TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:39:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 189958 times)
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1320 on: March 19, 2024, 09:37:54 PM »

Joan in the Garden, the new (19 minute!) song from the Decemberists forthcoming double album. Ruddy brilliant it is too. I’ve got a huge amount of time for this band, especially Colin Meloy who has performed loads of free one-hour solo gigs on Instagram. Just him, his guitar(s) and his iPhone. Wonderful stuff, and I’m hoping for some UK dates later this year, in addition to the one festival announcement so far.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1321 on: March 20, 2024, 04:35:47 PM »

In my mind's ear when I awoke this morning,

Rush's fifth album, A Farewell To Kings, was recorded at Rockfield Studios in Monmouth in June & July 1977, then released in September, this was the first of theirs that I had heard. I'm still amazed it peaked at only no. 22 in the album charts in the UK.

Although best-known for the eponymous opening track and Closer To The Heart, a multi-song extravaganza awaits your ears.

Cygnus X-1 Book I: The Voyage  (credited to Geddy Lee, Neil Peart (d. 2020) & Alex Lifeson) is a four part science fiction "epic" song taking place in outer space in the centre of a black hole named Cygnus X-1, where the character decides to take a closer look in his spaceship, the Rocinante. Peart was inspired by an article about black holes and their origin in Time magazine and went about researching the topic further. Lee thought that the science-fiction genre presented limitless ideas which gave the band the excuse to "use all your goofy, weird sounds because that's what's happening out in space."

The story was concluded on their next album, Hemispheres (1978) which opens with the six-part sequel, Cygnus X-1 Book II, forming a six song series with a combined length of 18 minutes.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 10:39:41 AM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1322 on: March 20, 2024, 05:00:41 PM »

Joan in the Garden, the new (19 minute!) song from the Decemberists forthcoming double album. Ruddy brilliant it is too. I’ve got a huge amount of time for this band, especially Colin Meloy who has performed loads of free one-hour solo gigs on Instagram. Just him, his guitar(s) and his iPhone. Wonderful stuff, and I’m hoping for some UK dates later this year, in addition to the one festival announcement so far.

Just listened now.  Fab... Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1323 on: March 21, 2024, 10:02:45 AM »

Thanks for the reminder, Andy.  Haven't listened to it for a while, but it has been a favourite since I first discovered it (sometime in the early 80s, when I discovered music), so I'm putting it on now.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1324 on: March 21, 2024, 10:41:32 AM »

Today's earworm: The one side of four this album had that makes it all worthwhile.

Fifty years old!

Nous Sommes Du Soleil

* TOTO.jpg (85.07 KB, 500x500 - viewed 174 times.)

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1325 on: March 21, 2024, 11:03:46 AM »

Today's earworm: The one side of four this album had that makes it all worthwhile.

Fifty years old!

Nous Sommes Du Soleil

I struggle with most of side 3, but the rest of it is the best stuff that Yes ever did.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1326 on: March 21, 2024, 11:39:15 AM »

Fifty years old!

Nous Sommes Du Soleil

I struggle with most of side 3, but the rest of it is the best stuff that Yes ever did.

Jules

Strange that Jules. I didn't think you were a prog person.
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #1327 on: March 21, 2024, 12:17:52 PM »

I got my battered well-loved copy signed by Roger Dean...

Now, can anyone tell me what it all means?
Might give it a fond spin later.

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1328 on: March 21, 2024, 12:21:15 PM »

Fifty years old!

Nous Sommes Du Soleil

Jules

I've been trying to persuade him to emerge from the prog closet for years, but it's a long and delicate process.
I'm surprised too, even proud progsters have trouble with that album.

Well I never did..
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1329 on: March 21, 2024, 01:06:41 PM »

Let's face it, the way he worded it doesn't mean he really thinks it is good, just that it is better than anything else they did!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Peter Allen

« Reply #1330 on: March 21, 2024, 01:24:25 PM »

I just think , so shortly afterwards , Pete Shelley spoke so much more clearly to the 15/16 year old me in 3 minute 7" bursts of energy

Singles Going Steady is the antidote to "Tales From Topographic Oceans"
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1331 on: March 21, 2024, 02:02:22 PM »

I'm not really. I wrestle with it. When it comes down to it, I like Mike Oldfield's first four, most of the Pink Floyd stuff (even though Roger Waters is doing his best to make me want to bin the lot of them), and some 70s Yes, even though I know it's ridiculous twaddle. But god bless Jon Anderson, he knew how to write a melodic tune. The rest of it can largely bugger off.

But if you're going to listen to Yes, you may as well go all in. Tales was their zenith. Their most ambitious. And their most transcendent.

Jules

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1332 on: March 21, 2024, 02:10:23 PM »

I'm not really. I wrestle with it. When it comes down to it, I like Mike Oldfield's first four, most of the Pink Floyd stuff (even though Roger Waters is doing his best to make me want to bin the lot of them), and some 70s Yes, even though I know it's ridiculous twaddle. But god bless Jon Anderson, he knew how to write a melodic tune. The rest of it can largely bugger off.

But if you're going to listen to Yes, you may as well go all in. Tales was their zenith. Their most ambitious. And their most transcendent.

Jules

Transcendent ridiculous twaddle is about right. I love me some of that.

Well I never did..
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1333 on: March 21, 2024, 02:37:26 PM »

Transcendent ridiculous twaddle is about right. I love me some of that.

Yes, I think so. Pretentiousness gets a bad rap. Pretentiousness is artists trying to push beyond what has already been done. It can end up with people pointing and laughing, but I think we should at least applaud the effort involved and the risk to career and dignity.

In the late 60s and early 70s, people like Pete Townshend, Jon Anderson, and Peter Gabriel were bursting with creativity and ideas. Some of those ideas were bordering on bonkers, but I salute their ambitions nevertheless. Yes without Anderson and Genesis without Gabriel are empty vehicles to my ears, because the conceptual guys had gone leaving just the technically accomplished musicians who had nothing interesting to say.

Jules

Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1334 on: March 21, 2024, 03:31:56 PM »

I learned to appreciate Tales From Topographic Oceans from the first time I saw Yes live in 1998 (a lineup of Anderson, Squire, Howe, White, Igor Khoroshev on keyboards and Billy Sherwood (who's now the late Chris Squire-chosen bassist) on guitar & vocals.

They played the whole of Side 1, The Revealing Science Of God, and suddenly it all made sense.

Or as much sense as it could, anyway...
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1335 on: March 21, 2024, 03:37:22 PM »

Joshua Burnell in general, The Road to Horn Fair in particular. It seems to be a bit of a homage to 70s folk rock, akin to Offa Rex, whereas his newer material (Glass Knight) is more contemporary sounding, and quite catchy in places. Don't know much about him except he played Cropredy last year (I didn't go).

Any fans here?
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1336 on: March 21, 2024, 03:50:44 PM »

I learned to appreciate Tales From Topographic Oceans from the first time I saw Yes live in 1998 (a lineup of Anderson, Squire, Howe, White, Igor Khoroshev on keyboards and Billy Sherwood (who's now the late Chris Squire-chosen bassist) on guitar & vocals.

They played the whole of Side 1, The Revealing Science Of God, and suddenly it all made sense.

Or as much sense as it could, anyway...

That's the only track I listen to from Tales.

I've recently listened to Talk, and its far better than the two previous Rabin albums. I think Jon Anderson had more input on this one.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1337 on: March 21, 2024, 05:47:23 PM »

I just think, so shortly afterwards, Pete Shelley spoke so much more clearly to the 15/16 year old me in 3 minute 7" bursts of energy

Singles Going Steady is the antidote to "Tales From Topographic Oceans"

When you reach a certain age, you just think f*** it, and admit that you're able to enjoy both of them, although not necessarily on the same day.

Jules

Peter Allen

« Reply #1338 on: March 21, 2024, 07:49:38 PM »

Thanks Jules - Understood , and actually I came to Gabriel with his second & third solo albums and then went very briefly back to try the Lamb , the shorter songs at least
I obviously have a very short attention span , which is not conducive to listening to prog...
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1339 on: March 21, 2024, 11:56:18 PM »

Fifty years old!

Nous Sommes Du Soleil

Jules

I need to give it another spin. I've only listened once through (within the last year in fact), and I think I was influenced by negative opinions I read long before I ever pushed "play."
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: