TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:13:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burns "Transforming Folk" book  (Read 8282 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« on: July 02, 2017, 11:55:52 AM »

Anyone else know of this?

Robert G H Burns
Transforming Folk - Innovation and Tradition in English Folk-Rock Music
Published by Manchester University Press in 2012 at, gulp, £65 (and now on sale from them at £70!)?

Robert G H Burns examines commercial and political aspects of the changing folk music industry, provides musicological analysis of the Ebglish folk-rock hybrid and discusses audiences' reception of the genre.

According to the blurb it "contains contributions from Martin Carthy (The Imagined Village), Simon Nicol (Fairport Convention), Ashley Hutchings (The Albion Band), Gerry Conway (Fairport Convention) and Rick Kemp (Steeleye Span)."

Anyway, I was browsing away through the Postscript books mailorder catalogue and they're selling it at only £12.99.  Easiest way to get a copy without having to sign up etc is via Amazon marketplace.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transforming-Folk-Innovation-Tradition-Folk-rock/dp/0719085330/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498992537&sr=8-1&keywords=burns+transforming+folk

It's in Postscript's "Limited Quantities only/Academic" section so (probably?) don't hang around if you want one.  I've purchased one, but haven't yet seen one.  It sounds as dry as a very dry thing, but you never know.....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 12:36:32 PM »

Sounds like the man's Phd thesis. Good luck!
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 07:29:05 PM »

Sounds like the man's Phd thesis. Good luck!

It does indeed. That's the sort of price that academic books sell for, just, I suppose, because hardly anyone buys them. Makes things expensive for those of us who work in academia, and occasionally need to buy them!

Just looked at the missus's most recent musicological work on Amazon, and it's going for £86.49. If that's not steep enough, I notice her first book is currently going for £240.93!
Peter H-K

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 08:43:18 PM »

Actually, just had a look at it: as he's already a Senior Lecturer, it's probably not his PhD thesis, but just a monograph he's produced as part of his job.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 08:16:55 AM »

Actually, just had a look at it: as he's already a Senior Lecturer, it's probably not his PhD thesis, but just a monograph he's produced as part of his job.

That's a little harsh  Wink

At £12.99 I think it's worth a shot.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Peter H-K

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 08:30:03 AM »

That's a little harsh  Wink

At £12.99 I think it's worth a shot.

Ah yes, it does look it doesn't it?! Badly worded by me: I meant 'not his thesis but instead simply a book he's produced'.
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 09:23:33 AM »

I notice he has written a few journal articles on the same subject.."Continuity, Variation, and Authenticity in the English Folk-rock Movement" for example.  also on other things such as German Symbolism in Rock Music: National Signification in the Imagery and Songs of Rammstein! He was session bassist with Steeleye and fairport. He's on facebook if you're interested as Rob Burns and Jude and Simon are his friends! Jude may know more about his book...

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 10:39:37 AM »

I notice he has written a few journal articles on the same subject.."Continuity, Variation, and Authenticity in the English Folk-rock Movement" for example.  also on other things such as German Symbolism in Rock Music: National Signification in the Imagery and Songs of Rammstein! He was session bassist with Steeleye and fairport. He's on facebook if you're interested as Rob Burns and Jude and Simon are his friends! Jude may know more about his book...

Oh I didn't realise it was that Rob Burns. Lovely man.. Has the highest credentials as a bass player if you check out his Wikipedia page
He's played with so many great musicians from Miles Davis to David Gilmour  and all stations in between. Now a lecturer in New Zealand  Grin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Burns

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 10:13:06 AM »

Oh I didn't realise it was that Rob Burns. Lovely man.. Has the highest credentials as a bass player if you check out his Wikipedia page
He's played with so many great musicians from Miles Davis to David Gilmour  and all stations in between. Now a lecturer in New Zealand  Grin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Burns

yes the very same. he seems a fascinating bloke.... Grin

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: