TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:27:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off The Pegg  (Read 46898 times)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« on: July 05, 2018, 10:16:49 PM »

So, an ‘autobiography’ is promised in time for Cropredy. What with this and Maart’s book, looks like I’ll get my “Woodworm Years” history after all! Or will I? Schofield’s down as co-writer for Peggy. Who’d like to start the speculation on whether this will be another cut n’ paste leftovers job, or an insightful look back at fifty years plus of an insider’s take on ‘The Business’. I should stress that I have not been interviewed for this, and so my rip-roaring story of how I gave him a fag outside the Colchester Arts Centre once will probably not have made the cut.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 10:38:02 PM »

So, an ‘autobiography’ is promised in time for Cropredy. What with this and Maart’s book, looks like I’ll get my “Woodworm Years” history after all! Or will I? Schofield’s down as co-writer for Peggy. Who’d like to start the speculation on whether this will be another cut n’ paste leftovers job, or an insightful look back at fifty years plus of an insider’s take on ‘The Business’. I should stress that I have not been interviewed for this, and so my rip-roaring story of how I gave him a fag outside the Colchester Arts Centre once will probably not have made the cut.

I saw the announcement of this on FB and then spotted the co-author credit and just thought "Oh dear." Expect an error strewn, superficial and fawning canter. It may be as well that Swarb is not around to see this. I hope to be proved wrong.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 10:46:08 PM »

I saw the announcement of this on FB and then spotted the co-author credit and just thought "Oh dear." Expect an error strewn, superficial and fawning canter. It may be as well that Swarb is not around to see this. I hope to be proved wrong.

Nice cover though.

https://www.facebook.com/Fairportofficial/photos/a.118095884882783.17462.112360318789673/2487166271309054/?type=3
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 10:55:52 PM »

Just hope it'll be arramged chronologically, rather than thematically.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 06:46:33 AM »

My thoughts as well.  I'm much more excited about Iain's book tbh (although I'll probably give in and read this so Peggy and Nigel will get their cash and care not one jot...).  Someone else says they like the cover.  It made me wince....  Undecided

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 09:43:16 AM »

Awful cover imo.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 09:56:05 AM »

Why are so many peeps being so negative??
Is the heat getting too much for some of you?

Have you never heard the phrase... Don't Judge a Book by its Cover??

Stop it and behave!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 09:57:38 AM »

sorry. yes, mum

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 11:00:56 AM »

Why are so many peeps being so negative??

Because we have read the works of Mr Schofield before, most recently the risible notes on the live album. It does not inspire confidence.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 01:12:09 PM »

Hi Shane. Can I ask when this was as I go to the Colchester Arts Centre quite often as I live near Maldon in Essex

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 02:08:44 PM »

My first reactions were"not Schofield again!" and like Jules i think he could have chosen a much better cover.
I weep because I care.

The Dude abides
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 02:22:07 PM »

Hi Shane. Can I ask when this was as I go to the Colchester Arts Centre quite often as I live near Maldon in Essex

Babbacombe Lee revisited tour. Cocker Freeman introduced me. There was some talk about not breaking into the alternate version of The Sailor’s Alphabet...  Smiley

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Gareth (GWR71)

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 12:01:04 AM »

When that pretty terrible Schofield-authored book about FC came out in 2013 and caused widespread disappointment and the final rift with Swarb, wasn't there a promise of a warts-and-all book (*not* Swarb's one) that was already in the works and would be coming out subsequently? I'm sure there was.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 12:15:16 PM »

I saw a book on FC by Clinton Haylin at Cropredy based around the interviews he did for his Sandy book plus additional ones done in 2016. Can't remember its name as I bouggt IM's book instead, but a google ought to find it. But pre-Woodworm I suspect

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 12:26:42 PM »

I saw a book on FC by Clinton Haylin at Cropredy based around the interviews he did for his Sandy book plus additional ones done in 2016. Can't remember its name as I bouggt IM's book instead, but a google ought to find it. But pre-Woodworm I suspect

There is a thread about it here somewhere. But yes, it only goes up to 1982 nd also covers Richard & Linda and the activities of other ex members during that period.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 12:30:57 PM »

Published this year?

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 01:35:56 PM »

Published this year?

A couple of months ago. Only available direct from the author at the moment I think.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 02:11:09 PM »

And at the Cropredy CD tent. £25 I think

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 10:13:13 PM »

Off the Peggy is £20.

The typeface is very small. I will read it next week under a strong lamp.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 10:19:34 PM »

Off the Peggy is £20.

The typeface is very small. I will read it next week under a strong lamp.
It certainly is small.
Given that the majority of readers are going to be of a certain age, you would have thought this might have been taken into consideration.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: