TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:54:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maart  (Read 86741 times)
Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2018, 09:29:19 PM »

So very sad. Deepest condolences to his family.  
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2018, 09:43:20 PM »

R.I.P Maart.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2018, 09:44:54 PM »

Fantastic musician, deepest sympathies to all his family and friends. What a wonderful musical legacy.
Squiggle
Purr

Loc: Northwest Wales

« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2018, 09:48:17 PM »

Maart's family and I are distraught that the news has come out in this way when we made it clear we wished to have a couple of days to inform close family and friends.  Now there are those close to us who will have found out via social media before we have had a chance to speak with them and could feel hurt to have found out in such a way.  Today was devastating enough without this insensitivity.

I telephoned a very close friend of Maart's who was devastated by the news.  He was staying with someone unknown to me or Maart who went straight to Twitter when our friend went out to his gig.  The post has since been taken down but the damage was done.  I never understand people who get a buzz out of wanting to be the first to post news without thinking about the effect they may have upon others.

We will issue a statement on Maart's website, which will continue to operate, when we have had chance to gather our thoughts.

Thank you for all your good wishes.

Jan
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2018, 09:51:28 PM »

Maart's family and I are distraught that the news has come out in this way when we made it clear we wished to have a couple of days to inform close family and friends.  Now there are those close to us who will have found out via social media before we have had a chance to speak with them and could feel hurt to have found out in such a way.  Today was devastating enough without this insensitivity.

I telephoned a very close friend of Maart's who was devastated by the news.  He was staying with someone unknown to me or Maart who went straight to Twitter when our friend went out to his gig.  The post has since been taken down but the damage was done.  I never understand people who get a buzz out of wanting to be the first to post news without thinking about the effect they may have upon others.

We will issue a statement on Maart's website, which will continue to operate, when we have had chance to gather our thoughts.

Thank you for all your good wishes.

Jan

All our love Jan...  raising several glasses to Maart this evening xxxx

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2018, 09:58:03 PM »

RIP Maart, and so sorry about the distress caused to the family by the way it came out too.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2018, 10:22:44 PM »

Maart had 611 posts on TAW and the last message I received from him was only four weeks ago. It was a very kind message, explaining a lot and totally forgiving something that had been inaccurately posted about him.

It finished "As for me, the matter is over, the man is forgiven, and let's all move on. Life really is too short..."

Social media has a lot to answer for, but now it's done and let's tell the family what a star he was.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2018, 10:27:12 PM »

Maart had 611 posts on TAW and the last message I received from him was only four weeks ago. It was a very kind message, explaining a lot and totally forgiving something that had been inaccurately posted about him.

It finished "As for me, the matter is over, the man is forgiven, and let's all move on. Life really is too short..."

Social media has a lot to answer for, but now it's done and let's tell the family what a star he was.

Too right... he certainly was... I have so many personal memories of a Maart  and am right now watching him on a very old F.C. dvd...  the Five Seasons.  RIP Maart xxx

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2018, 10:31:27 PM »

Well said, Colin.

And much love to Jan.  And apologies for my part in spreading the news before you were all ready.

I first heard the name Maartin Allcock on my dad's copy of a Mike Harding LP.  Little did I think that the next time I would hear his name it would be in connection with Fairport.  One thing's for sure - his final curtain call was a memorable one.  He played out his story in style.  What a man.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2018, 10:53:34 PM »

A dreadful day for Maart's family, friends and fans.

He was a star and a polymath, a good photographer, a great guitarist (and player of many other instruments) and an all-round good egg in my experience of him.

My glass is raised to him this evening. Cheerio, Maart, we shall Meet On The Ledge.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 11:20:43 PM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2018, 11:19:11 PM »

Oh gosh I wasn’t expecting this   Cry Maart was always my favourite Fairporter, if such a thing exists. He was guitarist (and so much more) when I was first introduced to FC by a friend Mick Davies, also sadly gone.

RIP Maart. I’m so glad for you that you played at Cropredy this year xx my heartfelt condolences go to his family and friends

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2018, 02:28:04 AM »

On the bright side, if there can be one (well, yes there can...), the timing was such that he was able to have his curtain call at Cropredy, and get the truly heart-wrenching send-off he so richly deserved - and I'd guess that meant a lot to him as well as to all of us there. The memory of those last 20 minutes of this year's Cropredy will remain forever. RIP

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2018, 02:54:25 AM »

RIP Maart.

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2018, 08:23:42 AM »

So sad to hear this.

A little story about a fine man. A few years ago, I found that my copy of his FC songbook was missing a few pages, bookbinders' error I assumed, and I IM'ed him in case it was a widespread problem. Even being as busy as he was and knowing what a task compiling the books had been, he sent the missing pages by email the same day for me to print out. Shan't forget that. Top man.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2018, 08:52:29 AM »

Maart revitalised Fairport when he joined - whilst the 80s era may (for some) have been a little dominated by overuse of keyboards and effects Maart's sheer musicality and versatility brought excitement and dynamism to both recordings and live performances. Few guitarists can attempt to "takeover" from the likes of Thompson and Donahue but Maart stood alongside them as an equal. Cheers Maart we will miss you.

DW
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2018, 09:14:58 AM »

So so sad to hear this news. Maart was a top bloke I shall miss him very very much. We emailed a few times as he lived very close to the farm I was brought up on. He was always kind and generous with his time. I am so so very glad i got to see him do  a "metal matty" and have a laugh with the Barstewards! RIP Maart.

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2018, 09:51:49 AM »

My sympathy to Jan and the rest of Maart's family and friends. So hard to hear such news, especially for those that heard first via social media.
He will be missed.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2018, 10:16:28 AM »

I'm dreadfully upset that he didn't get longer, but so so pleased he got that last hurrah with the band only a few short weeks ago, and that I got a chance to see it online.  For me, there was definitely a case of not quite knowing what I was missing with Maart until it was too late....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2018, 11:14:54 AM »

I ,like others , am genuinely upset this morning. I really do feel a loss and I never met Maart, only looked up at him displaying his skill.

I am sorry the informations release was imperfect, but , we do consider ourselves as a sort of extended family.

This can have its good moments too ,(ie the support and love for Jerry),however this was a downside.

But there is one thing the family will surely know;

We share both their pride and their loss.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2018, 11:18:06 AM »

FC have tweeted an RIP

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: