TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:18:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard and Linda Box Set  (Read 108694 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #160 on: September 22, 2020, 04:25:56 PM »

I am much fonder of First Light than most people and increasingly so after listening to the new box.

It's a revelation, isn't it!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #161 on: September 22, 2020, 07:48:03 PM »

After a thorough listening, here's my revised R&L album rankings (previous position in brackets).

1 (1) I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight
2 (3) Pour Down Like Silver
3 (2) Shoot Out the Lights
4 (5) First Light
5 (4) Hokey Pokey
6 (6) Sunnyvista

Jules

I don't have the box set but your high placing of Pour Down Like Silver led me to re-listen as it's a album I don't remember as a particular favourite. Muddy, thin sound of the CD aside, it made much more impact than I thought it would. Still going to put SOTL slightly ahead of this one despite the brilliance of a couple of Silver songs, but it's a really close thing.

Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #162 on: September 22, 2020, 08:50:27 PM »

I’ve never understood why First Light has been held in such low regard.
I have had the original album since 1978 and it has always been a favourite.
I also can’t hear too much wrong with the general sound of the album, so maybe that is more noticeable on the Ryko CD version which I am not familiar with.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #163 on: September 22, 2020, 10:21:21 PM »

I don't have the box set but your high placing of Pour Down Like Silver led me to re-listen as it's a album I don't remember as a particular favourite. Muddy, thin sound of the CD aside, it made much more impact than I thought it would. Still going to put SOTL slightly ahead of this one despite the brilliance of a couple of Silver songs, but it's a really close thing.

Then my work here is (half) done!   Wink

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #164 on: September 22, 2020, 10:22:03 PM »

I’ve never understood why First Light has been held in such low regard.
I have had the original album since 1978 and it has always been a favourite.
I also can’t hear too much wrong with the general sound of the album, so maybe that is more noticeable on the Ryko CD version which I am not familiar with.

It sounded thin and brittle.  It sounds great on the new box.

Jules

Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #165 on: September 22, 2020, 11:01:16 PM »

Then my work here is (half) done!   Wink

Jules

Time for the other half of your work! Persuade me that PDLS is more essential than SOTL. One is an album of union, one is an album of separation so a clear divide. PDLS does have Beat the Reteat, Dimming of the Day but then SOTL has so many great songs and playing.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #166 on: September 22, 2020, 11:41:46 PM »

Time for the other half of your work! Persuade me that PDLS is more essential than SOTL. One is an album of union, one is an album of separation so a clear divide. PDLS does have Beat the Reteat, Dimming of the Day but then SOTL has so many great songs and playing.

I prefer PDLS because the melodies are closer to folk melodies, and this often means that I find them more emotional, and that they have a deeper resonance for me.

I adore SOTL (who doesn't?!), but I know that Linda struggled with her vocals, and I agree with her that she often nailed her songs better during the Rafferty sessions.

But ultimately, it's down to a headcount of songs that I would have on a best-of playlist.  PDLS has 6 (Streets of Paradise; For Shame of Doing Wrong; Night Comes In; Jet Plane in a Rocking Chair; Beat the Retreat; Dimming of the Day), versus SOTL with 5 (Walking on a Wire; Man in Need; Shoot Out the Lights; Back Street Slide; Wall of Death).

Jules

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #167 on: September 23, 2020, 08:13:03 AM »

I'm definitely with Jules on this one...

Are we still official statement-less about the box set?  Are they just hoping all the noise stops (and I don't mean on the CDs)?  Maybe it has already.  Were the faults all imaginary?  Should I just get on and buy it?  Questions, questions.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #168 on: September 23, 2020, 11:14:45 AM »

I'm definitely with Jules on this one...

Are we still official statement-less about the box set?  Are they just hoping all the noise stops (and I don't mean on the CDs)?  Maybe it has already.  Were the faults all imaginary?  Should I just get on and buy it?  Questions, questions.

Andy says that Universal are definitely dealing with it and will put it right, though they are being somewhat slow to say anything officially. The noise hasn't stopped. Check out Steve Hoffman or Amazon. It is about a 72 percent error rate. Current theory is disc warping is to blame. I haven't checked whether my discs are warped yet but many people are also reporting heavy disc scarring and I certainly have some of that.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #169 on: September 23, 2020, 03:42:55 PM »

I might be a lone voice, but I’m really enjoying Sunnyvista. The songs have more bite and energy than First Light, and are just catchier than Pour Down Like Silver (although Night Comes In is peerless). It might be because I haven’t heard it in years, whereas I’m very familiar with the others.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #170 on: September 23, 2020, 07:54:53 PM »

Update from Andy

"Hi all, Universal have responded to the issues some of you have been having with ripping and playback, follow the instructions in the announcement here. https://store.udiscovermusic.com/*/Pre-Order/Hard-Luck-Stories-1972-1982-8CD-Box-Set-Exclusive-Lithograph/6LRY0JG7000"

I have just emailed to request replacement discs as advised.

Edit: Not sure why the link won't copy properly. I suggest you cut and paste everything from https to 000 into your browser to find the site.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #171 on: September 23, 2020, 08:23:52 PM »

Update from Andy

"Hi all, Universal have responded to the issues some of you have been having with ripping and playback, follow the instructions in the announcement here. https://store.udiscovermusic.com/*/Pre-Order/Hard-Luck-Stories-1972-1982-8CD-Box-Set-Exclusive-Lithograph/6LRY0JG7000"

Edit: Not sure why the link won't copy properly. I suggest you cut and paste everything from https to 000 into your browser to find the site.

Call me suspicious, but I reckon it will miraculously be re-pressed once everyone has rushed out and purchased the dodgy discs.  I've still got my copy reserved so I'll grab it now, but I'm a bit annoyed to have to deal with the hassle tbh....as always it puts the onus on the buyer when they know full well there is actually a problem from their end.  Anyway, I'm going to try and focus on the music from here on in.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #172 on: September 23, 2020, 08:44:11 PM »

Update from Andy

Call me suspicious, but I reckon it will miraculously be re-pressed once everyone has rushed out and purchased the dodgy discs.  I've still got my copy reserved so I'll grab it now, but I'm a bit annoyed to have to deal with the hassle tbh....as always it puts the onus on the buyer when they know full well there is actually a problem from their end.  Anyway, I'm going to try and focus on the music from here on in.

I'm not sure I follow you David. Basically what Universal have said to everyone who has bought the box is, email them and they will send replacement discs. I'm not sure what more they could have done?
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #173 on: September 24, 2020, 08:57:46 AM »

Thanks fo that Al
I have sent an email as instructed

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #174 on: September 24, 2020, 09:58:12 AM »

Update from Andy

Excellent news - thanks Gub!

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #175 on: September 24, 2020, 01:37:24 PM »

I'm not sure I follow you David. Basically what Universal have said to everyone who has bought the box is, email them and they will send replacement discs. I'm not sure what more they could have done?

They could have withdrawn all unsold stock (immediately they became aware of the problem), much of which they know to be faulty. As always, the onus is therefore placed on the purchaser and the burden removed from those responsible for the failing.

peter m

« Reply #176 on: September 24, 2020, 03:01:50 PM »

I might be a lone voice, but I’m really enjoying Sunnyvista. The songs have more bite and energy than First Light, and are just catchier than Pour Down Like Silver (although Night Comes In is peerless). It might be because I haven’t heard it in years, whereas I’m very familiar with the others.

No you're not alone. It's not a great record, some weak tracks and no great ones, but it's a good listen and Andy Batt's efforts are a massive upgrade on my old Carthage tape. Borrowed Time and You're Gonna Need Somebody are early examples of a seam which Richard would return to mine time after time.

I guess if you're feeling contemplative, there's nothing on Sunnyvista to rival First Light and Strange Affair, but side two of that album does go on a bit.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 03:20:30 PM by peter m » Logged
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #177 on: September 24, 2020, 04:31:53 PM »

Borrowed Time and You're Gonna Need Somebody are early examples of a seam which Richard would return to mine time after time.

And not coincidentally, they're easily the best two songs on the record.

Jules

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #178 on: September 24, 2020, 08:58:26 PM »

This is a really interesting piece from an insider. https://thebluemoment.com/2020/09/22/those-hard-luck-stories/

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #179 on: September 24, 2020, 10:53:40 PM »

This is a really interesting piece from an insider. https://thebluemoment.com/2020/09/22/those-hard-luck-stories/

He says many of these same things in Heylin's book,  Seems like a stand-up guy.

Jules

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: