TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:24:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Top 3 "Only at Cropredy" Moments  (Read 6611 times)
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« on: August 16, 2018, 01:06:24 AM »

This is now the third year I've done this. As I wrote last year,
"This is not for musical highlights nor for gripes, both of which are well covered elsewhere. It's for those positive little things that sum up the spirit of Cropredy - the kind of thing you wouldn't get anywhere else, that make Cropredy special. I could list more, but here's my three (Ah well, five, just to get started).

During Kate Rusby's beautiful set, as she sang wistfully about the moon, on a dull enough night, seeing the three planets (presumably Mars, Jupiter and Saturn) defiantly lined up and shining through the cloud.

My lovely neighbours (father and son) who on Saturday night when I went back for a change from wet to wet-wet gear (poncho and overtrousers), let me stand in their nice dry awning area and get a full dry change of clothes rather than crouching and brushing against the damp sides of my slightly smaller tent - it made such a difference for the night ahead...

During MOTL, my hands swaying emotionally as they do, I bumped into the chap next to me. I turned to apologise, but rather than brushing me off, he clasped my hand in brotherhood (and Fairporthood, to coin a phrase)

Those signs - OK, every year some are hilarious, some are mildly amusing. This year there was one I didn't find particularly funny, until the third time I was walking out of the arena in busy foot traffic. I stopped in my tracks and burst out laughing to the bemusement of those around me - cos I'd just got the joke. (If the farmer asks you to round up his 38 sheep, say "OK, 40".)

And finally the drive home to my sister's in Manchester, playing my newly acquired "What we did on our Saturday", and realising that not only was it magical for its sense of occasion, but it was a stunning musical spectacle in its own right. Not a dud track among them, the level of musicianship is just incredible. A perfect way to end the Cropredy year with a smile.

So, your top 3, 4 or 5 moments? (Remember the rules - no highlights from stage performances, and no whinges or complaints - plenty of room for them elsewhere).

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Fegg

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 01:18:38 PM »

The stage during the minute after the final note of MOTL had faded away.
(This was no performance...)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 01:35:06 PM »

Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 02:57:23 PM »

This...

Then the intro to Metal Matty

Then the 3 security guards on field 8 who were about to leave as it was the end of their shift who said hi to us as they were walking past (me, wife and sis in law all sheltering in gazebo) and came over after we said hi back and stayed for a chat for a good half hour or so. Lovely guys, and sums up the Cropredy vibe entirely.

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Tom64

Loc: Munich

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 04:23:08 PM »

Friday afternoon it was raining and I got a bit desperate because I felt all wet and wondered if I should just go back to my hotel (I know, I know) and then decided to get a cup of tea to warm me up, went to toilet first and heard the rain pratter then went out over the field and - suddenly the sun was shining and it was warm and everybody was smiling.

The guy walking past me pointing to my RT Old Kit Bag saying "Nice merchandising" and then sitting down a couple of yards away and pointing to his own Old Kit Bag.

When the Bar Stewards (I didn't care much for them) brought Maartin Allcock to the stage and said: "If you do just one standing ovation this weekend this is the moment".

Ed.: (Late addition: Being promoted from Newbie to full member on talkawhile after 9 years  Wink )

« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 04:34:10 PM by Tom52 » Logged
Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 04:28:48 PM »

1. Walking onto the field for the first time.  Grin

2. Maart doing Metal Matty  Fez

3. Maart’s goodbye  Cry

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 06:44:51 PM »

1. Walking onto the field for the first time.  Grin

2. Maart doing Metal Matty  Fez

3. Maart’s goodbye  Cry

What Pugwash said!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: