TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
January 21, 2020, 01:10:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gene Clark  (Read 532 times)
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« on: November 17, 2019, 05:23:00 PM »

Just a reminder about the excellent Gene Clark documentary, ‘The Byrd who Flew alone’.  BBC4 10.55 tonight.

By the way, has anyone heard the second disc on the ‘No Other’ reissue?  Any good?

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 09:47:49 AM »

I made a point of looking this out this week since I had some home alone time. For those who haven’t seen it, it’s a really sympathetic summary of the life and career of someone who’s always occupied that middle ground between Gram Parsons and Dennis Wilson in the should be better regarded lost self-destructive genius stakes, both musically and historically.
The surviving original Byrds are generous with their recollections and David Crosby in particular is occasionally honest and rueful about his part in the story - as he increasingly seems to be these days.
The Long Ryders’ Sid Griffin gives the historical critical overview, and family members fill in the detail. It’s a really good way of spending an hour and a half of your time, and is likely to be a spur to seek out more (or at least, some) of his work.
Get a shift on, mind, as according to the BBC iPlayer it’s only there until this Wednesday.

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 01:10:15 PM »

I made a point of looking this out this week since I had some home alone time. For those who haven’t seen it, it’s a really sympathetic summary of the life and career of someone who’s always occupied that middle ground between Gram Parsons and Dennis Wilson in the should be better regarded lost self-destructive geniusstakes, both musically and historically.
The surviving original Byrds are generous with their recollections and David Crosby in particular is occasionally honest and rueful about his part in the story - as he increasingly seems to be these days.
The Long Ryders’ Sid Griffin gives the historical critical overview, and family members fill in the detail. It’s a really good way of spending an hour and a half of your time, and is likely to be a spur to seek out more (or at least, some) of his work.
Get a shift on, mind, as according to the BBC iPlayer it’s only there until this Wednesday.

Thanks for the reminder, Shane  Smiley

I very nearly bought the deluxe version of No Other the other day, but I thought my other half deserved a Christmas present and something to eat, so I stopped myself.  I'm still very tempted.

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 06:11:22 PM »

Just watched it - excellent.  Some of the MCH stuff should have carried a warning...I'd forgotten how 'of their time' they were.  Crosby is so thoughtful and reflective that he takes a minute to say 8 words.  He's definitely been at his own weed.  McGuinn is very odd.  But Hillman looks like a decent human being who one could spend time with.  He also looks by far the healthiest septuagenarian you'll ever see in your life.  

Hard not to see the pain and damage of it all in those two boys.... I really liked the older one especially.

I'm still disappointed he didn't make it to Europe the year he died.  I think I'm right in saying he was announced on the bill at Cambridge (which I'd bought tickets for) a few weeks before he died.

Good documentary.  Recommended.

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 09:34:48 PM »

Is it a new doc, or a repeat of an old one?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
wayne stote

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 12:12:20 AM »

Is it a new doc, or a repeat of an old one?

Jules

I saw it a few years ago. Can't remember the channel though so maybe the first time on BBC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: