TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:53:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cassettes  (Read 127590 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #160 on: February 17, 2020, 03:01:52 PM »

I have been trying to build up a complete collection of all of the officially released episodes of Just A Minute (a task begun long before the recent passing of Nicholas Parsons). Oddly, even though these did not start being issued until 1992, some of them do not seem to have ever been released on CD. There is not a lot of rhyme or reason to it as Volume 2 had a CD release but Volumes 3 - 5 only appear to be available on cassette.

Anyway, I have recently been filling gaps in my collection with the cassette versions of five missing releases, having tracked down a copy of Volume 1 which seems to be incredibly rare. Most of these have been pretty cheap. A couple much less so but they have all played beautifully.  Smiley

And while we are on the subject, somewhere in my house I have a cassette copy of the album Swimmer by The Big Dish but I cannot find it anywhere. I wish I could as it now seems very expensive to get hold of on CD and it is a great album.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #161 on: February 17, 2020, 03:36:40 PM »

I have been trying to build up a complete collection of all of the officially released episodes of Just A Minute (a task begun long before the recent passing of Nicholas Parsons). Oddly, even though these did not start being issued until 1992, some of them do not seem to have ever been released on CD. There is not a lot of rhyme or reason to it as Volume 2 had a CD release but Volumes 3 - 5 only appear to be available on cassette.

Anyway, I have recently been filling gaps in my collection with the cassette versions of five missing releases, having tracked down a copy of Volume 1 which seems to be incredibly rare. Most of these have been pretty cheap. A couple much less so but they have all played beautifully.  Smiley

And while we are on the subject, somewhere in my house I have a cassette copy of the album Swimmer by The Big Dish but I cannot find it anywhere. I wish I could as it now seems very expensive to get hold of on CD and it is a great album.

You could always download them and put them on tape yourself...  Wink http://www.bennewsam.co.uk/JAM.html

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #162 on: February 17, 2020, 03:52:34 PM »

You could always download them and put them on tape yourself...  Wink http://www.bennewsam.co.uk/JAM.html

Yes, I am aware of that site and do listen to recordings from it from time to time but I guess this is a collecting thing. I wanted to own copies of all of the actual releases. I am surprised that this and the JAMMER site have not been closed down. The latter operates and internet radio stream of episodes. There must surely be copyright issues?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #163 on: February 19, 2020, 06:51:57 PM »

Anybody got an opinion on the authenticity of these (don't worry, I'm not thinking of buying them)?  I'm fairly convinced they're not what they say they are, but I'd be interested to know what others think.... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254516371405?ul_noapp=true

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #164 on: February 19, 2020, 11:25:21 PM »

Anybody got an opinion on the authenticity of these (don't worry, I'm not thinking of buying them)?  I'm fairly convinced they're not what they say they are, but I'd be interested to know what others think.... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254516371405?ul_noapp=true

They look wholly legit. We used to get these sorts of things from friendly reps all the time, although why anyone would want some thirty year-old cassettes of widely available albums for fifty quid is another matter!

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #165 on: February 20, 2020, 07:57:23 AM »

They look wholly legit. We used to get these sorts of things from friendly reps all the time, although why anyone would want some thirty year-old cassettes of widely available albums for fifty quid is another matter!

Fair enough.  The answer to your question is that they're rare, innit. Otherwise why would anyone buy promos of any kind, white labels, acetates etc etc?  Ultimately, this is no different.  It ain't to play, is it?  Wink Grin

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #166 on: February 20, 2020, 09:22:08 AM »

I had the pleasure of recording at Abbey Road once, and our tape was presented to us in the exact same style as the one pictured there with the zebra crossing on.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #167 on: February 20, 2020, 09:36:38 AM »

Fair enough.  The answer to your question is that they're rare, innit. Otherwise why would anyone buy promos of any kind, white labels, acetates etc etc?  Ultimately, this is no different.  It ain't to play, is it?  Wink Grin

Well, quite. But when you can get a vinyl test pressing of Full House for under a tenner, fifty of your English pounds for something run off while a lab assistant made a cup of tea and then ran some cardboard through a printer seems...outre.

No offence to anyone who duplicated cassettes for a living at one point, by the way.  Wink

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #168 on: February 20, 2020, 10:31:51 AM »

No offence to anyone who duplicated cassettes for a living at one point, by the way.  Wink

Lol  Grin

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #169 on: February 20, 2020, 10:32:33 AM »

I had the pleasure of recording at Abbey Road once, and our tape was presented to us in the exact same style as the one pictured there with the zebra crossing on.

Did I know this?  If I did, I've forgotten...tell me again, Jules

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #170 on: February 20, 2020, 05:44:09 PM »

Ebay is spamming me with ads for cassettes now!  Roll Eyes

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #171 on: February 20, 2020, 05:49:15 PM »

Ebay is spamming me with ads for cassettes now!  Roll Eyes

Lol

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #172 on: February 21, 2020, 09:52:08 AM »

Did I know this?  If I did, I've forgotten...tell me again, Jules

I was in a band and the drummer knew a lad who was starting as a producer-in-training at Abbey Road.  He was the green light to get some experience, so we recorded there for free.  Just two songs, but we used studios 2 and 3.  Number 2 hadn't changed from the old photographs, but 3 had been modernised.

Anyway the whole experience was a huge thrill.  One of my life's highlights, for sure.

The trainee producer was Guy Massey.  He went on to work on some big name projects, including remastering The Beatles.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #173 on: March 23, 2020, 08:51:33 AM »

Oh, happy happy days...old stock of Feeding and Yes Sir found in Dial House  Smiley

https://crass.bandcamp.com/album/yes-sir-i-will

https://crass.bandcamp.com/album/the-feeding-of-the-5000

Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #174 on: April 05, 2020, 11:51:04 AM »

No idea why I woke up thinking of phrases associated with using cassettes. E.g.

I haven’t used that one for ages so make sure you fast forward and rewind it first, to tighten it up!

Can I borrow your pencil? No- not the round one!

It’s spewing out all over the place-what’s it doing to the innards?

Thanks Mum! I was just taping the top 40!

Yes, it got cut off! But I started taping it again, on side B.

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #175 on: April 05, 2020, 11:08:47 PM »

HA HA whenever I hear Summer In The City now I always expect to hear mum's voice halfway through. Grin Mind you that was reel to reel.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #176 on: April 13, 2020, 12:39:13 AM »

HA HA whenever I hear Summer In The City now I always expect to hear mum's voice halfway through. Grin Mind you that was reel to reel.

We had a cuckoo clock in the living room that used to go off once on the half hour. Top of the Pops started at 7.25 so the second song of the night always featured “Cuckoo” followed by frantic whispering “you were supposed to stop it!” “No, you were!” etc etc. My favorite was David Essex “Hold me close, don’t let me go, cuckoo”  Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Wales

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #177 on: April 13, 2020, 02:55:32 AM »

Oh, yes, Brij - and there used to be a song called Pick up the Pieces. I was recording Pick of the Pops (I think) in the dining room, and in the background you can hear someone noisily washing the dishes in the kitchen!

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #178 on: April 13, 2020, 09:34:13 AM »

Cassettes, word of mouth, and a bit of luck, were the key in the door to getting pub gigs in the 1980s/90s...I still have a few cassettes (probably 2nd/3rd generation copies) recorded at rehearsals on various cheap devices, and later a Tascam Porta One which really upped the game... Wink

I actually really miss those times and the innocent DIY nature of it all...Nowadays I'm guessing the process would involve some sort of video blog uploaded to Bookface/Instagraph... Undecided Undecided

Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #179 on: April 13, 2020, 11:36:15 AM »

Cassettes, word of mouth, and a bit of luck, were the key in the door to getting pub gigs in the 1980s/90s...I still have a few cassettes (probably 2nd/3rd generation copies) recorded at rehearsals on various cheap devices, and later a Tascam Porta One which really upped the game... Wink

I actually really miss those times and the innocent DIY nature of it all...Nowadays I'm guessing the process would involve some sort of video blog uploaded to Bookface/Instagraph... Undecided Undecided

Absolutely. “We’re trying to get a gig”
“Do you have a YouTube clip we could look at?”
“Filmed at a gig?”
“Yes”
“Well, we’re trying to get a gig...”
[repeat to close]

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: