TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:04:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2019 Lineup  (Read 123632 times)
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2018, 08:06:57 PM »

After or before...doesn’t matter to me. Let’s just hope our wishes are met eh?

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2018, 08:44:08 PM »

After or before...doesn’t matter to me. Let’s just hope our wishes are met eh?
I'm wishing too!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2018, 09:51:33 PM »

"Correct me if I'm wrong please, but when is the last time Richard actually headlined on any night?"

Yep, he headlined Friday night right after Petula Clark, a hard act to follow.  Wink
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2018, 09:09:24 AM »

This is really in response to the posts in the last couple of pages.
I hope I am not revisiting a conversation that has been done to death but.....
The line up that has been announced so far can be seen as quite Fairport centric , eg , Fairports and RT headlining Fri and Sat and a ,folk rock (!) band headlining Thurs.
So we go back to a ‘feel’ of the 90’s early 2000’s.
I have always completely understood and accepted the need for a big Thursday night headliner in later years to make things financially viable. Personally I didn’t attend in the Alice and Australian Floyd years( I was at the fringe) cos I had no interest in Alice or a covers band.
My fear was that the fest would/ have to change in the future and it may still......
But this year we seem to have a fairly’traditional’ Cropredy lineup. Smaller acts down the bill to discover and of course the growing pull of the fringe. There is so much good music out there in folk clubs etc at the moment .
There are an awful lot of festivals out there now and the ones that seem to be thriving are the niche ones, Sheen and I have just booked for Folk in a Field.
So re Cropredy, perhaps the numbers may be down but it may regain it’s slightly alternative (niche) feel rather than offering a more mainstream headliner and trying to widen it’s appeal. I look forward to a strong Fairport set as RT usually means they raise their game.
I  don’t mean to stir or go over old ground just to put down thoughts that came in to my head on reading this thread.
A strong undercard would attract me........back in the day( from 93 onwards) we always booked for next years Cropredy without any regard to line up....then in the late 00’s line up seemed to be more important as , for us, the fest lost its more intimate feel. We are all different.
Strangely I have booked for Folk in A Field with no knowledge of line up but on the recommendation of friends.......
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2018, 10:06:11 AM »

"Correct me if I'm wrong please, but when is the last time Richard actually headlined on any night?"

Yep, he headlined Friday night right after Petula Clark, a hard act to follow.  Wink

Sorry but didn't Petula Clark headline, I'm sure I remember Richard being on before her. Last time I can find RT actually headlining was 2007. Since then he has played the set before the headliner (usually on a Friday).

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2018, 10:10:39 AM »

Sorry but didn't Petula Clark headline, I'm sure I remember Richard being on before her. Last time I can find RT actually headlining was 2007. Since then he has played the set before the headliner (usually on a Friday).

No Richard definitely headlined as I was feeling ill and had to leave halfway through and he was the last act of the day

Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2018, 10:25:26 AM »

No Richard definitely headlined as I was feeling ill and had to leave halfway through and he was the last act of the day
Yes he was definitely last that year. We watched Pet then bought supper and walked back to the tent to eat and listen to RT from afar.

mikec
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2018, 10:36:52 AM »

Yes he was definitely last that year. We watched Pet then bought supper and walked back to the tent to eat and listen to RT from afar.

well there you go, I would have sworn it was the other way round. Mind you I have blanked Petula's set out of my mind as it was dreadful. (IMHO of course)  Wink Cheesy

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2018, 02:32:28 PM »

I think Petula was billed as 'headline' but actually played the slot before the last act which was Richard. So Petula headlined andthen Richard headlined afterwards  Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2018, 02:34:43 PM »

well there you go, I would have sworn it was the other way round. Mind you I have blanked Petula's set out of my mind as it was dreadful. (IMHO of course)  Wink Cheesy

Pet did me a favour as Kim and I went for a romantic moonlit walk down the canal towpath, twas all rather wonderful, unlike her set
mikec
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2018, 03:10:14 PM »

I think Petula was billed as 'headline' but actually played the slot before the last act which was Richard. So Petula headlined andthen Richard headlined afterwards  Grin

Thank you Jude. Everywhere I looked on tinterweb it had Petula down as headlining which was why I was sure she did  Shocked

Of course my incorrect memory will have had absolutely nothing to do with the ale I may have consumed that day. No, definitely not, no way  Wink Roll Eyes

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2018, 04:33:33 PM »

Thank you Jude. Everywhere I looked on tinterweb it had Petula down as headlining which was why I was sure she did  Shocked

Of course my incorrect memory will have had absolutely nothing to do with the ale I may have consumed that day. No, definitely not, no way  Wink Roll Eyes

I have a vivid memory of RT soliciting the crowd to join in, saying something to the effect:  "You sang 'Downtown' with Petula Clark, you damn well better sing along with me."
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2018, 08:16:38 PM »

I felt ill watching Petula Clark, she was awful (in my ever so humble opinion!!)

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Tony Mc

Loc: Funky Fareham

« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2018, 01:13:22 PM »

Which was a shame because I was looking forward to RT (hoping for Galway to Graceland) but with Pet going first we went back to the van feeling disillusioned.

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2018, 05:32:59 PM »

She wasn't that bad. She still has quite a stage presence and there was a lot of singing along. I wouldn't have made a special trip anywhere to see her, but she was OK. I've seen worse (at Cropredy!)

Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2018, 05:53:06 PM »

She wasn't that bad. She still has quite a stage presence and there was a lot of singing along. I wouldn't have made a special trip anywhere to see her, but she was OK. I've seen worse (at Cropredy!)

I thought so too. My illness was nothing to do with her - I was still recovering from a hypo attack which was “saved by doughnuts”  Grin

arie

« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2018, 12:47:09 PM »

I think that switching RT for PC had to do with RT "going electric".
When first announced he was booked alone, so acoustic. An acoustic RT before PC with a full band is the logical order. So posters and publicity gave us that.
But comes the time RT gained a Band, the RTB of 1983 (and thereabouts). Maybe first for a few songs but in the end a pretty full set. Logic now dictated that this band could and should be the "headlining" act.

Everybody involved must have liked it (I certainly did!) so they booked RT alone again, now with the intention to make it an almost Full House from the start.
In doing so they led me to reconsidering my holiday plans and I'm planning to go to Cropredy once again.
This version of the Richard Thompson Band 1983 is unique, you wont see them anywhere else (although one can hope they do a rehearsal gig!)
In 2017 they surprised me with not only playing stuff from their heyday (say "Hand of Kindness" a.o.), but also more recent songs that didn't include Simon and the Daves when recorded.
It wasn't a surprise that it was splendid!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2018, 12:40:12 PM »

Can I add a suggestion for Sparks please?

Also, Colin Blunstone and Rod Argent - they tour together and have a great back catalogue of music to entertain us with!

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2018, 01:27:51 PM »

Sparks - now that would be fun.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2018, 02:50:01 PM »

Can I add a suggestion for Sparks please?

Also, Colin Blunstone and Rod Argent - they tour together and have a great back catalogue of music to entertain us with!

Great call - saw The Zombies at the now defunct Wickerman a few years back, and they were fab. Included a light bulb moment when Mr A told us not to sing along  'Hold your head up woooah'  but  'Hold your head up woman'.   Never knew.  Sparks would be so much fun.  

and the stars look very different today
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: