TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:38:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shuffle and Go  (Read 55264 times)
paul bond 59

Loc: Lincolnshire

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2020, 06:09:59 PM »

I know that we have been down this road before, usually whenever Fairport put out a new record but their problem is, more than any other act I can think of, that they are not one band. They are a series of different bands, each with their own distinct flavour so the Fairport of the debut album sounds nothing like the Fairport of Liege & Leif, which sounds nothing like Nine, which sounds nothing like Gladys Leap, which sounds nothing like Jewel In The Crown which sounds nothing like anything thereafter.

People who first came to the current line up tend to love them. People who came to them before 1979 tend to think the new music is a fraudulent use of the name and a betrayal of the band's legacy. Some people who arrived with Liege & Leif heavily disliked Nine. All the band can do is plough their own furrow and the audience is free to pick and choose the eras that appeal to them with so much diversity of material available. At this point it is pointless to expect another Full House or to be disappointed by not getting one. The sort of music they make now is not solely about capability, it is largely a choice on the part of the band.

I haven't heard the new album yet. I expect to like bits of it and really dislike other bits in the same way as I have for the last couple of studio albums (not including 50:50@50 which was pretty much a disaster). In a career spanning Fairport playlist I shall enjoy listening to the bits I like alongside other Fairport songs but as an album it is unlikely to be amongst those I will reach for regularly and I wouldn't expect it to be at this point in their career.

well put, S&G has an elegiac quality to it, unlike most of their output, that's hard to shake off. End of the pier might sum it up better, perhaps change is afoot?
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2020, 06:27:22 PM »

I haven't heard the new album yet. I expect to like bits of it and really dislike other bits in the same way as I have for the last couple of studio albums (not including 50:50@50 which was pretty much a disaster). In a career spanning Fairport playlist I shall enjoy listening to the bits I like alongside other Fairport songs but as an album it is unlikely to be amongst those I will reach for regularly and I wouldn't expect it to be at this point in their career.

A good point, but it is at least possible to play a blinder in late career. A case in point is The Who, whose recent album is garnering praise from all quarters. Daltrey calls it the best since 1973, and a lot of people seem to agree (I don't quite, but after repeated listens I think it's the best since 1975, so not far off).

As for Shuffle and Go, I haven't listened to it a great deal yet. The odd few tracks I really like, but in the main it doesn't really get me excited. I'm afraid, in particular, it's a resounding thumbs-down to A Thousand Bars from me. All just personal taste innit, but for me it seems to go on for about a thousand bars too long.
paul bond 59

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2020, 06:52:17 PM »

A good point, but it is at least possible to play a blinder in late career. A case in point is The Who, whose recent album is garnering praise from all quarters. Daltrey calls it the best since 1973, and a lot of people seem to agree (I don't quite, but after repeated listens I think it's the best since 1975, so not far off).

As for Shuffle and Go, I haven't listened to it a great deal yet. The odd few tracks I really like, but in the main it doesn't really get me excited. I'm afraid, in particular, it's a resounding thumbs-down to A Thousand Bars from me. All just personal taste innit, but for me it seems to go on for about a thousand bars too long.

I have the new Who album, it was being talked up in the press as being their best since Quadrophenia, which is possibly my favourite Who album. As for S&G, I'll maintain it does have a quite melancholy feel and is possibly their best in a while, but that might just be because I'm flogging it to death trying to find some redemption in there?  You might have a point about 1,000 Bars, After all,  didn't The Stylistics manage it in 16 (Bars)?  
Peter H-K

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2020, 07:06:28 PM »

As for S&G, I'll maintain it does have a quite melancholy feel and is possibly their best in a while, but that might just be because I'm flogging it to death trying to find some redemption in there?  You might have a point about 1,000 Bars, After all,  didn't The Stylistics manage it in 16 (Bars)?  

The odd thing is that I have tended to take to recentish Fairport albums better than I've taken to this so far. I thought Myths and Heroes had some blinders on it, for instance. And I know it's going back a while now, but I really liked most of Festival Bell, too.
paul bond 59

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2020, 07:12:38 PM »

As for S&G, I'll maintain it does have a quite melancholy feel and is possibly their best in a while, but that might just be because I'm flogging it to death trying to find some redemption in there?  You might have a point about 1,000 Bars, After all,  didn't The Stylistics manage it in 16 (Bars)?  

The odd thing is that I have tended to take to recentish Fairport albums better than I've taken to this so far. I thought Myths and Heroes had some blinders on it, for instance. And I know it's going back a while now, but I really liked most of Festival Bell, too.

Yes, some left-field stuff on Myths, well left - field as FC get, Weightless / Gravity Reel and Man In The Water, Jonah's Oak a standout. Festival Bell is probably as consistent as this line up's got, post Over The Next Hill, which is a personal fave bar one track.
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2020, 08:01:52 PM »

We all hear differently, IMO Next Hill / Sense of Occasion period was a real low-point, with Festival Bell / Myths & Heroes a clear improvement. So I'll have to see about buying S & G ...one day.  And you don't have to go as far away as The Who for a late-period classic - most of us agree that Steeleye's Wintersmith & Dodgy Bastards were just that (haven't heard Est'd '69 yet, although opinion seems not to be so enthusiastic).
Greg E

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2020, 08:28:50 AM »

We all hear differently, IMO Next Hill / Sense of Occasion period was a real low-point, with Festival Bell / Myths & Heroes a clear improvement. So I'll have to see about buying S & G ...one day.  And you don't have to go as far away as The Who for a late-period classic - most of us agree that Steeleye's Wintersmith & Dodgy Bastards were just that (haven't heard Est'd '69 yet, although opinion seems not to be so enthusiastic).

If you did like Dodgy Bastards then you 'should' like EST'd 1969 just the same - unless Rick Kemps influence was a big draw for the two you mention. EST'd only suffers from being a little too short and a little rushed for getting ready for the tour. But to my mind there are a couple of tracks tracks better than anything on Dodgy Bastards , but the overall experience is probably not as good as the previous two.
But it does have Ian Anderson on flute on one track so that's always going to be good!

I'm looking forward to hearing to hearing S&G once its streamed. Myths and Heroes has been my favourite from the last 20 years so judging by comments I am not overly optimistic for this one!
LarWes

Loc: Valbo, Sweden

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2020, 09:30:54 AM »

S&G arrived yesterday and after giving it a pair of spins I must say it's quite a strong album. Not as good as M&H, their strongest album since the early 70s IMHO (as are all my comments), but there are some good stuff here. And, as with most albums, things that don't do much for me  but nothing that you just want to skip (like The Crowd f o). "Don't Reveal My Name" is a strong opener  and "Cider Rain" is like a jingle jangly hit from the 60s. "Moses Waits", "The Byfield Steeplechase", "Moondust and Solitude" and "Jolly Springtime" are other strong tracks. Maybe not great but solid good. The title track is one of the weakest, not my kind of song at all. The closing instrumental "Precious Time" most be one of Ric's finest. Beautiful playing, just listen to Simon's guitar. In my ranking it comes between M&H and "The Festival Bell" and above the other albums from the "Chris Leslie-era".
I have seen the word "bland" mentioned in a couple of posts. I can't see how the music here is more so than on albums like "Rosie", "RFTM", "R&G" or "The Five Seasons". I think that we shall cherish the fact that the band is still creating new music after so many years, that they are not content to just playing music from their past.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2020, 10:29:16 AM »

Still waiting for my 'pre-ordered' copy to arrive and wondering how long to leave it before I contact the office!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
paul bond 59

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2020, 07:48:12 PM »

If you did like Dodgy Bastards then you 'should' like EST'd 1969 just the same - unless Rick Kemps influence was a big draw for the two you mention. EST'd only suffers from being a little too short and a little rushed for getting ready for the tour. But to my mind there are a couple of tracks tracks better than anything on Dodgy Bastards , but the overall experience is probably not as good as the previous two.
But it does have Ian Anderson on flute on one track so that's always going to be good!

I'm looking forward to hearing to hearing S&G once its streamed. Myths and Heroes has been my favourite from the last 20 years so judging by comments I am not overly optimistic for this one!

Dodgy Bastards & Eat 1969 are excellent albums.
S&G is a grower, there are some 'lifts' and I'd say eight or so out of 13 tracks isn't bad for FC these days.

DawnG

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2020, 08:21:43 PM »

Hi Will
I'd contact them ASAP we've had ours about a week. Our post is a bit erratic and we've had a few cd's going awol
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2020, 10:23:25 PM »

The new Who album did not get much praise from this quarter, or part thereof, it is bobbins, but marginally better than the awful Endless Wire

The Dude abides
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2020, 07:54:37 AM »

The new Who album did not get much praise from this quarter, or part thereof, it is bobbins, but marginally better than the awful Endless Wire

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2020, 09:01:00 AM »

This is probably an aside and in the wrong thread but I have always seen talk awhile as having a chat in the pub so.......
I subscribe to RnR mag and every edition comes with a cd, entitled UN-Herd and it does exactly what it says on the tin.....introduce you to stuff you may have never heard of. The last edition is getting daily repeat plays.
I am also lucky enough o play at folk clubs, clubs, festivals etc etc and I see such an array of new unheard talent.
Fairports ‘turned me on’ to Folk Rock back in 69 ( Sailors Life) and now they are firmly in the gentle folkpop milieu .
So let’s just put Shuffle and Go, in with all the stuff that is out there and weigh it against that.
I am firmly of the school , ‘ you like it you like it........’
If you don’t know R n R , ( which was R2 which was Rock n Reel) give it a go. The editor has kept it going for years in face of the usual economic problems and people from this parish write for it)
Mods if this is in wrong place please move .......
paul bond 59

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2020, 09:24:49 AM »

I heard a Ric Sanders radio interview yesterday evening wherein he told the interviewer that 10/13 songs from S&G will be played in this year's Wintour set along with the lions share of Full House which will have reached its golden anniversary.
I can't guess which 10 S&G tracks will make the live set or which three will remain on the shelf, hopefully, the truly embarrassing Jolly Springtime will be one of the three that remains shelfbound!  
Peter H-K

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2020, 09:34:01 AM »

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

I'm with David here. It takes a lot of digesting, but digestion achieved, it's revealed as a classic. Anyway, sorry, this is one for The Who forum really: my fault we went of topic there!
paul bond 59

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2020, 10:03:34 AM »

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

I'm with David here. It takes a lot of digesting, but digestion achieved, it's revealed as a classic. Anyway, sorry, this is one for The Who forum really: my fault we went of topic there!

There is a Fairport Connection, in that Sandy was friends with Townsend and Moon and sung on the orchestral version of the album, so. erm, not so off-topic in a roundabout way!  Smiley
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2020, 10:06:01 AM »

Hi Will
I'd contact them ASAP we've had ours about a week. Our post is a bit erratic and we've had a few cd's going awol

Thanks.  I decided to do that yesterday evening, so we'll see if I get a response soon (they are usually very good).

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
paul bond 59

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2020, 10:08:19 AM »

Hi Will

Thanks.  I decided to do that yesterday evening, so we'll see if I get a response soon (they are usually very good).

Mine arrived a day, two at the latest after the Fairport official site announced that discs were being posted out, maybe they're sending the discs out in batches?
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2020, 11:56:48 AM »

I'm not averse to asking potentially silly questions, so here we go.  I admit I only have the album files as mp3s, not the full thing with lyrics, presumably.

So, regarding the title track.
What is it - "craving / playing / ? rock & roll on the old banjo..."

And what exactly does the phrase "shuffle and go" actually mean?

I thank you.

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: