...

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2022, 11:01:58 PM »

Oh dear, after 2 years away the Radio Oxford broadcast quality is up to its usual shoddy standard it seems but as the victims were the world's least funny novelty band I am not too bothered.

Did that happen before, or after, the extremely amusing and talented (and extremely popular at Cropredy) Bar-Steward Sons of Val Doonican?

--
Philip
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2022, 02:42:11 PM »

Oh dear, after 2 years away the Radio Oxford broadcast quality is up to its usual shoddy standard it seems but as the victims were the world's least funny novelty band I am not too bothered.

Did that happen before, or after, the extremely amusing and talented (and extremely popular at Cropredy) Bar-Steward Sons of Val Doonican?

One man's meat...

I have a very low threshold for "comedy" songs and "funny" costumes.
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2022, 05:27:48 PM »

Amazing how many of the people coming on here to bad say a band weren't actually there!!!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2022, 05:52:12 PM »

Amazing how many of the people coming on here to bad say a band weren't actually there!!!

Well, given that this is a thread about the radio coverage I would say that is a prerequisite.
Ja Howie
n3wb

Loc: Staffordshire

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2022, 12:29:34 PM »

For those that couldn't make it (or those that want to relive it) the Radio Oxford recording is going out in the early hours tonight. 1am start. Then on BBC "Sounds" for a month.
spooley (Simon)

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2022, 02:37:06 PM »

Here's the link to the BBC site:
  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0ctzjtw
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2022, 03:53:37 PM »

Thankyou for posting! Smiley...Iain Matthews sounding splendid!...Perfect chilled Saturday afternoon listening! Cool
Roger Thorpe

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2022, 03:58:16 PM »

Oh, thank you both for that. I couldn't get to Croredy so had settled down to listen to it on the radio last week only to be very disappointed. I searched on the Radio Oxford site a few times only to find the truncated show and had given up looking yesterday.
So here it is, and it sounds great.
Roger
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2022, 04:38:27 PM »

Thankyou for posting! Smiley...Iain Matthews sounding splendid!...Perfect chilled Saturday afternoon listening! Cool

Apologies for double posting, but listening now to Fairport's set & have to say this is a great sounding recording, way better than any live stream I've heard!...Nice one John Gale & Radio Oxford! Smiley
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 05:04:14 PM by Glen S » Logged
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2022, 07:16:33 PM »

I am sitting in my living room pretending it is last Saturday, European Championships on TV and Cropredy on the stereo. Splendid.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2022, 07:26:59 PM »

I am sitting in my living room pretending it is last Saturday, European Championships on TV and Cropredy on the stereo. Splendid.

I haven’t listened to all of the broadcast yet, but got as far as Fotheringay....It is a beautiful Fotheringay...any naysayers about Simon should listen to it..I said it on the night and it was even more apparent via the clarity of the recording. He still has a wonderful voice. I appreciate his talent more and more as the years go by.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: