TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:17:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John writer(s)  (Read 3715 times)
dooovall [Daniel]

Loc: Ohio

« on: March 02, 2022, 06:04:02 PM »

I've noticed various conflicting attributions regarding the authorship of the song Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

On the back cover of the Rosie CD (the Island remastered version that includes five bonus tracks), the songwriting credit goes to "Pegg/Swarbrick/Mattacks/Thompson/Nicol".

On page 40 of the Fairport Convention Songbook 2 (with transcriptions by Maartin Allcock), the only credited writer is Dave Pegg.

The live version of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John from April 23rd, 1973 (the first bonus track on the remastered Rosie CD) includes pre-song chatter from Trevor: "This is a song, uh, that Peggy wrote the tune [?] and Swarb wrote the words of.  It's called Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John."  (Between "tune" and "and" Trevor says a one-syllable word that I can't hear clearly... perhaps "for" or "to" or "of".)

The attribution to the Full House lineup makes me wonder if those five ever recorded a version of this song.

I don't have the liner notes from the First Ten Years box set nearby, but there are at least two different versions of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John on that set.  What do those credits say?

Anyone have an authoritative answer as to who wrote Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John?
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 06:34:59 PM »

Just looked at the First Ten Years booklet...

Writers' credits for the "David Rae vocal version" and the OGWT 17/04/73 recording are shown as: "Swarbrick, Mattacks, Pegg, Nicol, Thompson".

But, for the Fairfield Halls recording of 16/12/73 - the writers are shown as: "Dave Swarbrick, Dave Mattacks, Dave Pegg, Simon Nicol, Fischer Thompson".

Who the last-named is I have no idea, unless it's RT's long lost "Wild Man" relative... ;-)

Might be worth asking the chaps via FB?

Flobbadob!
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 03:52:08 PM »

It's actually a really thought-provoking lyric and my favourite song on the album. "Rosie" is not such a bad album as some allege it to be ... The Plainsman, The Hen's March and the title track are all really strong tracks. "Gottle o' Geer" on the other hand ...  Undecided
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 10:12:40 AM »

Just looked at the First Ten Years booklet...

Writers' credits for the "David Rae vocal version" and the OGWT 17/04/73 recording are shown as: "Swarbrick, Mattacks, Pegg, Nicol, Thompson".

But, for the Fairfield Halls recording of 16/12/73 - the writers are shown as: "Dave Swarbrick, Dave Mattacks, Dave Pegg, Simon Nicol, Fischer Thompson".

Who the last-named is I have no idea, unless it's RT's long lost "Wild Man" relative... ;-)

Might be worth asking the chaps via FB?

On the original Island vinyl LP, the credits for the song are to Swarbrick/Pegg, both on the rear sleeve and the label.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 10:39:20 AM »

I'm sure I read about the genuine authorship of this song somewhere long ago, and it said that the five man writing credit was an error. Thing is, I can't recall where I read it. I also have it in my head that the Swarbrick/Pegg credit is the true one. But I can't back it up.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 12:02:21 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q-qix8G8ZI

This is the manor sessions version - sounds like a mash up with Sympathy for the Devil!

DW
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2022, 12:50:20 PM »

This is the manor sessions version - sounds like a mash up with Sympathy for the Devil!

DW

Lol.  I must have heard that 20 times and that thought has never come to me...I'll never be able to listen to it again, now!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2022, 04:58:30 PM »

DW

Desperately in need of getting Keef in to overdub his thang

The Dude abides
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2022, 05:36:51 PM »

I'm sure I read about the genuine authorship of this song somewhere long ago, and it said that the five man writing credit was an error. Thing is, I can't recall where I read it. I also have it in my head that the Swarbrick/Pegg credit is the true one. But I can't back it up.

Jules

I asked this question about 5 years ago, at which point you (Jules) said that you had heard Swarb say that the Swarbrick/Pegg credit was the correct one and that' about as far as we got in the discussion (apart froma  few people saying 'well, he would say that, wouldn't he...'

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2022, 11:23:59 PM »

I asked this question about 5 years ago, at which point you (Jules) said that you had heard Swarb say that the Swarbrick/Pegg credit was the correct one and that' about as far as we got in the discussion (apart froma  few people saying 'well, he would say that, wouldn't he...'

Thanks for remembering more about what I couldn't remember than what I remembered, Will.  Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2022, 10:04:49 AM »

Thanks for remembering more about what I couldn't remember than what I remembered, Will.  Grin

Jules

I just remembered that I had asked the same question, and looked back, as I couldn't remember if any consensus had ever been reached!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: