TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:46:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Lord is in this Place  (Read 8454 times)
Simon Withers

« on: October 22, 2017, 09:02:12 PM »

I don’t know if anyone has been watching the Ken Burns series, ‘The Vietnam War’…episode 9 (I think) includes Fairport’s, ‘The Lord is in this Place’...
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 10:35:59 PM »

You don't need to address him so formally. Colin or YaBB will do.

Oh hang on. I see what you mean.  Grin

Paul

mightyglydd
An electric train freak should have no problems

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 02:27:24 AM »

I don’t know if anyone has been watching the Ken Burns series, ‘The Vietnam War’…episode 9 (I think) includes Fairport’s, ‘The Lord is in this Place’...

Yep episode 9, awesome series, at times the soundtrack songs gave me chills....we keep making exactly the same mistakes..
Made the soundtrack CD too. Smiley
https://shop.pbs.org/the-vietnam-war-the-soundtrack-cd/product/VWAR451
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 02:42:46 AM by mightyglydd » Logged
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 10:28:44 AM »

Yep episode 9, awesome series, at times the soundtrack songs gave me chills....we keep making exactly the same mistakes..

A pedant writes.

It was actually episode 8. Episode 9 is on tonight.

It is, as you say, an awesome series and the soundtrack is well chosen and highly atmospheric.

And if there was ever an example of not learning from history and therefore being doomed to repeat it...

Eye opening, jaw dropping and unutterably depressing all at the same time.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 10:30:07 AM »

On what (channel etc)?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 10:54:53 AM »

On what (channel etc)?

BBC 4

If the whole thing is available on I Player, watch from the beginning. The final two episodes are broadcast tonight at, I think, 10pm.
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 12:16:05 PM »

I've not seen any of the series (though I may now take a look), but in the late '80s I knew three Vietnam veterans quite well. This was in a Buddhist monastery where I lived (I know, odd, but let's pass over that)--two of them were by that time senior monks, while the third was a layman. One time we had a massive job on our hands cleaning up after the hurricane in '87, and during a break the two ordained vets were sitting together on a log when a helicopter flew over quite low. Neither said anything, but the looks on their faces as they heard the noise and looked up at it is something I've never forgotten: you could practically see it calling forth all sorts of memories. The third veteran, the layman, said he had seen all the films about Vietnam, and that only the first half of Apocalypse Now got anywhere near conveying the madness of it all.

One of the monks had been sent home after having a portion of his skull shot away with a bullet. He had a very noticeable dent in his head for the rest of his life (made all the more noticeable by the fact that he was bald, of course!). Eventually, as a result of the injury he developed a brain tumour which killed him.
mightyglydd
An electric train freak should have no problems

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 01:36:11 PM »

A little OT but..

Got me thinking, and doing a little research about Fairport's first US tour in 1970. Turbulent times on the campuses.

I came across this.... did a search here and don't think it's been posted before.

https://aquariumdrunkard.com/2015/01/06/fairport-convention-philadelphia-folk-festival-august-29-1970/

A recording of the Philadelphia Folk Festival gig.. The download link's under the review. Enjoy. (Virus Total says the mp3's I scanned are clean)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 10:36:38 AM »

I beg your pardon. It does indeed appear again at the end of Episode 9, which I have just watched.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: