TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 07:47:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2022  (Read 64752 times)
Sue & Chris

« Reply #280 on: August 16, 2022, 11:35:33 AM »

It should be remembered that those five elderly gentlemen had also spent four or five days in absolutely  energy-sapping temperatures and can be forgiven for getting slightly testy towards the end of it, Add to that they were in a lose-lose situation in having to drop at least one thing from the set. We can all wish they'd dropped something earlier on (for me, "Moses Waits for the End of the Song"...) but they weren't running out of time earlier on, and hindsight is a smug b******d.

I missed Matty of course, but I also thought WKWTTG was sublime, and they could hardly drop that given that they had Georgia lined up to introduce it. As for Poor Will, they were doing a 50th (+2) anniversary airing so it would have been harsh to leave out a track on a technicality. So, circumstances took over and they made the most of it, and I'm sure they all hugged and made up after it. And we all (most anyway ) went home from it buzzing.

...and Matty and his fling were probably relieved they got to live another year.

Completely agree. I wasn't intending to criticise, just reporting what happened.
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #281 on: August 16, 2022, 11:39:24 AM »

Good point re the poll - everyone probably missed a few things they didn't want to due to the heat.

So, my pleasant surprises/finds... Martyn Joseph, Rosalie Cunningham, Slambovians.
Had to miss due to heat... Edwards, Lakeman, RT
Top acts (excl FC)...Doonicans, Hackett, Shannon, Clannad.
(I was delighted for Clannad as I thought they might be too "soft" for the occasion but i think they stormed it (on, according to their website, their penultimate ever gig)
And finally, top musical moments, Hackett's Supper's Ready and Shannon's tune for a Found Harmonium (which goes into my top 3 ever)

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 12:06:35 PM by StephenB » Logged

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Andy Leonard

« Reply #282 on: August 16, 2022, 11:44:12 AM »

As regards charging for car parking it must be remembered that probably 80% of people bought their tickets for the 2020 festival with the price of the ticket being aligned to the overheads at that time. Now in 2022  the cost of everything costs much more particularly diesel which is probably 40% more expensive than 2 years ago. Think how many generators are at the festival for stage lighting, the sound and all the lighting in the walkways to the camping fields, plus anything else that needs to run on 240 volt power. Therefore I suggest that that charge was being made to cover those extra costs. If the festival ever ran at a loss I’d imagine that that would be the last one. Not that I’ve read anyone actually having a go but I wouldn’t mind betting that I’m not far off the mark.

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #283 on: August 16, 2022, 11:53:32 AM »

Good point re the poll - everyone probably missed a few things they didn't want to due to the heat.

So, my pleasant surprises/finds... Martyn Simpson,  Rosalie Cunningham, Slambovians.
Had to miss due to heat... Edwards, Lakeman, RT
Top acts (excl FC)...Doonicans, Hackett, Shannon, Clannad.
(I was delighted for Clannad as I thought they might be too "soft" for the occasion but i think they stormed it (on, according to their website, their penultimate ever gig)
And finally, top musical moments, Hackett's Supper's Ready and Shannon's tune for a Found Harmonium (which goes into my top 3 ever)

I didn't see Martyn Simpson... saw Martyn Joseph though Smiley

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #284 on: August 16, 2022, 11:59:58 AM »

Seth Lakeman is a great musician and singer, but I haven’t listened to enough to be able to distinguish songs from each other.

He's a lovely bloke but we can't distinguish his songs from each other, either. And we've been listening to him for years.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #285 on: August 16, 2022, 12:08:32 PM »

Anyone know how Gerry C is / was - various mates who were there and comments elsewhere suggest he was struggling a bit.

DW
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #286 on: August 16, 2022, 12:09:14 PM »

Seth Lakeman is a great musician and singer, but I haven’t listened to enough to be able to distinguish songs from each other.

He's a lovely bloke but we can't distinguish his songs from each other, either. And we've been listening to him for years.

And I thought it was just me ...

(Martyn Joseph now fixed, thanks.)

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #287 on: August 16, 2022, 12:22:38 PM »

As regards charging for car parking it must be remembered that probably 80% of people bought their tickets for the 2020 festival with the price of the ticket being aligned to the overheads at that time. Now in 2022  the cost of everything costs much more particularly diesel which is probably 40% more expensive than 2 years ago. Think how many generators are at the festival for stage lighting, the sound and all the lighting in the walkways to the camping fields, plus anything else that needs to run on 240 volt power. Therefore I suggest that that charge was being made to cover those extra costs. If the festival ever ran at a loss I’d imagine that that would be the last one. Not that I’ve read anyone actually having a go but I wouldn’t mind betting that I’m not far off the mark.

Good point. Didn’t begrudge paying,at all,  but felt that if it is to become a regular thing it could be set up for less waste and fewer potential delays.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #288 on: August 16, 2022, 12:24:58 PM »

And I thought it was just me ...

(Martyn Joseph now fixed, thanks.)

Ha ha, looks like I am the Seth equivalent to that little child in ‘The Emperor’s New Clothes’ story. Ideal Cropredy afternoon music, though.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #289 on: August 16, 2022, 02:17:48 PM »

There was a lot of heavy-duty whingeing on Facebook about it. My immediate reaction when I saw the email about charging for parking was exactly the same as yours - costs have gone up and this is a fair way of recouping some of it, but the moaners weren't having it!  Roll Eyes

Some artists have asked for donations if tickets were carried over from 2020, Dean Friedman for one, he reckoned his costs (car hire, hotels, fuel, food) had gone up by around 40%, but he would still only be paid what was agreed in 2019/2020 when the bookings were made.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
iandiddams

« Reply #290 on: August 16, 2022, 02:18:26 PM »

WRT TAW brecoming slower...  my perception is that the likes of FB just take over in effect wrt reaching to the masses.  Im on a couple of other "web based chat groups" like this one 9a rugby referees one and a finiancial based but also general groups) one, and on reflection most if not all of the correspobndents are of an older demographic...  so maybe its this medium that is falling out of fashion/is less encompassed?

I do agree though that the likes of an FB group doent have the ambience of here - and the Fairporters FB group was basically a week of people whinging about just about everything imaginable 9and a couple things that arent!).  which TBH was amusing really but it lacks the hisorical perspective that many of you bring here (thankyou!).

As for the acts - like many here I spent quite a while away form the field - saturday was a write off until about 7pm, though Friday was pretty mkuch all day on the field but I was wiped out by Turin brakes and went back to the van.  Emily Barker was wonderful, and we're off to see her in Trowbridge on BH weekend which is a cheeky bonus :-) , (she starts recording a new album today i see), Martyn Joseph was excellent. id spent most of home service queing at the bar so didnt really "hear them"...  Slobovians were manically wonderful.  trevor Horn was really good - Id not expected much as i seem to recall i want enamoured last time he played (2017?) but it was a stonking set this year ;-).  Clannad doesnt do it for me generally so on a persoanl perspective it is what it is, but Lots of others clearly loved their set, and I suppose i can say ive ticked that box in seeing them live now :-)

didds
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #291 on: August 16, 2022, 02:29:11 PM »

That’s interesting, Didds, as I was just looking at the set list from 2017 and thinking it was pretty much the same ( not necessarily in order) but I haven’t seen an official one from this hear...this was posted by Andy in 2017:

Two Tribes
Video Killed the Radio Star
All the Things She Said
Rubber Bullets
Cry
Since You Been Gone
God Gave Rock 'n' Roll to You
Slave to the Rhythm
Living in the Plastic Age
I'm Not in Love
Kiss from a Rose
The Power of Love
Owner of a Lonely Heart
Relax

On another subject....Any photos, anyone? That’s usually a closed thread for members.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #292 on: August 16, 2022, 02:45:10 PM »

That’s interesting, Didds, as I was just looking at the set list from 2017 and thinking it was pretty much the same ( not necessarily in order) but I haven’t seen an official one from this hear...this was posted by Andy in 2017:

Two Tribes
All the Things She Said
Rubber Bullets
Cry
Since You Been Gone
Slave to the Rhythm
I'm Not in Love
Kiss from a Rose
The Power of Love
Owner of a Lonely Heart
Relax

On another subject....Any photos, anyone? That’s usually a closed thread for members.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/trevor-horn/2022/cropredy-festival-field-cropredy-england-6bb3f61e.html  (somebody needs to tell them about Mr and Mrs Fripp though)

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Sue & Chris

« Reply #293 on: August 16, 2022, 02:48:37 PM »

Two Tribes
All the Things She Said
Rubber Bullets
Cry
Since You Been Gone
Slave to the Rhythm
I'm Not in Love
Kiss from a Rose
The Power of Love
Owner of a Lonely Heart
Relax

This year we also got Life on Mars, Different for Girls, Downtown Train (all with Steve Hogarth, on best behaviour!), plus Are You Gonna Go My Way (with Fripp and Toyah), Everybody Wants to Rule the World, and encores Money for Nothing and Master Blaster. Delete Since You Been Gone and God Gave Rock and Roll, and you've pretty much got the set.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #294 on: August 16, 2022, 03:06:57 PM »

This year we also got Life on Mars, Different for Girls, Downtown Train (all with Steve Hogarth, on best behaviour!), plus Are You Gonna Go My Way (with Fripp and Toyah), Everybody Wants to Rule the World, and encores Money for Nothing and Master Blaster. Delete Since You Been Gone and God Gave Rock and Roll, and you've pretty much got the set.

Link to the setlist above

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
spooley (Simon)

« Reply #295 on: August 16, 2022, 03:37:16 PM »

Done! The guests are also listed in the Note, at the bottom of the setlist.

There's quite a lot of to-ing and fro-ing on setlist.fm as individuals update things, and some of the ancillary info does tend to fall by the wayside, sometimes. A particular problem is that the format only allows for one formally-recognised "with" per song, and "formally recognised" means an artist listed on another website!
iandiddams

« Reply #296 on: August 16, 2022, 03:57:04 PM »

So - Simon - setlist.fm etc is a bitt like a wiki where anybody can add/edit stuff ?

I wondered how this stuff got posted on there!
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #297 on: August 16, 2022, 04:54:52 PM »

What has happened to the reviews? It was always a great pleasure of TAW at Cropredy, lots of reviews of all the acts. Come on, folks - those of us who couldn’t get there are depending on you!

Too bloody hot to post reviews David, sorry as I know they are great fully received by those who can’t make it but is was really hot. I managed a post when it all kicked off on Thursday and then hardly looked at my phone until I got home on Sunday other than to take a pic or too.

One exception, I may have posted about Mr Fripp and his missus.  Grin Grin  
Well, it was that there Robert Fripp, on that there Cropredy stage wasn’t it.

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Wandering Steve

« Reply #298 on: August 16, 2022, 05:32:04 PM »

I heard today whilst at the red lion that unfortunately two festival goers passed away over the weekend.
One through drowning and another who passed away on the field.

My sincere condolences to all concerned and please forgive me if the above is incorrect as I have no verification other than what was passed on to me.

It was however relayed to me by one of the security workers.

A sad end to a great festival if correct.
spooley (Simon)

« Reply #299 on: August 16, 2022, 06:09:06 PM »

So - Simon - setlist.fm etc is a bitt like a wiki where anybody can add/edit stuff ?

Indeed it is - sign up for a (free) account and start editing-away...
https://www.setlist.fm/faq
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: