TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:00:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yout top 3 special Cropredy 17 moments  (Read 26446 times)
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« on: August 16, 2017, 04:11:34 AM »

I posted a thread like this last year so thought I'd give it another go. This is not for musical highlights nor for gripes, both of which are well covered elsewhere. It's for those positive little things that sum up the spirit of Cropredy - the kind of thing you wouldn't get anywhere else, that make Cropredy special. I could list more, but here's my three:

1) Friday night sitting outside my tent chilling with a beery nightcap, and ended up chatting with a young security guy patrolling between the tents. He was telling me about life in west Wales, the different jobs he gets since joining MH (?), and how Crops was so different from all of them. I filled him in on the whole background to it and the story of the Fairport "family". Meanwhile we were doing star/planet-gazing and watching the meteor shower.

2) The white hanky ritual: I was next to a pair of obvious "virgins" when Digance did his intro, and they looked around them bemused and confused as people started to rummage in their bags. The look on their faces was an unforgettable delight as they looked around and behind them to see an arena full of white hanky dancing. I donated them a couple of "hankies" each and they joined in with gusto.

3) Waiting in the long Fairport signing queue on Friday chatting for half an hour to a Norwegian lad chuffed with his new 50-50 album and looking forward to having it signed. The queue was cut off apologetically just before him (Fairport had to be somewhere else and were already late). Instead of getting flustered or angry or begging and pleading them to let through just one more, he just shrugged resignedly, and when I "shared his pain", he said "I believe everything in life isn't supposed to be perfect. I'm happy the way it is."

What were your top three special Cropredy moments this year?

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 01:05:57 PM »

Ooh this is a good one. The first one is musical, sorry:

1) Divine Comedy, basically the entire set, but specifically To The Rescue, which made me blub a bit, especially with the accordion accompaniment. Would really encourage anyone to seek out a video of this  Cry

2) Sitting up the field with some friends on Saturday, one of whom was about to come out as transgender to the world in two days and enjoyed the security of our wee group; reading the Guardian - my only newspaper of the year - with the sun on my back and the music drifting around...

3) Meet on The Ledge, not the song, but the whole sense of occasion, standing with my fellow travellers after having danced myself into a crazy stupor to everything that wasn't a ballad, then holding the hand of the person next to me, who was on her own, and singing together because moments like that really matter.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 03:00:31 PM »

1 two couples that we know , but who didn't have a clue who each other was, were sitting next to each other and chatting away when Mrs Reg walked past. One said "Theres Jill " and another said "Yes, theres Jill."

2. House of the Setting Sun

3. Anything with Mattacks on it.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 11:39:04 PM »

1. Trevor Horn band - it was the only act of the whole weekend that Mike was looking forward to, and we both loved it!  Cheesy
2. The Ska band at the Red Lion - packed with happy people dancing and grinning like idiots  Grin
3. The tent - our first time camping and it was all a success. The decent weather helped but it could have been so different....  Roll Eyes

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Yorkshire Chris
Did you have a Sloppy Guiseppe?

Loc: Yorkshire (who'd have guessed...!)

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 10:31:02 AM »

1. A great Thursday afternoon spent sitting near two guys with 2 friendly Bassett Hounds

2. 'Reno, Nevada' with Judy & Iain and (nearly) the original '67 line-up

3. The shooting star above the Cropredy stage....magical....!

Many more brilliant moments in our 13th consecutive Cropredy - classic year.

PS. Great thread idea by the way Mr. B
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 12:52:30 PM »

1. Putting the tent up (actually my son did most of the work  Grin ) and finding that, unlike like last year, we had brought the right poles.

2. The first pint at the cricket club on Thursday afternoon.

3. Chatting to a couple of locals who said they always looked forward to the festival weekend.

Others included the toast to absent friends (it was 10 years since I had been with my brother to his last Cropredy, as he died a month later) and just meeting up with some special people.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 05:42:09 PM »

1. Show of Hands. I knew then it was going to be a great weekend.

2. The first knitting solo on the Cropredy stage.

3. Richard's guitar playing and especially Sloth. It brought a tear to my eye, I was enjoying the set so much, and then the next minute they started singing "Don't you cry, don't you cry".
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 06:43:13 PM »

(1) The Fairport Saturday set...So lucky and such a privilege to witness this...

(2) Receiving a text message from my best and dearest friend wishing me a happy Cropredy...She lives and works in France these days, but we first met at Cropredy 15 years ago, so a anniversary of sorts...  

(3) Leonese Feast...I'd not had one of these for a couple of years...It was lovely...
vince42

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 11:27:46 PM »

Caught Ashley Hutchings and friends show at the village hall Friday- perfect!

RT on Friday - first time I've seen him play live and totally blown away - hope it will not be the last.

Bacon Vodka - courtesy of the party seated in front of us on Saturday - honestly not as bad as you'd think!

Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 12:37:46 AM »

1- after the worst journey in 28 years arriving to find ourselves in our best ever camping spot.
2 -the early FC set, the music I first fell in love with and to.
3 -at the end of an exhilarating set of morris tunes my small grandaughter turning to me with a huge grin, "this is the best music ever", and it was!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 08:22:09 AM »

1- after the worst journey in 28 years arriving to find ourselves in our best ever camping spot.
2 -the early FC set, the music I first fell in love with and to.
3 -at the end of an exhilarating set of morris tunes my small grandaughter turning to me with a huge grin, "this is the best music ever", and it was!

Where was that?  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 09:32:10 AM »

Smiley Middle field 2 with lovely neighbours
PeterJ

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 09:49:56 AM »

1. Arriving in plenty of time to get set up, but relaxing with a beer to such an extent that I missed the start AGAIN!

2. RT's very special backing band.

3. The cricket on Sunday, the Visitors going well and RT padded up and ready. Sneaked a few pics of the great man in

the nets.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 09:54:09 AM »

1. Arriving in plenty of time to get set up, but relaxing with a beer to such an extent that I missed the start AGAIN!

3. The cricket on Sunday, the Visitors going well and RT padded up and ready. Sneaked a few pics of the great man in

the nets.

Tease.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PeterJ

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 10:01:00 AM »

the nets.

Tease.

It takes me more than a week to get stuff off the camera and onto the confuser.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 10:10:36 AM »

Who won the cricket & by how many?

PeterJ

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 11:19:45 AM »

I was hoping nobody would ask that. I came away thinking that Cropredy won by a hairsbreadth, however, a chap on Facebook whose name escapes me, said it was a draw. I don't know the SP for village cricket, but surely he means a tie(?). It's a problem I have with the modern world, I keep expecting an action replay.
PeterJ

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2017, 11:29:06 AM »

I was hoping nobody would ask that. I came away thinking that Cropredy won by a hairsbreadth, however, a chap on Facebook whose name escapes me, said it was a draw. I don't know the SP for village cricket, but surely he means a tie(?). It's a problem I have with the modern world, I keep expecting an action replay.

He actually said "a draw, (sort of)". I've messaged him to try to sort out this very important question.
PeterJ

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2017, 11:37:59 AM »

He actually said "a draw, (sort of)". I've messaged him to try to sort out this very important question.

Here we go from Jez
"Cropredy set us 160 runs. We scored 155-5, which, with judicious use of Duckworth-Lewis, was claimed as a draw!"
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 12:01:07 PM »

1) The annual meet-up with friends, TAW folk and people who know me but I cannot recall meeting them ever.

2) Being thanked for our efforts in sorting out tickets for Crops on the big screen (if anyone has a better screen shot please email it to me)

3) Photographing a handfasting wedding on Saturday afternoon in Field 8, where a lovely time was had by all.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:19:02 PM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: