TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:46:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What We Did On Our Saturday  (Read 61305 times)
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2018, 01:05:37 PM »

My copy has just arrived with the morning post (at 1.00pm!) so that’s this afternoons entertainment sorted  before I go to London tonight to see Mary Chapin Carpenter  Smiley

Born to Run (but not very fast)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2018, 02:11:10 PM »

Back to the album - my copy arrived this morning, giving it a first listen now. Superb so far. Nice work, chaps !

However, pedant alert, Nigel Schofield's sleeve notes - the current FC dates from 1998 when Gerry Conway joined, not 1996 as the notes say.

Also, I'm not sure about his observation that this reunion of the debut album lineup was a "genuine first."
A quick scan of my Cropredy 2002 35th Anniversary cd shows the same lineup gathered, GC subbing for Martin Lamble rather than DM who was absent from proceedings that year.

Much as I like the music on the various Free Reed box sets, Nigel Schofield made a lot of errors and some head scratching claims in the booklets which I find rather surprising for a big fan.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
trewin

« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2018, 04:38:54 PM »

Back to the album - my copy arrived this morning, giving it a first listen now. Superb so far. Nice work, chaps !

However, pedant alert, Nigel Schofield's sleeve notes - the current FC dates from 1998 when Gerry Conway joined, not 1996 as the notes say.

Also, I'm not sure about his observation that this reunion of the debut album lineup was a "genuine first."
A quick scan of my Cropredy 2002 35th Anniversary cd shows the same lineup gathered, GC subbing for Martin Lamble rather than DM who was absent from proceedings that year.

Much as I like the music on the various Free Reed box sets, Nigel Schofield made a lot of errors and some head scratching claims in the booklets which I find rather surprising for a big fan.

Also in the notes Nigel says that Richard Thompson's "Career-spanning set: one half acoustic- the other electric with Peggy, Simon, DM, & Christine Collister" was at the end of Saturday night!
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2018, 05:32:15 PM »

I was present for a hastily organized 1967 line-up reunion in 2007, as well. "Time Will Show The Wiser" made the 2007 DVD, with Iain, Judy, RT, Simon, Ashley, and I believe both DM and GC (or at least DM) on drums.  If I recall correctly, someone remarks that they realized late that they had the 1967 configuration present, so they performed it with little or no rehearsal.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2018, 05:38:39 PM »

I was present for a hastily organized 1967 line-up reunion in 2007, as well. "Time Will Show The Wiser" made the 2007 DVD, with Iain, Judy, RT, Simon, Ashley, and I believe both DM and GC (or at least DM) on drums.  If I recall correctly, someone remarks that they realized late that they had the 1967 configuration present, so they performed it with little or no rehearsal.

I seem to remember being asked if I would do  that reunion several months before  Grin
We did rehearse together at Woodworm studios and we did a warm up at the Mill, so not completely unrehearsed Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2018, 06:15:14 PM »

I seem to remember being asked if I would do  that reunion several months before  Grin
We did rehearse together at Woodworm studios and we did a warm up at the Mill, so not completely unrehearsed Grin

Then there was their wonderful reunion in 2009 for Joe Boyd's Witchseason gig at The Barbican...
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2018, 08:26:31 PM »

Then there was their wonderful reunion in 2009 for Joe Boyd's Witchseason gig at The Barbican...

I stand corrected and one-upped. For the record, it did not sound unrehearsed in 2007, but I nevertheless had some misinformation bouncing around in my head.  Smiley
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2018, 10:17:22 AM »

He is a terrible writer. Everything he produces is riddled with errors and he has no objectivity. It is just a shame that that he has become the authorised voice of the band. There must be better candidates. What is Patrick Humphries up to these days?
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2018, 12:02:20 PM »

There must be better candidates. What is Patrick Humphries up to these days?

“Mr Humphries, are you free?”  Grin

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2018, 12:10:53 PM »

CD just arrived... so happy...  can’t  wait to have a listen.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2018, 12:12:01 PM »

“Mr Humphries, are you free?”  Grin

Grin Grin Grin

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2018, 01:26:30 PM »

He is a terrible writer. Everything he produces is riddled with errors and he has no objectivity. It is just a shame that that he has become the authorised voice of the band. There must be better candidates.

Did he write all the Free Reed box set material?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2018, 02:13:20 PM »

He is a terrible writer. Everything he produces is riddled with errors and he has no objectivity. It is just a shame that that he has become the authorised voice of the band. There must be better candidates.

Did he write all the Free Reed box set material?

Yep.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2018, 03:03:32 PM »

“Mr Humphries, are you free?”  Grin

😂😂😂😂😂

The Dude abides
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2018, 03:44:07 PM »

Loving it... I am back there in that glorious field!!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2018, 04:52:52 PM »

CD arrived, production is crystal clear and the whole thing is very enjoyable.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2018, 04:56:32 PM »

I hope you are huddled in an increasing number of jumpers as the CD goes on, and possibly sitting in the fridge by the end, in order to recreate the genuine experience!  Wink Grin

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2018, 04:56:43 PM »

CD arrived, production is crystal clear and the whole thing is very enjoyable.

Totally agree and it’s almost as if we weren’t there (except for the crowd cheers recorded at the end of the tracks)

Born to Run (but not very fast)
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2018, 05:02:43 PM »

I hope you are huddled in an increasing number of jumpers as the CD goes on, and possibly sitting in the fridge by the end, in order to recreate the genuine experience!  Wink Grin

I should ask someone to chain smoke next to me for two hours, for authenticity.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2018, 05:59:35 PM »

Just finished CD1 - marvellous!  Grin

Flobbadob!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: