TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:09:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Fairport CD  (Read 182237 times)
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« on: November 24, 2016, 09:58:24 AM »

From the latest Fairport mailout...

"There’ll also be an anniversary album early next year. It will be titled '50:50@50' - half the tracks celebrate Fairport’s illustrious past with recent live versions of favourites from our back catalogue while the other half look to the band’s present and future with studio recordings of brand new songs and tunes. The studio tracks were recorded at Woodworm Studio earlier this month and some of the live recordings aren’t much older. The new album is produced and engineered by our ineffable soundman John Gale and features guest appearances from Jacqui McShee and Robert Plant."

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 02:58:06 PM »

oh dear, more of the same Embarrassed
just what the world needs, live versions of old tracks, like we dont have any Cry

The Dude abides
PL (Peter)
able to create swamp magic

Loc: SW Germany

If it`s Wednesday, you survived Tuesday.

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 07:34:01 AM »

Look at it the positive way:
you don`t have to buy it  Wink
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 08:20:18 AM »

I'm surprised it's not called 'Between a rock and a hard place'.  They really can't win, poor things, but I'm far from sure this very leaden idea really tries....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 08:45:24 AM »

While I have enjoyed the occasional track from their post-Swarb era, I can't help comparing their situation to that of Steeleye, whose recent albums have mostly met with praise on TAW. The content and concepts of SS albums seem totally different and fired with a different sort of enthusiasm. Their music has a heavier rock beat. Could this be down to Maddy's influence or from having a rockier drummer? I don't know.

I haven't bought an FC album since SOO (only played that once!) and would be sad to see them go the way of old footballers, sliding down into the equivalent of the Conference.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 10:00:13 AM »

Look at it the positive way:
you don`t have to buy it  Wink

bang on , I dont .
but the thing is my DNA is wired to be excited at the mere thought of a new FC lp even though ive been mainly disappointed since the Swarbless reformation.
i have broken the habit and didn't buy Myths and Heroes, a decision i haven't regretted, and i dont feel there's anything missing in my record collection.

The Dude abides
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 10:37:49 AM »

I can't help thinking that the title is driving the format rather than the other way around.

Disappointing.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 11:42:20 AM »

I can't help thinking that the title is driving the format rather than the other way around.

In a nutshell - That's what it looks like, isn't it.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 12:20:12 PM »

So, once again, a Fairport release is being pulled to pieces before it's released. Didn't this happen before 'Myths and Heroes' and wasn't the consensus that it wasn't a bad record, quite good, in fact?

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 12:40:59 PM »

The Steeleye Comparison is an interesting one.
I saw Steeleye in 2012 I think. Ken Nicol and Pete Zorn were with them.In Brum with a friend who was a real Steeleye afficianado.
He was very disappointed that they were just going through the motions.
Then Peter Knight left. I have loved his playing for over 40 yrs and still love his stuff with gig spanner. Perhaps he didn't like where the band were going with Wintersmith, I really don't know.
A new , arguably rockier fiddle player, Julian's gtr and vocals and now a second lead guitar have basically rebuilt the band. I have loved the last few gigs I have seen. They can still do some back catalogue cos they still have Maddys voice.
I can't see how Fairports can do anything except what they are doing. A double album of live tracks of classics and a new originals album may have expanded the idea a bit.
Could they have made a groundbreaking new folk rock album involving a bunch of guests mapping the last 50 yrs ? Financially probably no.
Cropredy and Fairports are where they are. As comfortable as an old pair of slippers, the old leather photograph album, discovered,cobweb covered in the loft, of great memories. Whilst, downstairs, some new pictures of the grandkids.
Would I like Fairports to produce great original stuff, pushing the envelope a bit?Of course I would.
Do I still love the band and the memories they evoke? Of course I do.
The new album will basically be what you get at a present day Fairport gig. Some old stuff done differently by this incarnation and some new stuff, often high quality song writing by Chris but his writing is being compared to folk icons like, Denny, Swarbrick and RT .
At an open mic the other night it got a bit of a memorial to Leonard Cohen and conversations turned to comparisons of Cohen and Dylan. There was a strong opinion that the writing of Richard Thompson had also to be in there.
Difficult for any incarnation of the band to compete with that.
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 04:27:04 PM »

So, once again, a Fairport release is being pulled to pieces before it's released. Didn't this happen before 'Myths and Heroes' and wasn't the consensus that it wasn't a bad record, quite good, in fact?

If 'quite good' is all you aspire to, then that's fine.

But I don't buy 'quite good' albums anymore.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 06:08:44 PM »

No, I really liked 'Myths and Heroes' (I was understating it for effect) but the main point I was making was that people are already making judgements about an album that hasn't been released yet, based on a press release.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 07:48:44 PM »

I now avoid threads that endlessly criticise........so spend less time on TAW. It seems to have become very negative. Shame. It's such a pity that criticism seems to be the order of the day in cyberspace. Sometimes I don't feel I can say I like something without bringing down someone's wrath or contempt.

I don't want shameless adoration for them, but it seems as if they can do nothing right. If they were that bad, they wouldn't still be touring and selling out gigs.

I go to gigs, and listen to CDS, open minded, and enjoy what I hear or not, but don't keep comparing as it's (to me) pointless.

Can we just stop the slagging off for a while? It gets very boring.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 08:27:13 PM »

I now avoid threads that endlessly criticise........so spend less time on TAW. It seems to have become very negative. Shame. It's such a pity that criticism seems to be the order of the day in cyberspace. Sometimes I don't feel I can say I like something without bringing down someone's wrath or contempt.

I don't want shameless adoration for them, but it seems as if they can do nothing right. If they were that bad, they wouldn't still be touring and selling out gigs.

I go to gigs, and listen to CDS, open minded, and enjoy what I hear or not, but don't keep comparing as it's (to me) pointless.

Can we just stop the slagging off for a while? It gets very boring.

Couldn't agree more Diane...  why do peeps bother to even be here if all they can do is criticise the band that is the foundation of this site...  it just goes on and on.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 08:31:40 PM »

Criticism of an existing product may sometimes be valid, but criticism of something that doesn't yet exist is just a wee bit over-enthusiastic IMHO.

Incidentally, I liked Myths and Heroes a lot.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 08:50:34 PM »

spend less time on TAW. It seems to have become very negative.

Has it?  I really don't share this point of view.  My overwhelming impression of TAW is that it's a kind, friendly, and positive place.  Fighting is rare.  Most of us get along with most others.  Not everyone is going to love everybody else, but in the main I reckon the vibes are good.  We're all music fans, so maybe we don't pull our punches where music is concerned, but TAW "very negative"?  I don't see it.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 09:01:18 PM »

I agree with Diane in that criticism of a product before you've even heard a track? What's the point? Speculate what might be on it, but hold your thoughts until you've heard it.

Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2016, 09:02:36 PM »

I think all the talkawhilers I've met are a thoroughly nice bunch. I personally feel a bit underwhelmed by the prospect of half the songs being live recordings (especially as there are already many fine recordings available). I'd feel the same no matter who the band were. I was hoping for a record bringing as many past members together as possible as guests. Having said that, I'm looking forward to the new studio tracks, and really looking forward the 50th tour and May Union Chapel gig.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2016, 09:30:36 PM »

spend less time on TAW. It seems to have become very negative.

Has it?  I really don't share this point of view.  My overwhelming impression of TAW is that it's a kind, friendly, and positive place.  Fighting is rare.  Most of us get along with most others.  Not everyone is going to love everybody else, but in the main I reckon the vibes are good.  We're all music fans, so maybe we don't pull our punches where music is concerned, but TAW "very negative"?  I don't see it.

Jules

Maybe I'm guilty here of thinking about TAW when I first joined..... and times gone by! Embarrassed Whoops!

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2016, 11:19:57 PM »

Maybe I'm guilty here of thinking about TAW when I first joined..... and times gone by! Embarrassed Whoops!

I've been here for a decade now (I just checked - it blew my mind a bit!), but I'm still relatively a new kid on the block.  Maybe I missed the golden era of TAW, or maybe I caught some of it, or maybe the golden era continues.  I suppose different people will have differing perceptions on that.  Times gone by can have a powerful pull sometimes.  I remember the first music forum I joined when I first went online.  It was special, magical.  And now it barely exists.  TAW is doing a damned sight better than that at least.   Smiley

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: