TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 02:49:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2018 - Turns and Tickets  (Read 319011 times)
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #160 on: January 31, 2018, 10:50:30 AM »

Agreed Jenny. But timing is everything. There is an impression of delay. It's not a true factor , but the impression does exist , you just need to look at the forums. Its like one of those false delays you get on reality TV when the envelope is opened and the presenter says ,"and the winner is ......... you know you've got time to put the kettle on ,or re-read "War and Peace". It only works if people are pleased when the announcement finally occurs.

What I mean is that it needs to be someone who creates a high tempo feel of being at a party (or who communicates as brilliantly as Alice Cooper did, making you feel he was directing the whole show at you personally).

Anyone watching the documentary series on channel BBC4 (Hits,Hype and Hustle) heard mega promoter John Giddings answer the question , What do bands have to do to be a success at a festival. His answer ," Play the hits".

If Divine Comedy had forgotten  the new Album just played the hits I am sure the field would have remained full and people would have gone home happy. Instead we got an hour of introspective soul searching before he roused up with National Express , Something for the weekend and We fly tonight. By then non fans had gone.

I have confidence in Gareth and Co , I am sure it will be ok. But like many others I just wish they would get on with it.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #161 on: January 31, 2018, 10:52:22 AM »

Patience is a virtue.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #162 on: January 31, 2018, 10:56:33 AM »

If Divine Comedy had forgotten  the new Album just played the hits I am sure the field would have remained full and people would have gone home happy.

Using this logic, how do we explain that the field half empties for Fairport, then (most years at least)?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

I know where my towel is

« Reply #163 on: January 31, 2018, 10:58:21 AM »

Procrastination is the thief of time.

Edward Young "Night Thoughts".
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #164 on: January 31, 2018, 10:58:51 AM »

If Divine Comedy had forgotten  the new Album just played the hits I am sure the field would have remained full and people would have gone home happy.

Using this logic, how do we explain that the field half empties for Fairport, then (most years at least)?

Not my experience. 2009(?) was the exception due to torrential rain.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #165 on: January 31, 2018, 11:03:16 AM »

What I mean is that it needs to be someone who creates a high tempo feel of being at a party (or who communicates as brilliantly as Alice Cooper did, making you feel he was directing the whole show at you personally).

Anyone watching the documentary series on channel BBC4 (Hits,Hype and Hustle) heard mega promoter John Giddings answer the question , What do bands have to do to be a success at a festival. His answer ," Play the hits".

If Divine Comedy had forgotten  the new Album just played the hits I am sure the field would have remained full and people would have gone home happy. Instead we got an hour of introspective soul searching before he roused up with National Express , Something for the weekend and We fly tonight. By then non fans had gone.

Alice Cooper connected and enjoyed the festival , the would be Napoleon didn't.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #166 on: January 31, 2018, 11:06:16 AM »

Agreed Jenny. But timing is everything. There is an impression of delay. It's not a true factor , but the impression does exist , you just need to look at the forums.

Anyone who runs a festival according to forum feedback needs their head examining.

And speaking of forum feedback, is it just me, or has history been redefined in order to exclude the howls of anguish when Alice Cooper was/were announced as a headliner? I hadn’t seen that much outrage since The Levellers were booked.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

I know where my towel is

« Reply #167 on: January 31, 2018, 11:10:18 AM »

Davidmjs.

You have said on here that you haven't been for a while so I expect you are talking about 2010 era? . I haven't noticed the field empty for Fairports in the past few years. I agree it happened a bit four or five years ago but not to my knowledge recently.It's been the biggest crowd of the weekend down front for Matty and Meet on the Ledge.

I am a football administrator and there are absurd social habits that people get into. At football we have people who pay for a ticket week on week and leave before the end. Some of the games greatest moments have been missed by people who left early. One of its greatest disasters (Ibrox) was caused when a goal was scored in added time and those leaving crushed into those leaving later after they turned on the stairwell.

I am sure there are those who leave Cropredy ahead of the end on Saturday for the same psychological factor as the people who leave football before the end. To beat the rush.

Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #168 on: January 31, 2018, 11:16:33 AM »

Procrastination is the thief of time.

Edward Young "Night Thoughts".

“Never put off till tomorrow what may be done day after tomorrow just as well.”
Mark Twain.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #169 on: January 31, 2018, 11:17:28 AM »

I’ll tell you who would do a great show but empty the field. Marc Almond.  Fez

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #170 on: January 31, 2018, 11:35:41 AM »

I think I'd prefer 70s jazz rockers Mark-Almond.

But I agree, Marc would put on a great show.

How about OMD playing their hits?

Flobbadob!
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #171 on: January 31, 2018, 11:53:39 AM »

I’ll tell you who would do a great show but empty the field. Marc Almond.  Fez

I think he would please the mob and have people stay and enjoy. I don't know about selling tickets though.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #172 on: January 31, 2018, 12:22:33 PM »

How about OMD playing their hits?

I’ve seen that, and it was one of the best hours of my life. They had to be dragged off due to the threat of over-running. You wouldn’t want to have to follow them onstage.

John747

« Reply #173 on: January 31, 2018, 01:31:09 PM »

Palomar Faith was announced for a load of festivals recently. Think she'd go down well on the Thursday!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #174 on: January 31, 2018, 02:58:47 PM »

Palomar Faith was announced for a load of festivals recently. Think she'd go down well on the Thursday!

That would mean I'd get Friday and Saturday tickets and stay on at the fringe on Thursday after watching Merry Hell

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #175 on: January 31, 2018, 03:31:12 PM »

It could be worse. One festival I sometimes go to-Clearwater's Great Hudson River Revival (the festival Pete Seeger started) has since December had tickets for sale with not ONE act announced. Ok they do have people who perform every year- Guy Davis, Toshi Reagon, David Amram....but they have I think 4 stages and a Dance Tent. The festival is in mid-June. Don't you think they would give at least a teaser?

In any event I think some are reading way too much into this delay. There will be surprises, there will be disappointments. There will be surprise disappointments, there will be surprise triumphs. There will be music. There will be food. There will be beer. There will be Fairport Convention. Grab a chair, sit towards the back without obstructions and a ground cloth the size of a building site, and a flag that can be seen in space and relax.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #176 on: January 31, 2018, 03:35:40 PM »

It could be worse. One festival I sometimes go to-Clearwater's Great Hudson River Revival (the festival Pete Seeger started) has since December had tickets for sale with not ONE act announced. Ok they do have people who perform every year- Guy Davis, Toshi Reagon, David Amram....but they have I think 4 stages and a Dance Tent. The festival is in mid-June. Don't you think they would give at least a teaser?

In any event I think some are reading way too much into this delay. There will be surprises, there will be disappointments. There will be surprise disappointments, there will be surprise triumphs. There will be music. There will be food. There will be beer. There will be Fairport Convention. Grab a chair, sit towards the back without obstructions and a ground cloth the size of a building site, and a flag that can be seen in space and relax.

... and there will be friends... lots of friends!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #177 on: January 31, 2018, 04:08:50 PM »

Quote from: Field 7 is Heaven (Trev) link=topic=45463.msg726497#msg726497

What an odd comment - surely most bands tour to promote their new albums. And if you think Catherine the Great, Why Do You Leave Me, Generation Sex and Complete Banker (all played in the first half of the set) are introspective soul searching we have different ideas of what that means.

DW
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #178 on: January 31, 2018, 04:15:42 PM »

I believe bands should tour to promote their album on their own time. At a festival you play the greatest hits and be done with it, maybe slip a couple “...from the new album” somewhere in the middle in case anyone needs to get to the bar and back.
I saw James a couple of years ago and they deigned to throw in ‘Sit Down’ because it was chucking it down and, as Tim Booth said - “You deserve it...”. I thought then, as I do now, that he was a pompous wanker who didn’t deserve my attention for a moment longer. And the new album was s**t.

Tony Mc

Loc: Funky Fareham

« Reply #179 on: January 31, 2018, 04:18:45 PM »

For sheer audience participation and rousing ending to the night, you couldn't beat Trevor Horn and his band. Unfortunately they were not the last band of the night. This caused DC enormous problems because their style is very different. Any other follow up act would have struggled after TH.
Not announcing the acts is not a problem, but it does mean some people hold back from purchasing which has the knock on effect of seeing the slightly higher prices after the Christmas discount. I am sure they do this on purpose to allow die hard Cropredyites to buy a little cheaper, then cash in on the headline acts bringing in the more general punters.

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: