TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:34:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 119607 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2017, 12:57:58 PM »

They were OK but that's all. Hogarth was drunk but delivered the goods as soon as he started singing, which is all that matters. Better than last time but not as good as Fish was the year after.

I couldn't care less about swearing as long as it's not delivered at me personally. I've seen Ben Folds too many times to worry about it!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2017, 05:01:37 PM »

Disappointing. Saw them a load of times when Fish was leading them but a drunk Steve Hogarth (or whatever he was on) turned me right off and I don't think any of the Hogarth-era songs match the Fish-era songs.... so it was totally Fugazi  Wink

but it's a different band and has been for many years, i initially couldn't take to Hogarth because i'm a big fan of the Fish era Marillion and his solo stuff, but i kept listening and realised it was my issue..I've always said they shouldn't have kept the name......................I have loved seeing Marillion and Fish at Cropredy and elsewhere - but they are not the same thing.

it'll be fine.......
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2017, 05:11:46 PM »

Disappointing. Saw them a load of times when Fish was leading them but a drunk Steve Hogarth (or whatever he was on) turned me right off and I don't think any of the Hogarth-era songs match the Fish-era songs.... so it was totally Fugazi  Wink

but it's a different band and has been for many years, i initially couldn't take to Hogarth because i'm a big fan of the Fish era Marillion and his solo stuff, but i kept listening and realised it was my issue..I've always said they shouldn't have kept the name......................I have loved seeing Marillion and Fish at Cropredy and elsewhere - but they are not the same thing.

But they were the same thing and that's when I enjoyed seeing them. I realise that things have changed (except for Steve Rothery who remains an excellent guitarist) but all I was saying was that the 'new' band....albeit nearly 30 years old now...is not my cup of tea...just my view and I'm happy for anyone to like whatever they want to. So, like you, it is my issue  Embarrassed

Born to Run (but not very fast)
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2017, 05:18:02 PM »

But they were the same thing and that's when I enjoyed seeing them. I realise that things have changed (except for Steve Rothery who remains an excellent guitarist) but all I was saying was that the 'new' band....albeit nearly 30 years old now...is not my cup of tea...just my view and I'm happy for anyone to like whatever they want to. So, like you, it is my issue  Embarrassed

everything changes.....i wasn't there this year so can not comment on their show but i loved them last time.  i'd love to see Fish do Clutching, I was very emotional to see Misplaced.

it'll be fine.......
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2017, 05:30:52 PM »

everything changes.....i wasn't there this year so can not comment on their show but i loved them last time.  i'd love to see Fish do Clutching, I was very emotional to see Misplaced.

That was the last time I actually saw Fish and Marillion as I was regrettably absent from Cropredy during their previous respective appearances (think the Clutching at Straws tour was 1984 and I saw them at Hammersmith Odeon....God I'm getting old). Guess I too am emotional about those halcyon days  Smiley

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Russell Dobbins
n3wb

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2017, 08:08:26 PM »

"Prog masters". No, sorry, I don't think so. If we're talking giants of Brit prog rock then ELP (RIP Emerson and Lake), Gabriel-era Genesis, Yes and Jethro Tull would be up there.

Best

Russell  
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2017, 10:11:26 PM »

i am a big Tull fan but i haven't seen them play well  live since i was pregnant and she is now 19 yrs old.
they are played regularly at home.

there is a time to quit.

it'll be fine.......
Mike Tamlin

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2017, 12:37:52 AM »

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool 'Marillion-head' so rushed down for a place in the 'mosh pit' leaving the better half, a definite Fish-era only fan, behind up the hill.

For me, their set was one of the best of the weekend. However, I fully understand why they would not be to everyone's taste ...

... and I too am somewhat bemused by 'H's' behaviour - he was worse in 2014 - but he was the same when I saw them in Cardiff last year - go figure ...

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2017, 11:08:49 AM »

I've not really paid much attention to Marillion for the last 30 years or so - not due to any Fish/Hogarth thing, just changing circumstance and musical taste (I had my record collection nicked as a student and I only replaced about 10% of the albums I'd owned previously). Up until then I'd been quite a fan - if you look carefully you can see me in the Hooks In You Video, and I'm quite prominent in the Live at Lorelley film  Cool

I thought this set was brilliant. It has made me want to investigate the back catalogue and catch up with stuff I've missed. And I enjoyed Steve Hogarth's meandering madness; hats off to him!

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2017, 11:50:49 AM »

I can't seem to find it now, but someone on Facebook had shared a posting Steve Hogarth had put up stating that he woke up in a cold sweat in the early hours after the gig realising what a prat he had been onstage. He did seem to be genuinely remorseful!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2017, 12:38:38 PM »

I can't seem to find it now, but someone on Facebook had shared a posting Steve Hogarth had put up stating that he woke up in a cold sweat in the early hours after the gig realising what a prat he had been onstage. He did seem to be genuinely remorseful!

he needs to lay off the pop before going onstage then

The Dude abides
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2017, 12:53:43 PM »

Took to front of that stage with prog-fan child, and we both thoroughly enjoyed the show, despite an uber-fan waving his arms over us, and a very drunk woman desperately needing a wee for most of the set. I commented after that I hadn't really known any of the songs, but had probably enjoyed it all the more for discovering more of Marillion's ouvre - will definitely be buying their latest album now.

Steve Hogarth may have appeared "refreshed" but he also loves performing at Cropredy, and has a wicked sense of humour, which really came over near the stage. Admittedly they are a fans band without the hits, but cannot be faulted for the quality of their playing, Steve's singing, and the depth of their lyrics. I go to Cropredy to hear new things, and they delivered  Smiley

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2017, 01:20:33 PM »

will definitely be buying their latest album now.

I'd highly recommend it - it's an excellent album.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2017, 01:24:16 PM »

Agreed. I've been listening to a fair bit of post-Fish Marillion in preparation for Cropredy. I'd also recommend Brave and Marbles.
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2017, 01:45:52 PM »

Agreed. I've been listening to a fair bit of post-Fish Marillion in preparation for Cropredy. I'd also recommend Brave and Marbles.

Got Marbles. Angelina makes me feel all existential  Shocked

www.underminers.org
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2017, 04:44:08 PM »

This is the full quote:

"First of all, I apologise for the language. I did wake up in the middle of the night on Saturday in a cold sweat over some of the things I’d said from the stage. You’re right - I could have done without resorting to the f word quite so much.

I live fairly local to the village of Cropredy and quite a few of my friends are farmers, so those comments were meant in fun and in their direction. I received texts later from one or two of them and they took my jibes in the spirit I had meant them"

But given Fairport wrote the Sailor's Alphabet (the proper version), it's a moot point  Cheesy

www.underminers.org
medler (Neil)

Loc: South Shropshire

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2017, 04:27:28 PM »

This is the full quote:

"First of all, I apologise for the language. I did wake up in the middle of the night on Saturday in a cold sweat over some of the things I’d said from the stage. You’re right - I could have done without resorting to the f word quite so much.

I live fairly local to the village of Cropredy and quite a few of my friends are farmers, so those comments were meant in fun and in their direction. I received texts later from one or two of them and they took my jibes in the spirit I had meant them"

But given Fairport wrote the Sailor's Alphabet (the proper version), it's a moot point  Cheesy

Fair play to him for putting that up. At least he realises it!
Diggers71

Loc: Dundee, Scotland

« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2017, 10:49:06 PM »

Fish is touring with Clutching... at the end of the year. Perhaps he will make a Cropredy appearance next year? I hope so/
vince42

« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2017, 11:05:00 PM »

I enjoyed the set up to a point but did find the first half or so quite repetitive style wise.  As a long term Fish fan I've not gone out of my way to see the band so I suppose I can mark this up as completed business.  Fine musicians and Mr Hogarth has a fine voice - unfortunately it just doesn't move me.  I guess I like a different kind of self indulgence...
Roy C

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2017, 11:11:22 PM »

Being a Fish-era fan, was open to enjoying the new album stuff live. Sadly Hogarth's antics rather put me off the whole thing. Felt he let down the rest of the band who did a fine job, as well as the big Marillion fans in my party. A real shame.

As an aside, I would recommend the tribute band Stillmarillion who do Fish-era Marillion extremely well.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: