TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:12:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport in Emsworth  (Read 6044 times)
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« on: October 21, 2017, 10:15:10 PM »

Very good concert in Emsworth Baptist Church last night, although it was billed as Fairport Convention, it was really the acoustic line up. Jerry had some interesting stuff. A cajon, and ironically for the acoustic line up, and electronic drum kit.
Lots of favourites of mine, including Genesis Hall, Fotheringay and Crazy Man Michael.
Only down side. I went to order a beer for the interval, and was told that there was no alcohol because it was a church. I did think to myself that if it had be our church, there would have been lots of alcohol.

Paul

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 10:55:13 PM »

Sounds like the kit they took on the Scandinavian tour.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 08:21:49 AM »

Very good concert in Emsworth Baptist Church last night, although it was billed as Fairport Convention, it was really the acoustic line up. Jerry had some interesting stuff. A cajon, and ironically for the acoustic line up, and electronic drum kit.
Lots of favourites of mine, including Genesis Hall, Fotheringay and Crazy Man Michael.
Only down side. I went to order a beer for the interval, and was told that there was no alcohol because it was a church. I did think to myself that if it had be our church, there would have been lots of alcohol.

Paul

At Thommo’s recent gig in Aysgarth church, there was a well-stocked and much-used bar at the back. Still, there perhaps is the difference between the C of E and the Baptists .....
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 12:04:54 PM »

The Union Chapel is acohol free, too. Wendy witnessed one of the artistes at the Fairport 50 gig getting a right dressing down for bringing alcohol onstage.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 02:40:33 PM »

Typical baptist nonsense I'm afraid, Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 07:40:53 PM »

The band (or whoever booked the venue for them) would have known about the alcohol ban when they booked. Quite normal for Baptist churches (& many other nonconformist churches too). I'm a bit surprised there wouldn't have been notices up somewhere informing people, given that the audience would generally expect to have a drink, though.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 10:34:35 PM »

There was a "licenced bar" mentioned on the ticket, although it had been crossed out on some. To be honest, it had been crossed out on mine, but I thought I would try anyway.  Grin Trouble is, despite the large number of pubs in Emsworth, it was nowhere near any of them.  Roll Eyes

Paul

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: