TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:21:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maart  (Read 86200 times)
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2018, 10:33:47 AM »

Just read about this on Fb. How terribly sad  Cry but what dignity. I wish him an easy journey

I second that.
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2018, 01:13:27 PM »

The Maart lineup was also 'My' Fairport, as this was the lineup when I first started listening to them and I saw them many times. I can still remember being quite sad when I went to a gig in Chesterfield and there was a sign up saying he was no longer appearing with the band.

Terrible news for Maart, his family, friends and fans. :-(

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2018, 02:36:43 PM »

This is very sad news and I too am impressed with MA's dignity.
trewin

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2018, 02:43:40 PM »

Very sad news I first saw him at the "Wish it was a brewery folk club" in Rochester . The Bully Wee Band played there a lot. I've also seen him many times with Fairport.

DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2018, 03:57:30 PM »

The Maart line up was the first version of Fairport I saw, on the Five Seasons tour at Southport in 1991. His announcement is very sad but also inspiring. What a fantastic musician and person.
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2018, 04:14:36 PM »

As everybody has been saying, this is terribly sad. That announcement on his website is incredible: to say what he says with such dignity, humour, and apparent equanimity shows a real depth of character.

I've noticed that again and again, those who know they are dying tell us to value our loved ones and, as Maart puts it, shower them with love. Let's be sure to do it, eh?
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2018, 07:56:36 PM »

Addendum

To let him Maart hear from you, use the contact details from his website:

Email: maartinallcock@btinternet.com

or you can write to Maart at PO Box 31, Harlech, LL46 2WQ, Wales

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
PL (Peter)
able to create swamp magic

Loc: SW Germany

If it`s Wednesday, you survived Tuesday.

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2018, 08:10:14 AM »

So sad News.
Wishing him all the strength possible and an easy journey surrounded by his loved ones.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2018, 09:09:10 AM »

Can only echo what everyone else has said.  Very sad news, but an incredibly dignified way to tell people.  Peace to you, Maart.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Yorkshire Chris
Did you have a Sloppy Guiseppe?

Loc: Yorkshire (who'd have guessed...!)

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2018, 02:38:47 PM »

Gutted. First became aware of Maart when he played on Mike Harding's Brown Ale Cowboys - Mike introduced him as "By name and nature...!"

Sending as many positive thoughts as I can to Maart & his family and friends.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2018, 06:28:00 PM »

Very sad news. Fine musician I've seen with many bands, always with a big smile both onstage and at the bar.  Seemed like a guy who knew how to enjoy life.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2018, 06:45:06 PM »

It's worth saying Maart can do 'grumpy' pretty successfully, as well  Wink Smiley Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2018, 06:49:35 PM »

With John From Austin on a boat somewhere on the Thames, August 5, 2007, following a scintillating set by Swarb's Lazarus. God bless Maart and all Fairporters, past and present, and their friends, families and fans everywhere.

* Maart.jpg (94.62 KB, 640x426 - viewed 2034 times.)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2018, 09:42:02 PM »

Just returned from holidays to this. Oh s**t!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2018, 01:08:16 PM »

Just returned from holidays to this. Oh s**t!

Ditto - I was away at the weekend with no real internet connection, so this is the first I've seen of it. I can only echo what everyone else has said. I also wish that I could have gone to Cropredy this year just to see Maart on stage one last time, but it's impossible for me.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
dooovall [Daniel]

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2018, 03:54:25 AM »

In April of 1991, I saw Fairport Convention live for the first time in my life in Pennsylvania at a venue called The Hearth.

At the time, I was all about the lineup that had made In Real Time: Live '87 & Expletive Delighted.  I was aware that the band had been through many lineup changes and had watched the "It All Comes 'Round Again" documentary on VHS, but I hadn't yet begun collecting the albums from earlier lineups (whereas now I love 'em all).

Maart was brilliant on lead guitar that night, and I recall that when Simon sang "...me being all in disguise," Maart donned a pair of novelty glasses with a fake nose.  Quite the showman.

I also saw Maart during his stint with Jethro Tull, which was at that time my favorite band.  I recall that the Cleveland 1991 gig was a bit lackluster (not faulting Maart here -- the whole band seemed a bit off, and the acoustics weren't great), and one of my friends observed that Maart looked like he was somber the whole show.  I'm still hoping that the world will one day enjoy an official release of live recordings from the 1989 Tull tour, as the whole band seemed looser and incorporated quite a lot of unusual material including an interlude during which Maart, Dave Pegg, and Doane Perry played what Martin Barre introduced as "superior folk music."  Maart also got to play guitar alongside Martin Barre for at least one song on that '89 tour when he (Maart) wasn't manning the keyboards.

Jewel in the Crown, Acoustically Down Under, and Old, New, Borrowed, Blue remain some of my favorite FC CDs, and I'm grateful to Maartin Allcock for helping to keep this marvelous musical experiment afloat for a decade of its existence.  And he transcribed a couple of FC songbooks AND the RT songbooks AND the Sandy Denny songbook!  Thank you, MA!

Maartin Allcock is a singular mammal who left a permanent impression in the history of music, and I look forward to his autobiography.

On the day he passes, I'll finally listen to the original Pete Townshend version of North Country Girl (which Maart covered on his first solo album) for the first time in my life.

Cheers, Maart, and thank you for being you.

Love,

Daniel S Duvall
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2018, 09:07:47 AM »

I was offline for a couple of weeks and have only just learned this dreadful news.

Great guy, spoke to him a couple of times after FC gigs or at The Field Bar. What a happy man. When I got the FC songbook, the bookbinders had missed a couple of pages so I emailed Maart direct who emailed me the pages by return.

Some consolation, he has beautiful surroundings in Wales in which to spend his last year; lots of photos on his website.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2018, 09:14:08 AM »

I saw FC acoustic in Swindon Arts Centre many years ago. Maart had a melodeon, or maybe an accordion? The band attempted to play a tune featuring said instrument in the backing, but for some reason, possibly alcohol-assisted?!, it wasn't working, so Maart returned it to its box, all the while doing a ventriloquism conversation with it... "but I don't like it in here, it's dark, etc" Happy memories of a lovely chap, and a brilliant musician.

Flobbadob!
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2018, 01:45:33 PM »

Not to suggest he is without ego but Maart, like the late great Pete Zorn, is a musician who makes other musicians sound better just by playing with them, a great support muso and also well able to take centre stage as a lead. I think the best I saw him was on a Beth Nielsen Chapman tour (incidentally with Pete Zorn in the band).

DW
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2018, 04:29:36 PM »

Not to suggest he is without ego but Maart, like the late great Pete Zorn, is a musician who makes other musicians sound better just by playing with them, a great support muso and also well able to take centre stage as a lead. I think the best I saw him was on a Beth Nielsen Chapman tour (incidentally with Pete Zorn in the band).

DW

That's a rare skill that is often overlooked with the spotlight on the big name(s). Many years ago Maart stayed with us with Kieron Halpin when they played our folk club. He was a gentleman and very warm man and a good foil to Kieron who was a fab singer/songwriter but a tricky man to handle thanks to copious amount of whiskey post gig. A great musician and from my experience a gentle and thoughtful man.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: