TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:47:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sandy Denny - All Our Days  (Read 2128 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« on: June 07, 2022, 05:22:00 PM »

I was listening to Sandy's Rendezvous today, and doing a little research as I went.  I have the 2012 release, and one of the bonus tracks is a choral version of All Our Days.  Not really to my taste, but I learnt from the Mainly Norfolk website that there was also a fully orchestrated instrumental version recorded, which was released (with the choral version) on the first Attic Tracks release, but I can't track down whether it has ever been released elsewhere (unless it is the one described as 'full length version' on the 19CD box).  Does anyone have any idea about this?  Thanks for your wisdom.  Smiley

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 09:14:21 AM »

Interesting Will.  I wish I knew more-  hope someone does.

I will now locate my CD of Rendezvous to find the bonus track you mention, and which I'd forgotten about. 🙂
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 09:42:09 AM »

I was listening to Sandy's Rendezvous today, and doing a little research as I went.  I have the 2012 release, and one of the bonus tracks is a choral version of All Our Days.  Not really to my taste, but I learnt from the Mainly Norfolk website that there was also a fully orchestrated instrumental version recorded, which was released (with the choral version) on the first Attic Tracks release, but I can't track down whether it has ever been released elsewhere (unless it is the one described as 'full length version' on the 19CD box).  Does anyone have any idea about this?  Thanks for your wisdom.  Smiley

Apparently the choral version was going to close the original Rendezvous album as a reprise. The full length version on the 19CD box is the same recording as the album version but with about another minute or so of introduction.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 12:02:13 PM »

Apparently the choral version was going to close the original Rendezvous album as a reprise. The full length version on the 19CD box is the same recording as the album version but with about another minute or so of introduction.

Thanks for that information.  So apparently the orchestrated version hasn't been released since the first Attic Tracks cassette, then?

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 12:30:28 PM »

Thanks for that information.  So apparently the orchestrated version hasn't been released since the first Attic Tracks cassette, then?

I believe not, no.
arie

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 01:46:47 PM »

According to that same Mainly Norfolk website the missing version:
"...is a fully orchestrated version arranged and conducted by Harry Robertson, but without vocals. It stands up as a piece of music in its own right, and shows some of Sandy's classical influences as the music was written to reflect the four seasons of like in All Our Days."

So strictly speaking it doesn't feature Sandy at all, which probably is the reason why it wasn't included on the monster box set. That set had some albums, like "Liege & Lief" truncated too, in case of the tracks that didn't feature her.

vriendelijke groeten
Arie
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2022, 02:33:03 PM »

Vielen danke, Arie.

That is good thinking, and very probably the reason it wasn't on that set.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: