TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:22:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard Thompson birthday bash  (Read 41161 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2019, 01:15:33 PM »

Gilmour played?  Holy moly.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2019, 01:18:02 PM »

Jules

Yes, he was on the guest list right from the start. Bizarrely I have read comments elsewhere this morning from people who went specifically to see him and think he "stole the show".
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2019, 01:25:03 PM »

Trash - total codswallop. IMHO. His voice is pretty much shot, although he traded guitar with RT pretty well still.

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2019, 01:28:33 PM »

Meanwhile - Blair with Derek....

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2019, 01:34:29 PM »

Jules

Oddly, this is what I posted on my FB page when I saw a rehearsal pic: David Gilmour and Richard Thompson together ? Holy Sh...moley !

Well I never did..
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2019, 01:37:59 PM »

His voice is pretty much shot, .

Theres a lot that you could say that about from that era though. Stephen Stills , Peter Green, Bob Dylan, Kate Bush to name a few. Its called getting old.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2019, 01:47:33 PM »

Indeed! But some are blind/deaf to the changes....

Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2019, 01:55:16 PM »

Fantastic night! I loved Eliza Carthy singing The Great Valerio unaccompanied, and it was great seeing Loudon and Richard together again (both still have fantastic singing voices).  I never thought I’d hear peaches live, and nearly fell off my chair when Bob Mould launched into If I can’t change your mind (one of my all time faves).
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2019, 02:26:01 PM »

Peaches did it for me too, sheer exuberance!
Wandering Steve

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2019, 02:58:36 PM »

Trash - total codswallop. IMHO. His voice is pretty much shot, although he traded guitar with RT pretty well still.

Careful
It’s not allowed to express opinions on people’s voices deteriating on this forum without others getting all shirty and defensive  Roll Eyes
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2019, 03:13:02 PM »

...and it was really good to see Danny Thompson playing on numerous numbers...
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2019, 03:17:29 PM »

oh, wasn't it - a highlight when he initially snuck on unnannounced. Finds it hard to manoevre his Victoria, unfortunately.

Hoping he's on the Transatlantic Sessions tour in January.

delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2019, 03:24:02 PM »

It all sounds fantastic. I’d have loved it

(Wandering Steve.....the comment about voice quality was prefaced with IMHO, not presented as ‘fact’, and it was polite which is why people didn’t react, I suspect)

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Wandering Steve

« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2019, 03:41:49 PM »

It all sounds fantastic. I’d have loved it

(Wandering Steve.....the comment about voice quality was prefaced with IMHO, not presented as ‘fact’, and it was polite which is why people didn’t react, I suspect)

IMHO Richard Thompson’s voice has survived much better than other members of FC and long may it do so. Shocked
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2019, 03:44:12 PM »

where's the 'like' button when you need one? completely agree. So has Simon Nicol's survived (and Ralph McT's for that matter)

dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2019, 04:10:01 PM »

Peaches did it for me too, sheer exuberance!

Totally agree.  My favourite highlights (among many) were the Stranglers’ segment at the beginning and a gorgeous version of ‘The Grey Funnel Line’ sung by Maddy, Teddy, and Richard.  That’s a vocal combination I would like to hear more of.

There may be quite a bit more footage to come online.  At times there were so many lit-up phones that it was almost like getting a preview of Xmas fairy lights.  An interesting contrast to RT’s normal gigs, where he is very strict about banning all forms of filming/recording.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2019, 04:43:00 PM »

If they're not already out there, audience recordings are definitely coming.  But I really do hope it gets a full release (highly unlikely, I'd have thought, but what do I know) and I can contribute to the pension fund in absentia.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Fegg

« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2019, 05:37:20 PM »

Nobody 'stole the show'. Everyone, doubtlessly, had their favourites. However, the nature of the show was generally that a leading guest would sing/play an RT tune, then RT would support them on one of theirs. It worked very well and the mix of styles meant there was something for everyone.

David Gilmour's voice is not 'pretty much shot', although he did initially appear to struggle with a high note in Dimming of the Day. There is enough on YouTube for an objective assessment.

It was a credit to all concerned that there were no egos on display, just a lot of respect all round and immense enjoyment.

A wonderful concert and very special occasion.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2019, 05:51:25 PM »

Nobody 'stole the show'. Everyone, doubtlessly, had their favourites. However, the nature of the show was generally that a leading guest would sing/play an RT tune, then RT would support them on one of theirs. It worked very well and the mix of styles meant there was something for everyone.

David Gilmour's voice is not 'pretty much shot', although he did initially appear to struggle with a high note in Dimming of the Day. There is enough on YouTube for an objective assessment.

It was a credit to all concerned that there were no egos on display, just a lot of respect all round and immense enjoyment.

I am sure that is true. The point was not than anybody actually did steal the show but that there seems, from the evidence of other forums, to have been a very small coterie of Floyd/Gilmour fans who attended only because of his presence and who were unable to see beyond him. It seems very peculiar to me that anyone would spend that kind of money to attend a show celebrating a particular artist purely to witness the two songs performed by one of the guests.
Wandering Steve

« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2019, 06:32:48 PM »

I am sure that is true. The point was not than anybody actually did steal the show but that there seems, from the evidence of other forums, to have been a very small coterie of Floyd/Gilmour fans who attended only because of his presence and who were unable to see beyond him. It seems very peculiar to me that anyone would spend that kind of money to attend a show celebrating a particular artist purely to witness the two songs performed by one of the guests.

If that’s the case FC should be pulling out all the stops to get DG to play at cropredy
That would put a few on the gate so to speak
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: