TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:04:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Journeyman's Grace / Walk Awhile  (Read 4831 times)
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« on: February 08, 2021, 12:45:41 PM »

Just been re-listening to the under-rated Angel Delight LP again. It strikes me that Journeyman's Grace, in particular, should be regarded as a bona fida FC classic, but I wonder if the reason that it isn't is down to the tune's similarity to that for Walk Awhile. Perhaps somebody with more music know-how than me can advise if the tunes really are similar or if it is really just down to them running at a similarly jaunty pace.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 02:17:27 PM »

There's a riff in the middle of Journeyman's Grace that's almost identical to the main riff of Matty Groves.
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 04:52:21 PM »

Just been re-listening to the under-rated Angel Delight LP again. It strikes me that Journeyman's Grace, in particular, should be regarded as a bona fida FC classic, but I wonder if the reason that it isn't is down to the tune's similarity to that for Walk Awhile. Perhaps somebody with more music know-how than me can advise if the tunes really are similar or if it is really just down to them running at a similarly jaunty pace.

The BBC version (with RT) is brilliant.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 05:37:50 PM »

The BBC version (with RT) is brilliant.

But annoyingly they've so far only released the edited version which is missing a verse.  I have the full-length BBC version w/ Richard on a bootleg, but the sound quality is pretty terrible.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 04:31:31 PM »

I suppose there's always going to be a small amount of re-cycling whoever the composers are !  Incidentally, is it agreed that Walk Awhile must be the third most played number by the chaps over the years ? I can't readily think of any other contenders.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 05:01:58 PM »

Incidentally, is it agreed that Walk Awhile must be the third most played number by the chaps over the years ? I can't readily think of any other contenders.

Must be...surely?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 01:23:53 PM »

Incidentally, is it agreed that Walk Awhile must be the third most played number by the chaps over the years ? I can't readily think of any other contenders.

Must be...surely?

If not then the only other ones I can think might be close could be WKWTTG or Crazy Man Michael?

That said my vote is for Walk Awhile.....

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: