TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:54:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Incorrect Cropredy line-ups  (Read 6334 times)
Keith E Rice

Loc: Harrogate

"It's alright...it's only witchcraft!"

« on: May 19, 2018, 02:58:52 PM »

Just relistening to THE QUIET JOYS OF BROTHERHOOD 2fer from 2004 - a selection from the 86 and 87 shows. Thinking how wonderful it was when Fairport didn't feel the need to parade the 'correct' line-up for the each song. But ex-members would join in - obviously at least partially rehearsed on - all kinds of things that they had never been on at the time the number was originally recorded.

I mean...Jerry playing crunchy rhythm with a little flash of second lead here and there behind Richard on 'Time Will Show The Wiser'...Jerry and Richard sparring with Ric in turn on 'Hand Of Kindness' while Maart holds it all together with that sinewy organ lead.

Wonderfully innovative stuff that really allows these guys to show what world class players they are. A lot more interesting IMHO than the correct line-up trying to recreate the studio number as closely as possible.

I don't suppose they're ever going to go back to such risky formats...but it was a little golden era of Fantastic Fairport.

INTERNATIONALLY ACCLAIMED!
'KNOWING ME, KNOWING YOU: an Integrated SocioPsychology Guide to Personal Fulfilment & Better Relationships'  ISBN 1-4120-8291-9 (Trafford Publishing, 2006)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 01:18:07 AM »

Just relistening to THE QUIET JOYS OF BROTHERHOOD 2fer from 2004 - a selection from the 86 and 87 shows. Thinking how wonderful it was when Fairport didn't feel the need to parade the 'correct' line-up for the each song. But ex-members would join in - obviously at least partially rehearsed on - all kinds of things that they had never been on at the time the number was originally recorded.

I mean...Jerry playing crunchy rhythm with a little flash of second lead here and there behind Richard on 'Time Will Show The Wiser'...Jerry and Richard sparring with Ric in turn on 'Hand Of Kindness' while Maart holds it all together with that sinewy organ lead.

Wonderfully innovative stuff that really allows these guys to show what world class players they are. A lot more interesting IMHO than the correct line-up trying to recreate the studio number as closely as possible.

I don't suppose they're ever going to go back to such risky formats...but it was a little golden era of Fantastic Fairport.

Interesting point. However, Jerry and Ric are not on that version of Hand Of Kindness. That version was filmed and included on the It All Comes 'Round Again documentary. Simon, Peggy, DM and Maart do along with Richard of course.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 02:23:04 AM »

This is in only my opinion and with no evidence whatsoever a symptom of a trend in music to play it safe in general, wouldn't want the punter to walk away, and with the falling revenue it seems for recording who can blame the artist.

Gone are the days of experimentation by larger bands.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 09:23:18 PM »

I guess Maart has kinda filled that void in recent years, last year he joined them on stage for The Hexhamshire Lass, Dirty Linen, Rising for the Moon and a few others that are not from his era.

Imponderable Joy
Keith E Rice

Loc: Harrogate

"It's alright...it's only witchcraft!"

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 11:25:26 AM »

Sorry, RobertD, I meant 'Shame Of Doing Wrong'.

Ric's violin is all over it, with the extended echo effect he used at the time. The first 2 guitar breaks are a bit low in the mix - not a good mix, Peggy! - but sure sound like Jerry to me. Richard very distinctively and mucb higher in the mix does the third and fourth guitar breaks.

INTERNATIONALLY ACCLAIMED!
'KNOWING ME, KNOWING YOU: an Integrated SocioPsychology Guide to Personal Fulfilment & Better Relationships'  ISBN 1-4120-8291-9 (Trafford Publishing, 2006)
arie

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 07:56:03 PM »

I agree with the sentiment overall, but not with the "trying to recreate the studio number as closely as possible" per se.
Listening to the first few songs on "What We Did On Our Saturday"* I noticed that RT avoids just playing the same chords as he did before.
That must count for something.
Might be not as adventurous, but these smaller differences are very enjoyable too!
(*Yes, I know that it includes songs not on an original studio album)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: