TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:45:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard Thompson  (Read 39756 times)
Tony Smith

Loc: Oxton, Wirral

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2017, 11:26:07 PM »

His appearances were the highlight of my weekend

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)
barton cobbler

Loc: Earls Barton ,Northamptonshire

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 11:40:35 PM »

My wife has never been a fan of RT, but after that set on Friday her description was "Incredible" and I couldn't agree more.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2017, 12:13:39 AM »

Utterly fab throughout the week, from warmups* to Morris On to Meet On The Ledge.

*Having said that, he completely cocked up Poor Will... at the Tuesday warmup but had a smile from ear to ear.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
flossiefiddler

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 09:14:32 AM »

Fantastic set. What a stunning guitarist. I would even enjoy watching him play if the sound was off.

Not sure what CC was up to at one point. It looked like she was looking for cues to the lyrics. A momentary lapse of memory? She has a great voice though and complemented RT very well.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2017, 09:17:35 AM »

Fantastic set. What a stunning guitarist. I would even enjoy watching him play if the sound was off.

Not sure what CC was up to at one point. It looked like she was looking for cues to the lyrics. A momentary lapse of memory? She has a great voice though and complimented RT very well.
"Complemented". Grin

But yes, CC was great but looked to be in catchup mode.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
flossiefiddler

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2017, 09:23:31 AM »

Smiley Edited, thanks. Carnt spel
Danny_C

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2017, 10:01:14 AM »

A stunning set both the solo section and when they came together as a band.  The set list was excellent (and yes I did want Beeswing as previously mentioned) but 52 Vincent did cause the lady in front of me to break into tears so he was truly on form.

Highlight of the day and why many people stayed through Pet Clarke's set.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2017, 10:26:31 AM »

I seem to remember the SOTL Strat having a maple neck rather than a rosewood capped one...but I may be completely wrong... Undecided

I'll get my anorak... Roll Eyes

This is exactly the level of Geekery required here.  Cheesy

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2017, 10:30:46 AM »

Really wanted to see the whole set but had to go after 20 or so minutes as I was suffering from a hypoglycaemic attack so was too unwell to stay....what I did see was great though

Born to Run (but not very fast)
stvernon (simon)

Loc: Cheshire

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2017, 11:48:27 AM »

Im sure I read somewhere that Clive Gregson was due to play in Richards band. Was this true, and if so, why didn't he?
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2017, 12:20:34 PM »

I don't think so. I don't believe you'd find him and Christine Collister sharing the stage these days, unfortunately.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pastieboy (Trev)
Cookie Monster
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: grantham

Remember me I'm still your native son.

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2017, 08:35:12 PM »

That Thompson bloke is a genius . Im so envious of his sheer talent . Fortunately he has inspired me to practice harder/a lot harder . He could easily have caused me to give up playing guitar all together as Im nowhere near him skill wise and never likely to be  . I do own a Lowden guitar not too dissimilar to his so  I can claim something in common with him . Utterly superb from start to finnish .

You are what you eat !!!
Wandering Steve

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2017, 09:06:54 AM »

Really wanted to see the whole set but had to go after 20 or so minutes as I was suffering from a hypoglycaemic attack so was too unwell to stay....what I did see was great though

Hi there.
I'm insulin dependent myself and I remember my first diabetic so to speak cropredy seven years back.
I inject six times a day and did so as normal after checking my levels but found I kept dropping low and was on the verge of hypos on a couple of occasions.
On returning home I talked it through with my doctor who explained that basically because I was constantly walking/moving my sugar levels would drop really quickly and I'd have to be careful.
Maybe you are having the same effect.
There was however one massive upside.
Throughout subsequent cropredys I've been able to eat and drink whatever I like without my levels going up.
Throughout this festival I just injected twice a day(one morning,one evening) and went on a food and drink binge.
Pizza
Halloumi wraps
Macoroni cheese
Hot dogs
Crepes
All washed down with lashings of real ale and cider(something I'm obviously unable to do at any other time)
So for me cropredy is not only about the music...
It's a gastronomic delight!!
I did once comment to my doctor about this situation and asked if I could get nhs funding to constantly attend festivals each weekend but as yet none has been forthcoming.!!

I hope you are feeling better now as hypos are very nasty and hard to explain unless you are diabetic(imagine the most drunk you've ever felt and multiply it by ten and start losing consciousness)
My advice
Next year throw all the rules out the window and eat and drink what you like,keep a check on your levels and only inject if you go high(you'll be amazed that you don't if you keep moving)
Best wishes and stay healthy
Steve.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2017, 09:28:37 AM »

Hi there.
I'm insulin dependent myself and I remember my first diabetic so to speak cropredy seven years back.
I inject six times a day and did so as normal after checking my levels but found I kept dropping low and was on the verge of hypos on a couple of occasions.
On returning home I talked it through with my doctor who explained that basically because I was constantly walking/moving my sugar levels would drop really quickly and I'd have to be careful.
Maybe you are having the same effect.
There was however one massive upside.
Throughout subsequent cropredys I've been able to eat and drink whatever I like without my levels going up.
Throughout this festival I just injected twice a day(one morning,one evening) and went on a food and drink binge.
Pizza
Halloumi wraps
Macoroni cheese
Hot dogs
Crepes
All washed down with lashings of real ale and cider(something I'm obviously unable to do at any other time)
So for me cropredy is not only about the music...
It's a gastronomic delight!!
I did once comment to my doctor about this situation and asked if I could get nhs funding to constantly attend festivals each weekend but as yet none has been forthcoming.!!

I hope you are feeling better now as hypos are very nasty and hard to explain unless you are diabetic(imagine the most drunk you've ever felt and multiply it by ten and start losing consciousness)
My advice
Next year throw all the rules out the window and eat and drink what you like,keep a check on your levels and only inject if you go high(you'll be amazed that you don't if you keep moving)
Best wishes and stay healthy
Steve.

Hi Steve

Great to hear from you! Been type 1 diabetic for 45 years but unfortunately I'm not as flexible re jabs/eating/drinking etc although I don't do too bad  Grin Got a few other issues to consider (kidney transplant etc) but generally OK. Great idea about NHS funding for festival going, maybe we can start a petition?

Looking forward to next year's Cropredy already

Cheers

Chris

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Laurence86

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2017, 09:56:27 AM »

Thought the RT set was great as always.

As he was about to start a group next to my group left and as they did one of them said "I hope you enjoy Richard Thompson, I cant stand him myself I think he is the Leonard Cohen of folk music" and off he went.

To which a friend of mine said "isn't Leonard Cohen the Leonard Cohen of folk music?............. Actually I like Leonard Cohen so he is wrong on both counts".
Roy C

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2017, 11:22:05 PM »

Fantastic set, and only a part of RT's contribution to the weekend. I dont think I've ever enjoyed him more.
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2017, 06:03:35 PM »

Fantastic set, and only a part of RT's contribution to the weekend. I dont think I've ever enjoyed him more.

seconded!!

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2017, 05:04:40 PM »

Oddly, I was surprised to find myself a little disappointed with the start of his solo set and couldn't work out why.
It wasn't his playing (how could it be that ?) It wasn't the songs, some of my favourites in there, (VBL, Persuasion - I once wrote a set of lyrics for that after hearing Sweet Talker, for my folk band, but he chose to go with some Kiwi bloke from Crowded Enz or Split House or something - oh well, his loss  Smiley).
Then I figured it out - from the pre-festival promo, I was expecting the Hand Of Kindness line up (near enough) for the whole thing - and once the guys (and gal) came on, it kicked up a gear. What a fabulous bunch of musicians. I hope we don't have to wait so long for R.T to appear at Croppers again.

Well I never did..
Fegg

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2017, 08:10:32 PM »

This was one of RT's best sets, IMHO, particularly once he picked up the Strat...
As a photographer, I was thrilled to see him looking up and out at the audience, enhanced by the footlights.

[attachment deleted by admin]
PeterJ

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2017, 08:29:57 PM »

Oddly, I was surprised to find myself a little disappointed with the start of his solo set and couldn't work out why.
It wasn't his playing (how could it be that ?) It wasn't the songs, some of my favourites in there, (VBL, Persuasion - I once wrote a set of lyrics for that after hearing Sweet Talker, for my folk band, but he chose to go with some Kiwi bloke from Crowded Enz or Split House or something - oh well, his loss  Smiley).
Then I figured it out - from the pre-festival promo, I was expecting the Hand Of Kindness line up (near enough) for the whole thing - and once the guys (and gal) came on, it kicked up a gear. What a fabulous bunch of musicians. I hope we don't have to wait so long for R.T to appear at Croppers again.

I'm pretty much in accord with all of that. I much prefer him with a band anyway, and the pre-publicity had led me to assume that he wouldn't be solo at all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: