TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:59:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1969 Another year, another anniversary  (Read 12278 times)
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« on: January 11, 2019, 09:11:03 AM »

This year is 50 years since the release of the trio of classic Fairport LPs "(Holidays" in January, "Unhalfbricking" in July & "Liege & Lief" in December), also 10 years since Joe put on the fabulous Barbican gig celebrating 40 years.

I'm just wondering whether there are any plans to mark this year in a similar manner? If not should there be & what form should/might they take?  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 09:23:59 AM »

This year is 50 years since the release of the trio of classic Fairport LPs "(Holidays" in January, "Unhalfbricking" in July & "Liege & Lief" in December), also 10 years since Joe put on the fabulous Barbican gig celebrating 40 years.

I'm just wondering whether there are any plans to mark this year in a similar manner? If not should there be & what form should/might they take?  Smiley

That was such a truly brilliant gig.  The penultimate time I saw the band.  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 10:49:31 AM »

That was such a truly brilliant gig.  The penultimate time I saw the band.  

Now that was a night ! A re-enactment would be good : Barbican, Festival Hall or Albert Hall ?

Maybe a special "3 album" tour where all 3 albums are played in their entirety - by the current FC with special guests or a gathering of willing participants ?
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 10:54:03 AM »

Sounds like a wonderful idea.  But I can't help feeling that if nothing has been said yet, it's not likely to be happening.  There would surely be a 'heads up' message somewhere.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 11:31:32 AM »

Were they all recorded in that year? If so that's some going.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 12:05:20 PM »

Meet on the Ledge being 50 this year - and RT made a thing of it on his recent tour.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 03:33:22 PM »

WWDOOH must have started at the end of '68?  The other two certainly were.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 03:43:43 PM »

Yes, but not unusual for the 60s.  Artists were expected to knock out albums in quick succession.  It was a hothouse environment.  It's why bands grew in leaps and bounds in such a short space of time.  Of course it actually came out of music industry cynicism - get as much product out of them while they're hot, before the kids move onto the next thing.  This might not have been quite so true with a band like Fairport, but releasing three albums in 1969 shows that they were as affected by the times they lived and worked in any anyone.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 02:43:57 AM »

Plus the 1979 "Farewell, Farewell" performance 10 years later...seems like they won't be stuck for an anniversary theme..

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 09:51:40 AM »

Not putting it in the same league as those already mentioned, but it's a sobering thought that it is now 20 years since 'The Wood and the Wire' was released. Anyone feeling just a little older?

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 10:03:46 AM »

I know it's accepted wisdom that all three were released in '69 but at the risk of debunking that myth there's strong evidence that WWDOOH was actually released at the tail-end of '68, on 13th December. The detective work is courtesy of Richard Morton Jack, who I'm sure quite a few on TAW will know or know of through his Flashback magazine, Galactic Ramble book and Sunbeam label. Here's a link to some discussion on the Flashback Facebook page, which has a trade press ad for the album with release date shown and several supporting ads also from December.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2254747694595998&set=gm.1940605092699930&type=3&theater&ifg=1
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 10:06:50 AM »

I know it's accepted wisdom that all three were released in '69 but at the risk of debunking that myth there's strong evidence that WWDOOH was actually released at the tail-end of '68, on 13th December. The detective work is courtesy of Richard Morton Jack, who I'm sure quite a few on TAW will know or know of through his Flashback magazine, Galactic Ramble book and Sunbeam label. Here's a link to some discussion on the Flashback Facebook page, which has a trade press ad for the album with release date shown and several supporting ads also from December.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2254747694595998&set=gm.1940605092699930&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Well done, Col.  I'd forgotten that discussion (it doesn't take long). It's certainly almost certain it was at least recorded in '68.  You gone for a copy of GR?

Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 10:10:18 AM »

Well done, Col.  I'd forgotten that discussion (it doesn't take long). It's certainly almost certain it was at least recorded in '68.  You gone for a copy of GR?

I'm still trying to justify the cost tbh, but would love a copy.

Just checked to see if I could find anything on recording dates. Clinton Heylin's book on Sandy states recording was completed in mid-October and his research is normally pretty solid.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 10:37:49 AM by Col D » Logged
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 10:30:26 AM »

I'm still trying to justify the cost tbh, but would love a copy.

Ditto.  

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 10:47:34 AM »

You gone for a copy of GR?

Sorry, I'm useless with abbreviations.  A major blind spot for me.  What's GR?

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2019, 11:05:31 AM »

You gone for a copy of GR?

Sorry, I'm useless with abbreviations.  A major blind spot for me.  What's GR?

Jules

It's the book Col mentions in his post above - Galactic Rumble.

Edit: Ramble  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 09:23:26 PM by jude » Logged

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2019, 03:42:49 PM »

It's the book Col mentions in his post above - Galactic Rumble.

Ah!  Thank you.

Jules

Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2019, 09:10:01 PM »

I reckon as we are effectively going to see 3 versions of Fairport at Cropredy this year assuming you count Fairport Acoustic along with ‘old’ Fairport in the form of RT, SN, DP & DM along with ‘current’ Fairport closing the festival as usual, there will be enough opportunities to encompass a good proportion of the anniversaries

Born to Run (but not very fast)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 12:58:55 PM »

And it'll be 40 years (and a week) since I first set foot in the Brasenose and the Red Lion, and drove up School Lane to the "Farewell" show.  I guess I'll be doing all of these in August.  However, I shan't be sleeping in my car this time.  Wink

Flobbadob!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: