TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:22:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Live At the BBC vs Heyday  (Read 4563 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« on: October 08, 2019, 11:45:39 AM »

Quick question which I hope somebody knows the answer to.

I have the original Heyday CD on Ryko from the early 90s and also the Live at the BBC set. I know there is also an expanded version of Heyday on Island. Does anyone know if there is anything on the latter that is not on the Live At The BBC set (i.e. different versions of the songs from alternative sessions). The expanded version of Heyday is currently under a fiver on Amazon but I'm not sure whether I already have all of the content.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 12:58:41 PM »

Not as far as I can make out. I think everything that's on the expanded Heyday is also on the BBC Box.

There are a few discrepancies in the dates between the two sets of sleeve notes. e.g. Heyday lists Reno, Nevada was recorded December 27th '68 and broadcast January 10th '69 while the BBC Box dates it to January 6th. None of these discrepancies are too far out for them to conceivably be different sessions (though I did get a little confused over differences in Fotheringay until I recalled there are two versions of this on the Box!)

I would've thought you would be enough of a completists to get it anyway, Gub! You would at least get a few pages of new waffle from Ashley in the sleeve.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 01:34:26 PM »

Not as far as I can make out. I think everything that's on the expanded Heyday is also on the BBC Box.

There are a few discrepancies in the dates between the two sets of sleeve notes. e.g. Heyday lists Reno, Nevada was recorded December 27th '68 and broadcast January 10th '69 while the BBC Box dates it to January 6th. None of these discrepancies are too far out for them to conceivably be different sessions (though I did get a little confused over differences in Fotheringay until I recalled there are two versions of this on the Box!)

I would've thought you would be enough of a completists to get it anyway, Gub! You would at least get a few pages of new waffle from Ashley in the sleeve.

Cheers

Nick

Thanks Nick. It is quite an appealing collection in its own right.  Grin I think my priority would have to be the Sandy Denny BBC set though as I seem to have missed that altogether.

I found some info on the Mainly Norfolk site that seems to support your view that everything on Heyday is indeed on the box.
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 09:06:06 AM »

Cheers

Nick

Thanks Nick. It is quite an appealing collection in its own right.  Grin I think my priority would have to be the Sandy Denny BBC set though as I seem to have missed that altogether.

I found some info on the Mainly Norfolk site that seems to support your view that everything on Heyday is indeed on the box.

The version of Reno, Nevada on the Heyday Hannibal LP and Heyday Rykodisc CD is different to the Heyday Island CD and Live BBC Box. Arrangement is exactly the same, but it's a different session.
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 03:54:31 PM »

Leaving aside the intricacies of which is better  Undecided (I've never heard Live at BBC), Heyday must be round about my 4th or 5th favourite FC album overall - great to hear Sandy & Ian on more than the "Holidays" LP alone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: