TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 18, 2024, 05:50:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sandy Denny Blue Plaque  (Read 8137 times)
AngieH
I shall be in a box

« on: June 14, 2017, 11:01:09 AM »

I just saw this tweet, and thought some here might be interested https://twitter.com/rocking_bob/status/874900265375322112
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 11:40:35 AM »

From the BBC

BBC Radio Northampton invites you to join us in Byfield Village... As part of BBC Music Day, we pay tribute to Sandy Denny, influential folk singer-songwriter, who played her last gig in Byfield Village Hall, before her untimely death aged 31.

She played with Fairport Convention before setting up her own band, Fotheringay.

We'll have folk musicians, PJ Wright, Marion Fleetwood, Gregg Cave, Linda Watkins performing Sandy's music, music inspired by her, as well as their own tracks, and Helen Blaby is broadcasting live from and about the village Sandy latterly called home.

This event is unticketed. Please park sensibly in the village.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1422637957798701/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05414xt

Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 03:08:47 PM »

I just saw this tweet, and thought some here might be interested https://twitter.com/rocking_bob/status/874900265375322112

Here's the complete list of people receiving blue plaques. Some very deserving names here.

1. BBC Radio Berkshire – John Lennon and Paul McCartney, who played their only gig as The Nerk Twins at the Fox and Hounds in Caversham.

2. BBC Radio Bristol – The Bamboo Club, between 1966-1977, the home of ska, reggae and blue beat. Bob Marley, Ben E King, Desmond Dekker, Percy Sledge and Jimmy Cliff played here.

3. BBC Radio Cambridgeshire – Roger Keith ‘Syd’ Barrett, musician, songwriter, artist and founder member of Pink Floyd.

4. BBC Radio Cornwall – Brenda Wootton, Cornish poet, singer and ambassador for Cornish music and culture.

5. BBC Radio Coventry – Delia Derbyshire, BBC Radiophonic Workshop pioneer who influenced the course of electronic music, and composer of the Doctor Who theme tune.

6. BBC Radio Cumbria – Kathleen Mary Ferrier - Internationally-famous contralto.

7. BBC Radio Derby – Kevin Coyne, influential musician, composer, lyricist and painter.

8. BBC Radio Devon – Sidmouth Folk Festival, the internationally-renowned festival, an annual celebration of folk music, dance and song held, was founded in the town in 1955.

9. BBC Essex – Steve Marriott, singer, songwriter and vocalist with The Small Faces and Humble Pie.

10. BBC Radio Gloucestershire – John Entwistle, founder member and bass player with The Who.

11. BBC Radio Guernsey – Domenico Eusanio Santagelo, composed the music for the Island’s anthem Sarnia Cherie, (Dear Guernsey) in 1911 and was founder member of the Guernsey Music Society in 1920.

12. BBC Hereford & Worcester – John Bonham, drummer with Led Zeppelin who sold over 200 million albums.

13. BBC Radio Humberside – Spiders from Mars, Mick Ronson, Trevor Bolder and Mick ‘Woody Woodmansey, David Bowie’s backing band in 1970s.

14. BBC Radio Jersey – John Lobb and Family Their choirs, notably the Jersey Festival Choir, have performed on the Island for over 60 years.

15. BBC Radio Kent – David Bowie, Bowie was a member of Maidstone group The Manish Boys during 1964-65.

16. BBC Radio Lancashire – Alfie Boe, internationally-acclaimed operatic tenor gave his first public performance at the Marine Hall in Fleetwood in 1987 at the age of 14.

17. BBC Radio Leeds – Angela Morley, born Walter “Wally” Stott, Emmy Award winning composer and conductor for radio, television and film.

18. BBC Radio Leicester – Eric Pinkett, founder of Leicestershire County School of Music and Leicestershire Schools Symphony Orchestra.

19. BBC Radio Lincolnshire – Sir Neville Marriner, Violinist and one of the world’s greatest conductors.

20. BBC Radio Lincolnshire – The Gliderdrome. Otis Redding, Strawbs, Stevie Wonder, Elton John and T. Rex all played here.

21. BBC Radio London – David Bowie, recorded his multi-million selling albums Hunky Dory and The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust at Trident Studios in Soho.

22. BBC Radio London – Emile Ford, singer, producer and sound scientist was the first black British male artist to have a No1 hit and a million-seller.

23. BBC Radio Manchester – Factory Records (1978-1992) founded by Alan Erasmus and Tony Wilson, home to Joy Division, New Order and the Happy Mondays.

24. BBC Radio Merseyside – Eric’s (1976-1980), where Deaf School, Talking Heads, The Clash, The Police, Ramones, Echo and the Bunnymen and Wah Heat all performed.

25. BBC Newcastle – Mayfair Ballroom site 1961-1999, where the band that became Led Zeppelin made their UK debut.

26. BBC Radio Norfolk – Norwich Arts Centre, opened in 1977 and named ‘Britain’s Best Small Venue’ by the NME.

27. BBC Radio Northampton – Alexandra Elene MacLean ‘Sandy’ Denny, folk singer/songwriter with Fairport Convention.

28. BBC Radio Nottingham – Constance Shacklock, contralto with Covent Garden Opera Company, Royal Academy of Music.

29. BBC Radio Oxford – Chipping Norton Recording Studios, between 1971-1999 Status Quo, XTC, Gerry Rafferty, Duran Duran, Steve Winwood, Beverley Craven and Radiohead all recorded here.

30. BBC Radio Sheffield – Grimethorpe Colliery Band, the world-renowned brass band founded in 1917

31. BBC Radio Shropshire –Jeremiah Patrick ‘Jerry’ Lordan, songwriter who wrote Apache, Wonderful Land, and many other hits for The Shadows, Cliff Richard (unveiled on 4 June).

32. BBC Radio Solent – Harbour Lights, inspired by the sea view in 1937, Jimmy Kennedy songwriter wrote the song that’s been recorded by Elvis Presley, Bing Crosby, The Platters and over 100 other artists.

33. BBC Radio Somerset – Cecil Sharp, who collected and saved thousands of British folk songs – including Blow Away the Morning Dew and Banks of Green Willow.

34. BBC Radio Stoke – Ian Fraser 'Lemmy' Kilmister, Motörhead founder and singer, whose song Ace of Spades has been adopted by Port Vale FC

35. BBC Radio Suffolk – John Robert Parker Ravenscroft aka John Peel, pioneering and influential Radio One broadcaster.

36. BBC Surrey - Richard John ‘Rick’ Parfitt, Guitarist, singer, songwriter and member of Status Quo for fifty years.

37. BBC Sussex – Abba, Abba launched their career after winning the 19th Eurovision Song Contest for Sweden at Brighton Dome on 6th April 1974

38. BBC Tees – The Globe Theatre where Bruce Welch and Brian Bennett wrote the iconic song Summer Holiday in 1962.

39. BBC Three Counties Radio – The Control Room, one of seven venues in Bedford used by the BBC for the Somewhere in Britain broadcasts during WW2.

40. BBC Three Counties Radio - The Stables, founded by Sir John Dankworth and Dame Cleo Laine, first performance on 6 February 1970 (unveiled later in June).

41. BBC Three Counties Radio – Watford Colosseum, built in 1938 the soundtracks for films including The Sound of Music and Lord of the Rings. (unveiled later in June).

42. BBC Radio Wiltshire – Buddy Holly & the Crickets played at the Gaumont in Salisbury in 1958.

43. BBC WM – Nicholas Rodney ‘Nick’ Drake, singer, songwriter and poet.

44. BBC Radio York – Brawby Village Hall, the home of The Shed, where artists from around the world performed.

45. Asian Network - Haroon Shamsher, founder of pioneering collective Joi.

46. Asian Network – Saifullah ‘Sam’ Zaman, aka State Of Bengal.

47. Asian Network - Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (unveiled on 16 August)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 03:37:01 PM »

Hmmm - these obviously aren't the Blue Plaques we see elsewhere - they commemorate *dead* people, I thought - and some of the above certainly are still alive and, indeed, some are buildings, not people (nor commemorating events by people in these buildings)

Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 04:07:01 PM »

Great to see Kevin Coyne on the list.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 07:09:49 PM »

Excellent afternoon at the unveiling. PJ Wright, Marion Fleetwood, Gregg Cave, Sally Barker & Linda Watkins all performed splendidly for a couple of hours outside Byfield Village Hall. Pity I could only stay an hour, or so, but well worth the effort.  Smiley

BBC broadcast here;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05414xt

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 10:58:38 PM »

Unfortunately I didn't get there until PJ and Sally had finished, but I had a lovely two hours in the sun, listening to good music.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 11:36:20 PM »

Any of Fairport there?
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 07:35:13 AM »

Any of Fairport there?

Not that I saw.

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: