TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:18:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Autumn Tour 2021  (Read 7804 times)
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« on: August 13, 2021, 11:36:27 AM »

Autumn Tour  https://www.folkradio.co.uk/2021/08/fairport-convention-2021-autumn-tour/

The 'Band' section of the website didn't show anything but I got this sent to my phone.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 11:49:27 AM »

Autumn Tour  https://www.folkradio.co.uk/2021/08/fairport-convention-2021-autumn-tour/

The 'Band' section of the website didn't show anything but I got this sent to my phone.

The dates are all on the website, Malcolm although I don't think the direct link works... https://www.fairportconvention.com/#Fairport%20Convention%20Autumn%202021  Just go to gigs link at top of the page and click on that.  God, they really do need a fit for purpose website upgrade!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 06:43:26 PM »

Anyone been yet? My brother saw them in Maidenhead and was pretty impressed, apparently emotions ran high and Simon had to restart MOTL because he forgot the words.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 08:47:44 AM »

Liverpool Philharmonic Music Rooms last night. It was reported as sold out quite a while ago but a few tickets became available, I assume due to returns. Set list was pretty much the same as the Winter Tour 2020 with Full House and Shuffle and Go being the best represented albums. It was a seated electric gig, rather than acoustic. Simon played some nice electric, particularly on Journeyman's Grace. Gerry was playing various bits of percussion and the drum pad rather than full kit. Good show and a very appreciative audience.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 03:06:19 PM »

Anyone been yet? My brother saw them in Maidenhead and was pretty impressed, apparently emotions ran high and Simon had to restart MOTL because he forgot the words.

I was going to say 'how can you forget the words to a song you've sung thousands of times?' But I remember Roger Daltrey forgetting some of the words to 'Won't Get Fooled Again' a while back. It happens to the best.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 03:24:51 PM »

I was going to say 'how can you forget the words to a song you've sung thousands of times?' But I remember Roger Daltrey forgetting some of the words to 'Won't Get Fooled Again' a while back. It happens to the best.

Give 'em a break.  These guys are in their 70s.  I couldn't do it now.  My memory is shocking...I forget names especially...they just don't stick.  I can remember faces from decades ago, but names?  Not a chance.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 04:26:46 PM »

Bob Weir has been singing Trucking for 50+ years, and I don't think he's ever known the words!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 04:28:59 PM »

Bob Weir has been singing Trucking for 50+ years, and I don't think he's ever known the words!

Ha ha.  Very true.

delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 08:08:39 PM »

Forgot the words….or found it too emotional?

I am so glad they are back on the road, but sad I can’t get to see them.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 11:33:42 PM »

Simon stalled at the Brasenose, too, as did Chris.

"Not the first time, won't be the last", was my prophetic (smiling) comment to Wendy.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 12:13:04 AM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 12:00:06 AM »

Considering the amount of songs they know, and how long they’ve been off the road, I totally understand it.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 09:40:21 AM »

Maybe bring The Naked Highwayman back into the set Grin
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2021, 01:18:06 PM »

I can remember faces from decades ago, but names?  Not a chance.

Same here, faces are stuck in my mind forever but names ? No chance

The Dude abides
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2021, 01:23:20 PM »

I can remember faces from decades ago, but names?  Not a chance.

Same here, faces are stuck in my mind forever but names ? No chance

You have no idea how that pleases me, Jim...  Wink

Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2021, 10:51:29 PM »

It happens. I was rehearsing for a concert last week. Half way through When I was a Lad, I completely forgot what the next verse was. Had to say to the pianist "give us a clue." Luckily I was fine in the concert itself.

Paul

Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2021, 10:47:40 AM »

It happens. I was rehearsing for a concert last week. Half way through When I was a Lad, I completely forgot what the next verse was. Had to say to the pianist "give us a clue." Luckily I was fine in the concert itself.

Paul

I always liked Ric's story of his first Cropredy in the band. In the midst of an instrumental break in Matty Groves, Simon sidled up to him and asked "Have they had the fight yet?".
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2021, 05:47:12 PM »

Last night I was treated to an absolutely wonderful few hours with Fairport in Lowdham Village Hall in Notts.
The room was packed, the stage was alight with joy and amazing musicianship.
So great to see Fairport gigging again after so long.
The set was exciting and varied with a good selection of old songs and new, with instrumentals and everything played perfectly.
Happy! 😁🎼🥁🎸🪕🎻

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2021, 09:44:40 AM »

Last night I was treated to an absolutely wonderful few hours with Fairport in Lowdham Village Hall in Notts.
The room was packed, the stage was alight with joy and amazing musicianship.
So great to see Fairport gigging again after so long.
The set was exciting and varied with a good selection of old songs and new, with instrumentals and everything played perfectly.
Happy! 😁🎼🥁🎸🪕🎻

Jenny that's lovely to hear. Isn't Government advice confusing though. We've recently been to a couple of gigs plus a local bar which were also 'packed' What do you reckon about social distancing advice in theatres especially. The Apex in Bury St.Edmunds asked for masks to be worn whilst walking around especially in the foyer but whilst seated everyone seemed far too close for comfort. I am so hoping our new found freedom to enjoy shows won't be changed as we head in to Autumn and winter. I wore my mask throughout the whole performance but I was one of about 6!

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2021, 09:53:19 AM »

The band apologised when they said that they love coming out at half time and the end to mix with us, but this tour they would keep away to protect their bubble.
They also asked us to only sing in our heads for MOTL.  We were thanked for wearing our masks as most did.
We were all seated very close to each other, no social distancing at all (but that meant full capacity and more money for the band who had had a very low income over the pandemic)

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Wandering Steve

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2021, 07:23:10 PM »

These gigs don’t sound much fun.
No singing
Sat close together
No face masks.

I’m so glad I got to watch and sing at the brase in the fresh air.

Seriously
Indoor winter gigs….

How long before these become a thing of the past??
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: