TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:52:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Box Of Pegg’s Question  (Read 2665 times)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« on: April 20, 2022, 04:00:57 PM »

Though I missed out on A Box Of Pegg's the first time around I noticed it available on Itunes recently at a very affordable price, even when taking into consideration all the tracks I already have. I had a question regarding two particular tracks however, that maybe someone with the booklet can answer for me. First is though it clearly is the 'Nine' lineup, does anyone know anything about the track Pick Me Up? Has there ever been a studio version and if not, why not! That could have had some airplay I'm willing to bet IMHO. The second question is simply what year and where was the version of Instrumental Medley '85 recorded? Based on the crowd noise I would guess Cropredy but is really such a standout performance from Peggy. Thanks in advance.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 05:14:48 PM »

Though I missed out on A Box Of Pegg's the first time around I noticed it available on Itunes recently at a very affordable price, even when taking into consideration all the tracks I already have. I had a question regarding two particular tracks however, that maybe someone with the booklet can answer for me. First is though it clearly is the 'Nine' lineup, does anyone know anything about the track Pick Me Up? Has there ever been a studio version and if not, why not! That could have had some airplay I'm willing to bet IMHO. The second question is simply what year and where was the version of Instrumental Medley '85 recorded? Based on the crowd noise I would guess Cropredy but is really such a standout performance from Peggy. Thanks in advance.

Pick Me Up is by Bryn Haworth, who supported Fairport on tour in 1975. Sandy Denny also recorded the Haworth-penned Moments after hearing him perform it.
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 05:29:46 PM »

Pick Me Up is by Bryn Haworth, who supported Fairport on tour in 1975. Sandy Denny also recorded the Haworth-penned Moments after hearing him perform it.

Thanks for that. Never heard of Bryn before but just had a listen via YouTube. More things to explore...it never ends!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Graham B

Loc: Northamptonshire

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 10:15:29 AM »

Instrumental Medley 85 was recorded live at Cropredy in 1992.
The booklet says "This was the second number in Fairport's epic two night set for their 25th anniversary Cropredy. On July 26, less than three weeks before the festival, Ric Sanders had an unfortunate encounter with a plate glass window, which left him incapable of playing the fiddle. Enter Chris Leslie who is heard on this track'.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2022, 01:42:33 PM »

Thanks for that. Never heard of Bryn before but just had a listen via YouTube. More things to explore...it never ends!

For the last 30 or so years Bryn has been heavily involved in the Christian scene and his concerts became very evangelistic particularly towards the end of a set. Still plenty of good music whatever your inclination.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2022, 02:42:32 PM »

Instrumental Medley 85 was recorded live at Cropredy in 1992.
The booklet says "This was the second number in Fairport's epic two night set for their 25th anniversary Cropredy. On July 26, less than three weeks before the festival, Ric Sanders had an unfortunate encounter with a plate glass window, which left him incapable of playing the fiddle. Enter Chris Leslie who is heard on this track'.

Thanks for that Graham. I knew it wasn’t Ric playing so that certainly explains why! Appreciate it. And thanks Nick, I did read that about Bryn when reading his biography

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 11:30:29 AM »

Bryn is an excellent musician. He appeared at Cropredy one year as a special guest, and then recorded an album at Woodworm which Peggy and Chris played on. He's actually just recorded another album there too.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2022, 01:07:42 PM »

For the last 30 or so years Bryn has been heavily involved in the Christian scene and his concerts became very evangelistic particularly towards the end of a set. Still plenty of good music whatever your inclination.

over 30 years ago my secretary at the time , together with her husband, organised regular concerts by Christian musicians at a lovely little theatre at the local museum. We went to quite a few and saw some excellent performances Bryn, Garth Hewitt, Martyn Joseph , Paul Huh

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: