TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 03:35:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Non-alcoholic beer in cans  (Read 5366 times)
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« on: August 06, 2022, 07:12:54 PM »

This year I have to curtail (but not cease) my beer intake, and I've become partial (as second-best option) to some non-alcoholic beers (I mean ales, not lagers). I'm assuming the Cropredy bar isn't going to have such an option. There are several bottled options here in Ireland but I 'd really prefer to take a pile of cans than a pile of bottles for reasons of weight, safety and handiness. So the question is, does anyone know of a UK major brand supermarket that  sells decent canned ale (or wheat beer but not lager). I'm not talking connoisseur stuff here but I'm sure I've seen the like of Speckled Hen and Abbotts in cans somewhere. I don't need the location, just the chain that sells it, and I'll find one on the journey down.
Thanks in advance...

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 07:26:43 PM »

All the major supermarkets have a decent range of non-alcoholic beverages. There’s a Tesco in Banbury just off the motorway.

I’m taking no alcohol cider as I too will be reducing my consumption, particularly with it being so hot.

Brewdog is a particular favourite of mine.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 07:33:19 PM »

So am I due to my chronic kidney disease… annoying isn’t it!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 07:42:54 PM »

You could order some from Amazon and have it delivered to someone who would bring it down for you.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
vince42

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 09:02:53 PM »

If you like a hoppy ale I can recommend Nanny State by Brewdog widely available in supermarkets.  One of the few non alcoholic beers that actually tastes of something.  Also worth trying Adnams Ghost Ship non alcohol - Morrisons and others.

Vince
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 10:02:40 PM »

I have never been interested in low alcohol beer, but recently I became intrigued at the idea of Guinness 0%, so I bought a 4 pack in my local Tesco, and have to say it looked and tasted very similar to the real thing, but the head disappeared quickly.  I won't buy it again as my curiosity has been sated, but its really not bad.

The Dude abides
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 10:58:53 PM »

I have never been interested in low alcohol beer, but recently I became intrigued at the idea of Guinness 0%, so I bought a 4 pack in my local Tesco, and have to say it looked and tasted very similar to the real thing, but the head disappeared quickly.  I won't buy it again as my curiosity has been sated, but its really not bad.
I'm a fan of 0% Guinness, whereas Brewdog's 0% stuff left me with an upset stomach. Most of the time I drink water, but Dandelion & Burdock or Ginger Beer also feature. I have to say neither taste great after a day on a hot field.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
StephenB
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 12:36:02 AM »

Thanks all. Food (or drink) for thought there. We have a Tesco but I was never drawn to Brewdog due to the tiny cans - hardly worth opening them...
I agree Andy, I'm very pleasantly surprised at Guinness Zero, especially after their ill-fated dabbles in lager, white beer, etc. It doesn't keep its head but it does taste like Guinness. It's like the extra pint of it someone buys you at a wedding and its still there at the end so you swig it down anyway, despite it being flat and watery.

I might look for a Morrisons- I'm really looking for a variety to keep things interesting
Cheers all, bottoms up 🥴

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2022, 12:52:10 AM »

Maybe it's just best to stick to (low/no sugar) soft drinks.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
StephenB
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2022, 04:09:12 AM »

No it's not (for me)... i like to savour the feel and taste of a beer, (or a wine) and the odd soft drink for quenching the thirst, but i couldn't imagine nursing a fizzy drink for half an hour. I do realise 0% beers aren't  for everyone,but they'll do me.

garrypbrooks

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2022, 07:57:51 AM »

If you like a hoppy ale I can recommend Nanny State by Brewdog widely available in supermarkets.  One of the few non alcoholic beers that actually tastes of something.  Also worth trying Adnams Ghost Ship non alcohol - Morrisons and others.

Vince

THe low alcohold Ghost ship (0.5% alcohol) is quite good, the citra hops mask the unmistakable (not enjoyable) tang of most low alcohol beers. Brewdog AF, however, is my choice if I need to be on a np-low, it tastes like a proper beer.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2022, 11:34:02 AM »

I can personally recommend https://www.bigdropbrew.com/ (my mate James started the company) on the grounds that they won best beer overall at a festival without any of the panel knowing they were drinking non-alcoholic beer! Also, it comes in cans.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2022, 11:37:42 AM »

I can personally recommend https://www.bigdropbrew.com/ (my mate James started the company) on the grounds that they won best beer overall at a festival without any of the panel knowing they were drinking non-alcoholic beer! Also, it comes in cans.

I'm a bit confused.  Their online presence talks about alcohol free but then suggests all their beer is 0.5ABV?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2022, 12:34:40 PM »

I'm a bit confused.  Their online presence talks about alcohol free but then suggests all their beer is 0.5ABV?

If you buy non- alcoholic in Sainsburys it still flags up at the automatic tills to be age verified. For the avoidance of doubt I wouldnt touch it, its either beer or water for me.  Grin

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2022, 02:06:10 PM »

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/news/what-s-the-difference-between-low-alcohol-and-alcohol-free-drinks

I don’t make the rules.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2022, 02:13:05 PM »

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/news/what-s-the-difference-between-low-alcohol-and-alcohol-free-drinks

I don’t make the rules.

I think you're missing my point. For instance this can says both "alcohol free" and "0.5% ABV".  That, according the list above is incorrect then...isn't it?  https://www.bigdropbrew.com/home/

* citra-paradiso-compressed-480x671.jpg (147.61 KB, 480x671 - viewed 543 times.)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 02:26:35 PM by davidmjs » Logged

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2022, 03:11:01 PM »

“This means that ‘alcohol-free’ beers can contain a very small amount of alcohol.  But how much is 0.05% ABV? To give you some context, a pint (568ml) of 1% ABV beer contains just over half a unit of alcohol[1], which is why 0.05% ABV drinks can be labelled as alcohol-free.”

I, honestly, would take it up with them if it’s bothering you that much.  Roll Eyes

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2022, 04:03:42 PM »

“This means that ‘alcohol-free’ beers can contain a very small amount of alcohol.  But how much is 0.05% ABV? To give you some context, a pint (568ml) of 1% ABV beer contains just over half a unit of alcohol[1], which is why 0.05% ABV drinks can be labelled as alcohol-free.”

I, honestly, would take it up with them if it’s bothering you that much.  Roll Eyes

Shane, you're getting your 0.05 and 0.5's mixed up. If it said 0.05 you'd obviously be correct (and so would they).  It doesn't, it says 0.5, in which case it is not alcohol free (but can be called "de-alcoholised").

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2022, 10:05:42 PM »

Caffeine-free tea and coffee both contain caffeine.

But lots less than the usual stuff.

I have bought AF cider, lager and G&T for Cropredy. I shall alternate them with the alcoholic versions purchased from the bar  Tiara

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
bob_g

Loc: Mitcham

Bob

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2022, 09:37:22 PM »

Wonder if Hook Norton will run dry, like Wadsworths did one very hot year? The hotter it is, the later I go to the bar, but if people start panic beering…  Grin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: