TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:10:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2019 Lineup  (Read 123644 times)
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #180 on: February 05, 2019, 01:41:40 PM »

A quick YouTube would indicate i may well enjoy Mr Turner..... it's all looking good!
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #181 on: February 05, 2019, 01:59:49 PM »

Will he be the first Old Etonian to headline at Crops? I'd never heard of him but he looks fun for some late evening rock.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #182 on: February 06, 2019, 11:58:52 AM »

Looking at some of his live performances I think we could witness one of the biggest field exits ever - I am not sure how folks will take to an old Etonian telling them to get up and mother f*****n dance.

DW
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #183 on: February 06, 2019, 12:14:06 PM »

For all the wild enthusiasm about him now, i don't recall a big clamour about him in the pre-announcement threads (including this one). Just sayin'...

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #184 on: February 06, 2019, 01:22:28 PM »

Well can you have a one man clamour? I got it wrong though, Winchesters finest are Friday Head liners not Thursday.

Re: Thursday headliner 2019?
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2018, 11:16:18 AM »

Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls please.
At that time all those offended by the occasional swearword should be nicely tucked up in bed.

Then

« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2018, 02:13:37 PM »

For me , after the past few years (Brian Wilson excepted , I did enjoy that) we have seen acts lacking real energy.

Im still holding out for Frank Turner and the Sleeping souls

After last years leveller bore fest on a chilly Autumn night these will rock the joint with massive audience participation. Oh Im a happy Trevor.
Tony Mc

Loc: Funky Fareham

« Reply #185 on: February 06, 2019, 02:17:39 PM »

Looking at some of his live performances I think we could witness one of the biggest field exits ever - I am not sure how folks will take to an old Etonian telling them to get up and mother f*****n dance.

DW

Had a look at his show from Wembley. A bit shouty, and like the Pogues meets Bellowhead (in my opinion). Unnecessary swearing seems to try to be down with the kids. Not a family friendly performance (anyone remember Nick Harper?).

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #186 on: February 06, 2019, 03:11:38 PM »

I'll quote myself from this very forum, July 18th, 2017 from a thread called "Hats Off To Frank Turner." :

"Frank and his music would be great at Cropredy, his foul language would not.

I saw him a few years ago and he "turned the air blue" as I believe the saying goes. I don't consider myself easily offended but it was over the top. It's almost as if he wasn't allowed to swear when he was at Eton and making up for lost time !

Let's have him on the condition he tones it down."
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #187 on: February 06, 2019, 03:20:16 PM »

That's what I was afraid of.  Sorry if I sound prissy, but there is a place for swearing (usually just after hitting your thumb with a hammer, or likewise), but an over-reliance on it for the sake of... what?  Trying to sound cutting edge?  ...is just a lack of imagination in my mind, and would drive me off the field pretty quickly.

All being well, I shall be in a very happy place after seeing RT with Simon, DM and Peggy, so I won't want to spoil the feeling by being sworn at for an hour.

If his contract tells him to keep a lid on it, I'll be happy to give him a listen.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #188 on: February 06, 2019, 03:23:18 PM »

I think Frank will be great and maybe Peggy and Gareth will just have a little word with him.before he goes on about toning his language down a bit...not that it will have much effect! Looking forward to jumping around to his tunes though  Grin

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #189 on: February 06, 2019, 04:57:44 PM »

He's not always sweary.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Dan O.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #190 on: February 06, 2019, 05:33:12 PM »

He's not always sweary.

You're right, he's not - however, the night I saw him in Portsmouth a few years ago as per above, his mother had come down from Winchester for the gig, and maybe he considered it big and clever to lay it on thick in front of her, as in : "Crikey, Mother's in the audience tonight, better make it an extra naughty one, eh ?"  Smiley
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #191 on: February 06, 2019, 06:46:55 PM »

Well can you have a one man clamour? I got it wrong though, Winchesters finest are Friday Head liners not Thursday.

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2018, 11:16:18 AM »

Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls please.
At that time all those offended by the occasional swearword should be nicely tucked up in bed.

Then

« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2018, 02:13:37 PM »

For me , after the past few years (Brian Wilson excepted , I did enjoy that) we have seen acts lacking real energy.

Im still holding out for Frank Turner and the Sleeping souls

After last years leveller bore fest on a chilly Autumn night these will rock the joint with massive audience participation. Oh Im a happy Trevor.

Anything would be an improvement on THAT levellers performance! We're quite happy to give it a go.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

I know where my towel is

« Reply #192 on: February 06, 2019, 07:26:03 PM »

He's being painted badly by some on here. I cant remember him being excessively sweary at either of the gigs I've seen him at.He doesn't need to effect getting down with the fans, this is typical of him;

Frank Turner plays free Bournemouth gig after the pop-punk trio Blink-182  cancelled their BIC show

Frank Turner played a free gig for fans after the pop-punk trio Blink-182 cancelled their Bournemouth International Centre show.
Blink’s tour promoters SJM broke the news that the completely sold- out BIC gig has been cancelled due to illness within the band.
The all-round top bloke that he is, main support act Frank Turner, worked away to book a venue for a last-minute show.
Frank played a solo gig at the Bournemouth Old Fire Station .Frank’s band The Sleeping Souls weren’t  able to join him on stage at the Old Fire Station as, in his words, “unfortunately our band gear is buried under Blink's stuff in a truck!”
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #193 on: February 06, 2019, 07:57:09 PM »

Don't remember him being excessively sweary at Cambridge just a ball of loud excess on what should have been a lazy Saturday afternoon for some of us who just wanted to do the Telegraph crossword. Wink
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #194 on: February 07, 2019, 06:28:44 AM »

Wandering across radio wavelengths yesterday, I came across an early music tune I recognised. Turns out I'd heard it first on the Bones of All Men album that RT, SN, DP and DM recorded with the since disgraced Philip Pickett. I gave it a spin and there's a few good tunes on there. I wonder if the chaps would ever consider playing any of these again, and how people might react...

Flobbadob!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #195 on: February 07, 2019, 06:53:43 AM »

Sorry to double-post, but the reason I raised this in this thread is because I'd also been pondering which songs and/or tunes RT & FC Friends might play on Friday evening. Maybe add CL for a couple of tunes from Smiddyburn? IF anything from Bones were to be included, the obvious candidate for keyboards is sadly no longer with us (Maart), and they'd need to get a crumhorns or recorder player in...

One final point... my own feeling is that as the Bones material itself would need to be rearranged, therefore it would become disassociated from Pickett's arrangements to a sufficient degree to be acceptable... after all, it's not the music's fault.

Flobbadob!
Dan O.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #196 on: February 07, 2019, 09:32:17 AM »

Sorry to double-post, but the reason I raised this in this thread is because I'd also been pondering which songs and/or tunes RT & FC Friends might play on Friday evening. Maybe add CL for a couple of tunes from Smiddyburn? IF anything from Bones were to be included, the obvious candidate for keyboards is sadly no longer with us (Maart), and they'd need to get a crumhorns or recorder player in...

One final point... my own feeling is that as the Bones material itself would need to be rearranged, therefore it would become disassociated from Pickett's arrangements to a sufficient degree to be acceptable... after all, it's not the music's fault.

I'd add CL to the lineup anyway : a CL-powered "Full House" lineup is a wonderful thing !

And as for the aforementioned Mr Turner - I like his music and play it regularly on my radio show (having naturally checked the lyrics as he is prone to the odd unacceptable for broadcast F-bomb). I agree, he is a decent guy who pays attention to his fanbase - however, based on my last experience of one of his shows and the tone of his language, I decided that it wouldn't be necessary to see him in concert too often.
Putting him on at Cropredy is an interesting choice by FC Ltd. - overall, I think he'll go down very well and may even gain some new fans !
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #197 on: February 07, 2019, 10:22:44 AM »

Wandering across radio wavelengths yesterday, I came across an early music tune I recognised. Turns out I'd heard it first on the Bones of All Men album that RT, SN, DP and DM recorded with the since disgraced Philip Pickett. I gave it a spin and there's a few good tunes on there. I wonder if the chaps would ever consider playing any of these again, and how people might react...

I think we've talked about this before, but the question of how a performer (or composer)'s personal life affects how one listens to their music is a difficult one.  I happened upon Philip Pickett's Alchemist album the other day and put it on for the first time in years.  Mrs Will, who is more of a classical fan than me, said, 'Why haven't I heard this before?'  Apart from the fact that I'm fairly sure she has, albeit several years ago, I did feel somewhat torn about the fact that we were both enjoying the music.  I haven't stopped listening the the Abion Band albums he plays on, so I can't say I'm boycotting him on principle...  

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

I know where my towel is

« Reply #198 on: February 08, 2019, 10:27:09 AM »

Just read on BBC News about a bloke suing his parents for all the suffering he's had since being brought into the world without his consent.

He must have been at last years Levellers performance.

If so the prosecution rests my lord.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #199 on: February 08, 2019, 11:24:03 AM »

Just read on BBC News about a bloke suing his parents for all the suffering he's had since being brought into the world without his consent.

He must have been at last years Levellers performance.

If so the prosecution rests my lord.

I saw something similar to this on Facebook yesterday
Kid tells her parents they should pay her bills because "She didn't ask to be here"
Parents respond: "Don't take this the wrong way. Your father and I love you but we didn't choose you. You know how many sperm cells were released? You fought to win. You chose us. So maybe you should pay us instead..."

Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: