TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:05:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport in Quadraphonic?  (Read 20370 times)
Harping Kevin

« on: September 03, 2017, 05:51:05 PM »

You might need to be of a certain age on this one!

Did FC ever release quadraphonic versions of any of thier albums!

Another hobby of mine is quad and I've never come across  and references.

Any help great fully received
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 06:26:26 PM »

Pretty sure not. The (brief) heyday of quad was about 1979 but it was expensive to produce and quad sound setups were rare indeed.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Harping Kevin

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 07:18:15 PM »

Some guys have done some great software decodes which have much better separation than the hardware decoders, great fun!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 07:43:39 PM »

Pretty sure not. The (brief) heyday of quad was about 1979 but it was expensive to produce and quad sound setups were rare indeed.

I would have said a bit earlier probably around 73, when Quadrophenia toured in quadrophonic sound. I have to say it wasn't great especially if your seat was near the pa that was doing the sea effects because that was all you could hear, even at a who show. Wasn't Dark side of the moon one of the first quad releases? I seem to remember the quad rack in hmv Manchester was mostly program stuff which I wasn't into.
    I'm pretty certain FC never dipped a tentative toe into the pool of quad.they never sold enough for the labels to take a chance. In fact I dont remember any quad releases on Island.  
     As always, feel free to put me right.

The Dude abides
Harping Kevin

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 08:02:04 PM »

I think you are right, I've done lots of research to no avail.
DSOTM was an early release, the immersion set has the original quad mix ,on it as well as the SACD 5.1 mix. Wish you were here had the same treatment.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 08:03:52 PM »

This site claims to list all known quadrophonic recordings in different formats. No sign of Fairport or the 'oo.

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 08:10:25 PM »

This site claims to list all known quadrophonic recordings in different formats. No sign of Fairport or the 'oo.

Ah! I must admit I dont remember quadrophenia itself coming out in quad but they definitely toured with a quad set up. Read the Who's Wikipedia page for a brief resume of the sound problems on that tour. I must have caught them on one of the better nights Shocked Roll Eyes

The Dude abides
Harping Kevin

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 08:27:00 PM »

As ever there is debate on what quadraphenia was released as, http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?1798-The-Who-Quadrophenia-QS-Quad-Mix is worth a   read.
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 10:28:37 PM »

I remember our music teacher had a quadraphonic system in the music room. Unfortunately, he only had the demo record, which mainly appeared to be racing cars racing round the room.

Paul

Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 10:40:32 PM »

Super Audio CD (SACD) and Audio DVD 5.1 versions of DSOTM definitely exist, they've been remixed so the whole album is 5.1 (as opposed to the original two quad tracks, "Brain Damage" & "Eclipse") and, with the right setup, it's grand (I have the SACD version). Atom Heart Mother was mixed in quad but I'm unsure any modern version exists. Quad WYWH exists on BluRay, but the 5.1 remix is/was available in SACD and Audio DVD.

I've never heard a quad Quadrophenia and don't think much would be gained by that, anyhow.

Anyhow, back to the subject, which is Fairport in quad. Ask Simon for a definitive answer.

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 10:49:55 PM »

AHM and also Echoes quad mixes are on the Early Years box set....I couldn't tell you if they have been folded down to stereo while retaining the mix, or if they play in quad.
As an aside, there is a guy who is a sound engineer by trade who is putting together a quad mix of audience recordings from the 1977 In The Flesh tour...could be good.....

Well I never did..
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 06:05:46 AM »

It just seems that the music of Fairport Convention would not be enhanced by the quadraphonic mix.

I have never heard of such a thing but as Andy says ask Simon.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 10:30:24 AM »

I would have said a bit earlier probably around 73, when Quadrophenia toured in quadrophonic sound. I have to say it wasn't great especially if your seat was near the pa that was doing the sea effects because that was all you could hear, even at a who show. Wasn't Dark side of the moon one of the first quad releases? I seem to remember the quad rack in hmv Manchester was mostly program stuff which I wasn't into.
    I'm pretty certain FC never dipped a tentative toe into the pool of quad.they never sold enough for the labels to take a chance. In fact I dont remember any quad releases on Island.  

Yes, I thought of 1973 too, for similar reasons. I believe the original plan was to mix the album in quadrophonic, but that it appeared too difficult. By the way, seeing (what's left of) The Who perform Quadrophenia live in 2013 was the absolute highlight of my gig-going career.
Harping Kevin

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 10:48:04 AM »

I have the immersion editions of both DSOTM and WYWH (for my 50th) and they are indeed fine mixes, also got the recent  box set of Sgt Pepper's and it is also a fine piece of     work, but yes.....

By Simon do you mean Simon Nicol? How would I get in touch with Simon (other than faceBook for example)
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 10:59:31 AM »

Facebook should suffice.

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2017, 12:29:08 PM »

Sorry if this is a daft question but why would Fairport have bothered?

DW
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2017, 12:39:16 PM »

It really isn't the sort of music that warrants it, is it?  And that's definitely not a criticism...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2017, 05:12:53 PM »

Babbacombe Lee might have lent itself well, if they'd decided to add character voices, sound effects, atmospheres etc.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2017, 05:57:09 PM »

Babbacombe Lee might have lent itself well, if they'd decided to add character voices, sound effects, atmospheres etc.

but they didnt

The Dude abides
PeterJ

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2017, 08:44:43 AM »

I accidentally bought a quad copy of Pretzel Logic in 1975. Took it back when it started to penetrate my teenaged brain that it was considerably more expensive than it should have been.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: