TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:43:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Iain Matthews reissues ahoy!  (Read 8053 times)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« on: March 09, 2017, 11:56:44 AM »

Matthews’ two solo albums for Elektra Records, dating from 1973 and 1974. ‘Valley Hi’ was produced by Monkee Mike Nesmith and included legendary session musicians Byron Berline and Red Rhodes, whilst ‘Some Days’ had Jeff ‘Skunk’ Baxter, David Lindley and Andy Roberts amongst others.
Remastered, apparently.

https://www.bgo-records.com/albums/bgocd1272-valley-hi-some-days-you-eat-the-bear-and-some-days-the-bear-eats-you

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 12:10:48 PM »

I'm in....

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 01:53:39 PM »

Matthews’ two solo albums for Elektra Records, dating from 1973 and 1974. ‘Valley Hi’ was produced by Monkee Mike Nesmith and included legendary session musicians Byron Berline and Red Rhodes, whilst ‘Some Days’ had Jeff ‘Skunk’ Baxter, David Lindley and Andy Roberts amongst others.
Remastered, apparently.

https://www.bgo-records.com/albums/bgocd1272-valley-hi-some-days-you-eat-the-bear-and-some-days-the-bear-eats-you

Thanks, Skirk, I may just avail myself.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 04:13:45 PM »

I'm definitely in too! I have that Elektra compilation of the first Plainsong and these two albums but it will be good to hear them in full.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 05:05:18 PM »

I love both these albums, Valley Hi in particular. Iain seems unhappy with that album, having complained about Mike Nesmith's hand-picked Nashville-flavored musicians in particular. I happen to love it. He likes "Some Days" better, because it's loaded with L.A. session aces like David Lindley and Skunk Baxter (former Doobie Brother Smiley). A good way to compare the two is to listen to both versions of "Keep On Sailing."  Sorry, Iain, but I prefer the Valley Hi version.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 06:38:06 PM »

I've found a few tracks from these albums on You Tube - some interesting stuff, some not to my taste (Nashville "Shady LieS" - urgh!) - not sure I'll shell out for it.

Interesting snippet from one Amazon review, a propos IM's version of "Dirty Work", the reviewer claims that IM was touted as a replacement for David Palmer. Sounds a bit far fetched to me.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 06:49:50 PM »

Great stuff. Me too  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
jonmuse

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 02:32:11 PM »

I remember playing 7 bridges road for a friend who was a huge eagles fan. He just snorted and said that Iain copied the Eagles not for note. He was pretty torqued to find out that it was actually the other way around.  Roll Eyes
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 03:03:51 PM »

I don't want to rain on the Ian Matthews parade, but every BGO release carries the word 'remastered'. There,  as elsewhere, it means not  a lot these days. Just saying.  Cool
garrypbrooks

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 03:11:21 PM »

I remember playing 7 bridges road for a friend who was a huge eagles fan. He just snorted and said that Iain copied the Eagles not for note. He was pretty torqued to find out that it was actually the other way around.  Roll Eyes

A reporter asked Tom Waits what he thought of the Eagles cover of Old 55.His response: "the nicest thing you can say about an Eagles album is it keeps the dust off the turntable."

I'll second hand that opinion.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 05:24:38 PM »

Well that was an expensive little excursion you sent me on to that website. Not so much for Iain Matthews but for albums by The Hooters, Tom Verlaine, Little Steven, Jennifer Warnes and Glen Campbell.

What a treasure trove that label is. I already have several of their wares by Poco, Joan Baez, Marvin Welch & Farrar & Katrina & The Waves amongst others.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 09:41:06 PM »

A reporter asked Tom Waits what he thought of the Eagles cover of Old 55.His response: "the nicest thing you can say about an Eagles album is it keeps the dust off the turntable."

I'll second hand that opinion.

My favourite quote about Eagles is David Crosby's - "Those songs are a mile wide, but an inch deep".

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
folkfreak (Alexander)
My EMI doesn't have the dropouts

Loc: Ludwigshafen, Germany

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 09:58:11 AM »

I don't want to rain on the Ian Matthews parade, but every BGO release carries the word 'remastered'. There,  as elsewhere, it means not  a lot these days. Just saying.  Cool

Yep, I stopped buying them after the Five hand reel one. It just gets brighter, trebely and loud.

The old Steeleye, Thompson and Albion BGO CDs were so fantastic...
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 03:22:35 PM »

Yep, I stopped buying them after the Five hand reel one. It just gets brighter, trebely and loud.

The old Steeleye, Thompson and Albion BGO CDs were so fantastic...

Too true.You have to pick carefully with BGO.
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 07:38:56 PM »

Dead right, with batch processing in Adobe Audition, it takes 5 minutes to add a bit of sparkle and bottom end to 12 tracks and save them to a new "remaster"!!! Less on a modern fast computer - I bought mine in 2011 and I abuse it regularly with 1gb 48k 24 bit recordings!!
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 03:53:06 PM »

Dead right, with batch processing in Adobe Audition, it takes 5 minutes to add a bit of sparkle and bottom end to 12 tracks and save them to a new "remaster"!!! Less on a modern fast computer - I bought mine in 2011 and I abuse it regularly with 1gb 48k 24 bit recordings!!

Now there's interesting. You can 'remaster' to your own taste, then?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: