TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:52:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What keeps you awake at night muttering, "The horror, the horror"?  (Voting closed: March 11, 2017, 10:47:09 AM)
My Feet Are Set For Dancing - 13.8%
Mr Lacey - 2.3%
Our Bus Rolls On - 25.3%
Night Time Girl - 13.8%
The Crowd - 12.6%
Ukelele Central - 32.2%

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport @ 50 Vote - Least Fave Song  (Read 8663 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« on: March 05, 2017, 10:47:09 AM »

I propose to burn a disc of all the nominated songs (and additionally Keep On Turning The Wheel, which surely somebody should have suggested), ritually destroy it and post pictures at the end of this vote as an act of catharsis.

Two votes each.

Poll closes, Friday lunchtime.
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 01:16:00 PM »

I've just listened to the extract of Our Bus Rolls On that's available on Amazon.

Oh dear.

There's only one FC song that's allowed to namecheck the band members, and that's Angel Delight.
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 09:25:27 AM »

No, no! I love Mr Lacey!
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 10:04:06 AM »

I've just listened to the extract of Our Bus Rolls On that's available on Amazon.

Oh dear.

Only just heard a clip on Amazon. That is the worst thing I have ever heard. There used to be stuff like that played in my old Ma's care home on Sunday afternoons.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 11:19:35 AM »

No, no! I love Mr Lacey!

Likewise, especially the rockier version RT included on his (guitar,vocal) compilation. It was recorded by the BBC at Aeolian Hall in Dec 68 in mono!

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 11:34:54 AM »

Oh dear.

Only just heard a clip on Amazon. That is the worst thing I have ever heard. There used to be stuff like that played in my old Ma's care home on Sunday afternoons.

It is not good I will grant you but the worst thing you have ever heard? Bear in mind this is a world where My Feet Are Set For Dancing exists. And that is just within the Fairport oeuvre. There is a whole universe of unlistenable sh1te beyond that!
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 03:19:18 PM »

Oh dear.

It is not good I will grant you but the worst thing you have ever heard? Bear in mind this is a world where My Feet Are Set For Dancing exists. And that is just within the Fairport oeuvre. There is a whole universe of unlistenable sh1te beyond that!

I'd agree with this really. I did vote for it, as it is pretty grim - and I'm someone who rather likes the current line up, despite being a FC fan since the early 70s, but it's not the worst thing I've ever heard by a long way.
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 10:00:59 AM »

Oh dear.

The sentiments are there though eh? Fairport family etc  Undecided

I'd agree with this really. I did vote for it, as it is pretty grim - and I'm someone who rather likes the current line up, despite being a FC fan since the early 70s, but it's not the worst thing I've ever heard by a long way.

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Greg E

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 01:40:59 PM »

On the basis that 'Our Bus Rolls on' is only actually officially released today (and my first listen in full) then surely it wins, everyone who has heard it so far must have voted for it Wink
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 05:56:22 PM »

Ukelele Central. I'm thinking that it's not so much a bad track, it's just that Ukeleles have gone from being a fun novelty, to really annoying.

Banjo Central, might work  Grin  

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 06:29:22 PM »

Ukelele Central. I'm thinking that it's not so much a bad track, it's just that Ukeleles have gone from being a fun novelty, to really annoying.

Banjo Central, might work  Grin  

For me, the actual use of ukuleles within the song is totally irrelevant.
It's the sheer banality of the lyrics and singing that made it so dire for me.

No Left Turn Unstoned
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 09:10:47 AM »

For me, the actual use of ukuleles within the song is totally irrelevant.
It's the sheer banality of the lyrics and singing that made it so dire for me.

Banality of the lyrics, singing, melody... everything, really.

I've just forced myself to listen to the whole song on Spotify. It's audio saccharine.

EDIT - And Summer By The Cherwell too. I'm sure it's possible to write a decent song about Cropredy that isn't drowning in twee, but nobody's managed it yet.
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 09:38:53 AM »

I'm sure it's possible to write a decent song about Cropredy that isn't drowning in twee, but nobody's managed it yet.

Red & Gold?
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 11:24:24 AM »

I meant the festival specifically.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: